Author Topic: [HAMR] 29th November - Teethgrinder Day 114/333  (Read 5785 times)

[HAMR] 29th November - Teethgrinder Day 114/333
« on: 29 November, 2015, 10:40:52 am »
Heading off South West from MK today.

Chapeau Steve! :thumbsup:

Re: 29th November - Teethgrinder Day 114/333
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2015, 10:47:03 am »
Uber gusty today... 

Go Steve!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 29 November, 2015, 04:30:18 pm »
Heading off South West from MK today.

Chapeau Steve! :thumbsup:

Pulled a Crazy Ivan at Steeple Claydon (not MARSH GIBBON  :'() and now heading more or less NE again through the badlands where Beds meets Northants.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #3 on: 29 November, 2015, 04:54:40 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=85fQYevbt5c&feature=youtu.be

Iddu asking for downwind car return transfers.
Does this request come from TG himself, thought the opinion had always been that transfers waste too much time.
Already there are predictable comments from faceache experts!

Tough few weeks out there.

« Reply #4 on: 29 November, 2015, 06:09:43 pm »
Speaking from a position of complete ignorance, obviously. But this is beginning to feel like the first real 'crisis' of the attempt (notwithstanding getting knocked off his bike and breaking his ankle) . The video appeal rather reinforces the sense that he may physically struggle to do this. Let's hope not & he can pull through this period. Allez!

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 29 November, 2015, 06:24:38 pm »
It may be prompted by (a) stronger winds over a longer than anticipated period; (b) recognition that Kurt (who has had this kind of assistance all year when needed) may push the record up by a couple of thousand miles. Don't think I'd call it a 'crisis' personally, but it is a recognition that there is a balance to be struck between pragmatism and purity in the attempt.

« Reply #6 on: 29 November, 2015, 06:55:54 pm »
Bear in mind he's got until next August on 2nd attempt - time readjusting/tweaking a few things now will be for the better when he's through the worst of the winter ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #7 on: 29 November, 2015, 07:33:48 pm »
If this was really a chance encounter, as Idai (nb not Iddu otp) says at the beginning, then it doesn't sound as if it has Steve's input at all. Just my view, but I feel it changes the flavour of the attempt.

« Reply #8 on: 29 November, 2015, 07:44:34 pm »
I applaud Steve for trying to do the challenge in the UK in the same way as tommy Godwin did but the reality is that he can't.  The A1 is not suitable for going up and down in a straight line and if the other challenger is doing it on pan flat roads in florida then it is daft to keep doing it in the UK in this weather.  Drive down to the South of France and just cycle in Spain or Italy or France where it is warm and relatively dry and can be flat.

« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2015, 08:23:29 pm »
If Tommy used nighttrains to return, why shouldn't Steve use a car to return after a day's riding?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 29 November, 2015, 08:28:55 pm »
time to bounce back Steve, i believe in you!!

« Reply #11 on: 29 November, 2015, 09:09:21 pm »
If Tommy used nighttrains to return, why shouldn't Steve use a car to return after a day's riding?

Because Tommy didn't.

« Reply #12 on: 29 November, 2015, 09:46:40 pm »
Something will need to change soon or this attempt will be over. On Jo's most recent chart, it looks like Steve will dip below Kurt's line in 4-5 days with the current daily distances. Ignoring days from the moped accident to the restart, on how many days has Steve ridden further than Kurt? My perception from Strava is that it is <20% and maybe <10%. If so, then recovering from that position will be very tough.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2015, 09:48:05 pm »
Something will need to change soon or this attempt will be over. On Jo's most recent chart, it looks like Steve will dip below Kurt's line in 4-5 days with the current daily distances. Ignoring days from the moped accident to the restart, on how many days has Steve ridden further than Kurt? My perception from Strava is that it is <20% and maybe <10%. If so, then recovering from that position will be very tough.

It's the most rubbish time of the year for cycling.  He'll get there for sure.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2015, 10:00:10 pm »

It's the most rubbish time of the year for cycling.  He'll get there for sure.

Yes, it's really hard out there. But my point is that it was my perception that Steve has been riding shorter distances at all times of year (sometimes not by much, and I could just be plain wrong - let's hope so!).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 29 November, 2015, 10:27:59 pm »
Barton Mills travelodge for the night, by the looks of it. It's grim out there again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 29 November, 2015, 11:13:18 pm »

Yes, it's really hard out there. But my point is that it was my perception that Steve has been riding shorter distances at all times of year (sometimes not by much, and I could just be plain wrong - let's hope so!).

No you are spot on - distances have been way way down on expected mileages. Because he has not been able to reach the Godwin level per day in the warmest of months Aug to October I am pleased the vehicle transfer options are  (at last ) being thought about.  Let us also hope the diet adjustments prove beneficial.
 :thumbsup:

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #17 on: 30 November, 2015, 01:30:44 am »
Muchas respect for Steve.  Hard miles.

Allez Steve

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #18 on: 30 November, 2015, 06:40:23 am »
There's a saying that sticks in my mind "Winter miles count double".  On this basis, as Florida doesn't have a proper winter, Steve will always be well ahead.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #19 on: 30 November, 2015, 08:25:51 am »
I rode all day yesterday into that horrendous wind using many of Steve's recently used roads. Absolutely draining with average speeds down by about 4mph on normal. Even without his dietary issues, Steve's mileage would be down on his normal amount riding in that. How he manages to keep going at all under such trying circumstances is trully inspirational. Chapeau, Mr. A.

« Reply #20 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:03:13 am »
Even without his dietary issues, Steve's mileage would be down on his normal amount riding in that

Absolutely
There was one day I encountered a bus and two trucks that had been blown off the road into ditches
The diet is going as expected
Not intended to improve performance, though that may possibly happen.
It's a lot more about maintaining health and it should also help me spend a little longer on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if it helps me recover faster too.
Over the worst now. It's been very hard. Much tougher than January.
Start of phase 3 today. Seem to be going better though I started much later than planned.
My going better could also be related to my caffeine intake this morning or that I had problems and am rather passed off about it.
Calming down now and have re-jigged my plans.
I may even have a relaxing ride this afternoon instead of my recent stress fest.

The diet is basically a relatively short term loss so that I do well in winter. Once I am adapted, guessing at around a week or so for good adaption, the payback should be for the rest of the year. Even if only it prevents losses from illness (PBP lurgy) or muscle pains.
I am having to stop twice a day to eat at the moment. Part of phase 3 is getting that down to 1 but only when I am ready
Mileage could well go back up this week though the weather still isn't being kind.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #21 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:08:11 am »
'Not being kind' seems something of an understatement, Steve! I nearly got blown away just putting the bins out. Good luck with the new diet - I hope it achieves what you want it to, and hopefully the weather will calm down a bit and let you get back into your stride. More caffeine!!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:16:10 am »
'Not being kind' seems something of an understatement

Not arf!
Good to hear from you Steve, stay healthy and stay safe.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #23 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
All the best with the challenge, Steve. Incredible effort.

Allez!
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #24 on: 30 November, 2015, 09:42:44 am »
Does Team Steve really appreciate what a massive undertaking vehicle transfers are potentially going to be?  If Steve does a downwind Godwin, then whoever the kind soul is who ferries him back to MK is looking at a 400-mile round trip drive - 7 or 8 hours of nighttime driving.  Plus it will impact on the quality of Steve's sleep and possibly on his opportunity to eat.  Additional measures will need to be put in place to give him the opportunity to recharge his devices and download to Strava.

The more obvious way of easing the burden on Steve in this windy period would be to attract local riders to ride with him on short, looping circuits, providing him with shelter.  By keeping circuits short, riders could join or leave the effort as they wish (rather than commit to a 100-mile-return out-and-back journey, they could contribute 50 miles of shelter for 50 miles of their own riding).  I *know* that Steve is reluctant to adopt this approach, but it seems to me to be much more sustainable than vehicle transfers.

Nonetheless, I wish Steve the very best, and will keep my fingers crossed for a change in the weather soon...