Author Topic: [HAMR] May 14th - Teethgrinder Day 134  (Read 1658 times)

[HAMR] May 14th - Teethgrinder Day 134
« on: 14 May, 2015, 07:43:11 am »
Good morning followers of Steve

Here's hoping for another big distance day for the record attempt.

GO STEVE
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

Re: May 14th - Teethgrinder Day 134
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:10:21 am »
Yes, 150 miles yesterday so things are getting back on track. Given his level of commitment in the face of adversity who would bet against him breaking Tommy's record this year?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:52:09 am »
Yesterday was a turning point.  I've been projecting forward using Steve's published schedules from June and ramping his miles up in May. This time yesterday those projections put his lower schedule finishing the year short of the record.  From today if Steve adds 5 miles a day until he reaches his lower schedule (240 this month) he'll finish the year 407 miles ahead.

If I were a sky fairy follower I'd be praying for no more outside influences.

Go Steve :thumbsup:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:54:15 am »
6 weeks after breaking an ankle so badly it needed pins he has just ridden 150 miles upright.  That's the sort of recovery that the hardest men in sport - National Hunt Jockets aim for.  AP McCoy has just retired.  Does TG become the new hardest man in sport?
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:51:08 am »
Based on his performance for the first quarter of the year, when he was consistently on his upper target during the hard winter months I would say he could easily afford to be behind the lower schedule for Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep and assuming a full recovery / improved fitness hit the upper schedule numbers for Oct/Nov/Dec

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2015, 11:53:10 am »
Based on his performance for the first quarter of the year, when he was consistently on his upper target during the hard winter months I would say he could easily afford to be behind the lower schedule for Jun/Jul/Aug/Sep and assuming a full recovery / improved fitness hit the upper schedule numbers for Oct/Nov/Dec

It will be the wind and rain in the autumn months that will be the constraint - if we have a calm autumn he will be able to add the miles - but doing 200+ mile days in gales will be more difficult
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

red marley

« Reply #6 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:18:58 pm »
It looks like we will have a significant El NiƱo this year, so potentially some quite disruptive late autumn and winter weather. As it always was, this remains a difficult record to predict.

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:54:30 pm »

It will be the wind and rain in the autumn months that will be the constraint - if we have a calm autumn he will be able to add the miles - but doing 200+ mile days in gales will be more difficult

"We're going to need a bigger boat country".