Author Topic: [HAMR] Ossie Nicholson  (Read 2168 times)

[HAMR] Ossie Nicholson
« on: 12 April, 2015, 04:03:57 pm »
I am a bit curious about Ossie Nicholson, my compatriot and the only cyclist to have held the "Tommy Godwin" record twice.  There's not even a wikipedia entry for him and now that the new contender, Miles Smith, is following pretty precisely in his wheel ruts, I thought I'd put down what I found.

Osrick Bernard Nicholson was born in Melbourne in 1910 or 1911.

From wikipedia, he claimed the record first  in 1933 with 70,756 km, then again in '37 where he beat two other contenders with a total of 100,837km.   Of course two years after that he was beaten by Tommy Godwin by 20,000km, and also by Bernard Bennett by a "mere" 4000km.

Ossie set the record by riding from Melbourne to Portsea and back every day, which is something like 95km each way (and 70,756/365 = 194).  He reset the record by then doing it all again, and  twice some days.

This is him around 17 or 18

Making some money after he set his record for the second time.  Is it just me, or is that a distrustful glance he's giving that saddle?

And dining in a shop window!

And then finally, this sad little story

Ossie Nicholson on Bigamy Charge

MELBOURNE. Monday. - Bail of £25, with a similar personal security, was allowed at Fitzroy Court to-day to Osrick Bernard Nicholson (29), cycle mechanic, professional cyclist and record breaker, of Richmond, when he was committed for trial on a charge of having gone through the form of marriage with a woman on January 34, 1940, while his wife. Annie May Nicholson, whom he had married on December 23, 1929), was still living.
Nicholson pleaded not guilty. 
Detective Heath said that Nicholson told him he realised he had made a mistake, but had done nothing wrong wilfully, and wanted to help in clearing up everything. Nicholson had separated from his wife in 1932. and had been told by her three years later that she wanted a divorce. He had given her £25 for the divorce, and had seen a Nicholson v. Nicholson divorce case listed and had assumed that it was his.  Mrs. Nicholson denied having received money from her husband for a divorce.

Do you think Miles will follow up this way, too?  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Ossie Nicholson
« Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2015, 07:01:06 pm »
I thought he rode the Tour de France with Oppy, between the wars. I know he raced with and against Oppy quite a bit.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:16:13 pm »
Abandoned on stage 4 in 1931, having ridden from Paris to Brest.
http://www.tourfacts.dk/root/tour_de_france_riders.php?id=3629

Opperman finished in 1928 and 1931.
http://www.tourfacts.dk/root/tour_de_france_riders.php?id=3627

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2015, 11:38:39 pm »
There's a bit more on the German Wikipedia here: -
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossie_Nicholson

According to that site he broke his chainring on Stage 3 of the 1931 TdF, and walked 18km to the finish. The 'abandonment' was because he failed to make the cut off time.

He was also a singer, and when he retired he moved to New Zealand where he worked in childrens' radio until he died in the 1960s. With regards to the Bigamy story you linked to, there's little information given, but the article says he received a short prison sentence for it.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:14:47 am »

Ossie set the record by riding from Melbourne to Portsea and back every day, which is something like 95km each way (and 70,756/365 = 194).  He reset the record by then doing it all again, and  twice some days.

I think we may have found the reason for his choice of route......

« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2015, 08:17:09 am »

I think we may have found the reason for his choice of route......

A girl in every port? ;D