Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517765 times)

Deano4

• Trouble
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3450 on: 19 February, 2019, 04:24:08 pm »
Roll call for August - when is everyone starting after yesterday evening's switches ?

The Hustler and I are both 18.15 and the Strangler is 19.15.

I am 19:00.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3451 on: 19 February, 2019, 04:25:41 pm »
I'm still not in, though this might change on Sunday night...

Good news for Huggy though eh  Ted!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3452 on: 19 February, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »
Huggy still hasn't told me when he was leaving but I don't think the 84h group times have changed so it will be his original time.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3453 on: 19 February, 2019, 05:15:10 pm »
Huggy still hasn't told me when he was leaving but I don't think the 84h group times have changed so it will be his original time.

Well done huggster.  I'm sure your hard won experience will be a huge advantage to the newbies

« Reply #3454 on: 19 February, 2019, 05:18:00 pm »

Well done huggster.  I'm sure your hard won experience will be a huge advantage to the newbies

Well it would be if he wasn't determined to ride with the semi-pro 84h lot, unsociable git  ::-)

He will see the light and join the ACME B or C peloton I hope.  It just wouldn't be the same without his cool head and sergeant major style discipline and shouting.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3455 on: 19 February, 2019, 05:20:36 pm »

Well it would be if he wasn't determined to ride with the semi-pro 84h lot, unsociable git  ::-)

Fing is, when you're as accomplished as our huggy it's hard not to be ambitious.  He's and inspiration to you all.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3456 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:09:47 am »
 :-X
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3457 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:11:13 am »

This means huggy’s doing PBP. He’s a man of few words.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3458 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:13:33 am »

It means there isn't a yacf emoji for a single finger salute while I trundle off in the opposite direction to France in August.

Advance notice for MEMWNS Wednesday evening refreshment gatherings until at least the end of August:
There will be an Independent Group table where conversation will be void of mention about That French Ride.  Two members have so far pledged support to the splinter group; beer and Merlot will be on the chosen list of beverages.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3459 on: 20 February, 2019, 09:46:51 am »
That’s a very good idea. But I wonder what Uncle Jeremy will think.

« Reply #3460 on: 20 February, 2019, 10:18:09 am »
Uncle Jeremy would no doubt tell you that you signed up to ACME in full knowledge of their underlying PBP manifesto and any defections from the party line will not be tolerated. He also would be neither supporting or not supporting a European venture.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3461 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:26:09 am »
The only problem with not sitting on the PBP table is that it’ll be more difficult to take the piss.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3462 on: 20 February, 2019, 11:51:58 am »
I think there should be an ACME People's Vote on whether huggy is doing PBP or not.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3463 on: 20 February, 2019, 12:20:20 pm »
I think there should be an ACME People's Vote on whether huggy is doing PBP or not.

That is a terrific idea  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3464 on: 20 February, 2019, 12:28:34 pm »

It means there isn't a yacf emoji for a single finger salute while I trundle off in the opposite direction to France in August.

Advance notice for MEMWNS Wednesday evening refreshment gatherings until at least the end of August:
There will be an Independent Group table where conversation will be void of mention about That French Ride.  Two members have so far pledged support to the splinter group; beer and Merlot will be on the chosen list of beverages.
I know I am by no means a regular these days (was I ever) but you can make it 3. I must avoid PBP discussion, it would be a very large expensive exercise for me!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3465 on: 20 February, 2019, 12:35:07 pm »
Uncle Jeremy would no doubt tell you that you signed up to ACME in full knowledge of their underlying PBP manifesto and any defections from the party line will not be tolerated. He also would be neither supporting or not supporting a European venture.

When Fiona Bruce sees sense and decides to do Question Time from The Compasses we’ll get you on the panel.

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3466 on: 20 February, 2019, 12:53:58 pm »

I know I am by no means a regular these days (was I ever) but you can make it 3. I must avoid PBP discussion, it would be a very large expensive exercise for me!

This is starting to look like the rebellion of the colonials. I have no desire to do PBP again. Plotting a tour of the Baltics (eurovelo 10/and 13) and a foray into Finland without the crowds and without the pressure and after two PBPs I just want to see something new.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3467 on: 20 February, 2019, 07:08:53 pm »
Roll call for August - when is everyone starting after yesterday evening's switches ?

The Hustler and I are both 18.15 and the Strangler is 19.15.

I am 19:00.

Now 19:00 also ... correction - 18:15, had a hard day!

« Reply #3468 on: 28 February, 2019, 01:36:53 pm »
Last night's MEMWNS was supposed to be an invite only VIP event, with the guest list restricted to three.

Unfortunately, Tomsk, Elias Hoseason and I were interrupted by a couple of gatecrashers; firstly by a member of one of those New Zealand biker gangs you read about and then by Jiber - who clearly thought that disguising himself as a clown would allow him to pass unnoticed.

The kiwi biker guy claimed to have ridden to Cambridge earlier that day but it was unclear whether that was on his mighty hog or an actual bike.  Judging by the state of him, I suspect the former but he talked a good game. 

The VIP venue was the Orange Tree who were hosting a JW Lees brewery tap takeover - poor on beer miles but good on taste.

We sampled their moonraker, founders, original lager, bitter, cosmic brew, dragon's fire, Manchester pale ale and stout.  With Jiber brought off the subs bench of the Quaffers committee, the cosmic brew was declared the Quaffers' Choice.

That French Ride was not discussed but there was plenty of technical chat about Jiber's Garmin scales (did anyone else even know that was an actual thing ?), Elias halving his weight in two years and how to sell things at a bike jumble sale.

It was a lot colder than I had expected when I got off the train (certainly a lot colder than it had been at 10am on the way in).  By the time I was crossing from the mainland to my hidden island retreat, the Garmin was showing zero degrees but it has been an absolute pleasure riding during the past couple of weeks of unseasonable weather so who's counting.

Next week we are back to our usual open door policy so all the riff raff of mid-Essex will be able to attend as normal.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3469 on: 28 February, 2019, 11:55:40 pm »
Next week we are back to our usual open door policy so all the riff raff of mid-Essex will be able to attend as normal.

To Witham's Woolie by all accounts!

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3470 on: 01 March, 2019, 11:29:32 am »

To Witham's Woolie by all accounts!

Special request:
Please don't change it! I'm unable to ride at the moment due to breathing issues (i.e. I can't sufficiently without a load of drugs) but am really missing the Wed nights. This would mean I can at least make this one - and perhaps Witham-based other halves could join in too. I also think a bottle of Merlot shared would be priceless to my recovery  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3471 on: 01 March, 2019, 11:32:59 am »
Noted, the Woolie it is!!!

« Reply #3472 on: 04 March, 2019, 07:28:03 pm »
The kiwi biker guy claimed to have ridden to Cambridge earlier that day but it was unclear whether that was on his mighty hog or an actual bike.  Judging by the state of him, I suspect the former but he talked a good game. 
I do not ride a hog. The good MRS Toppers informed me a hog would make it look like a mid life crisis!  ???

« Reply #3473 on: 22 March, 2019, 01:52:56 pm »
Return of the Bobb

Whilst the Viper at Fryerning proved to be a step too far for the intrepid Fandango, we still managed a good turnout at what is really a bit of an outlier for MEMWNS.  Unless, that is, you happen to live in Chelmsford.  In fact, it's almost as if somebody has taken over the forward planning and worked it around their training schedule  ;)

I made my own way up TMNH (to avoid the embarrassment of holding up the Witham peloton) and met Thomas Cochrane at his usual lurking spot outside the Generals.

We were soon joined by the Hustler, Hotblack and NWAFT none of whom even seemed to be puffing.  Immediately we set off at a furious pace through the Hanningfields to Fryerning.  Following behind Hotblack (albeit briefly as he accelerated away), I noticed that his cassette basically consisted of several sprockets of almost identical size.  Apparently, he was running 39/53 and 12-21 so although he was changing gear regularly, it can't have been making much difference.

The Viper was heaving when we got there which is always encouraging when you have a good old-fashioned country pub.  Tomsk, the guy from the Stanway Mongrel Mob, Bobb and Joergen were already in place and sampling. We were soon joined by Gordon Burns.  It wasn't always easy to hear properly in such a busy pub so I didn't quite work out whether that was Gordon completing his MEMWNs SR or just doing the 400k leg. 

Sadly, the conversation then slipped into some deep geekdom - probably inevitable when you have that sort of concentration of IT bods.  While Tomsk nodded sagely and pretended he knew what 12x12 squares meant, the Hustler and I did Gareth Cheeseman impersonations and wondered why we had never seen Alan Partridge and OD together at the same time. 

We also discussed Gordon's forthcoming assault on the Tour Divide.  We were all pretending to be fairly blasé about a 4,400k ride but the masks slipped when he mentioned it was offroad.  No wonder the ballroom in the east wing of Stortford Manor has been turned into TD HQ.  As well as an extensive library dealing with subjects as widely spread as avoiding bear attacks, living off roadkill and how to squeal like a piggy, he is also building a papier mache scale model of the whole route with the exact gradients. 

We sampled Heresy by Bishop Nick, Brewers Gold by Crouch Vale and Blackwater Mild by Crouch Vale all of which were excellent but Brewers Gold took the Quaffers' Choice Award by a whisker having served as an ideal recovery drink after the trauma of trying to keep up on the way to the pub.  Even in shorts and a thin top, I was a sweaty mess by the time I reached that drink.

It was still warm when we left the pub so no need to add knee warmers.  Apologies to the peloton for "sprinting" off down New London Road in Chelmsford.  I suddenly realised that I could just catch a train which would deliver me to Marks Tey at exactly the right time to avoid the high tide on the way home.  Needless to say, having sped off to the station and arrived just in time to catch the train, it was delayed by 7 minutes.  At least the timing worked as I passed the fire engine that waits on the island during high tides just as it was leaving.  I didn't manage to beat the street lights though.

« Reply #3474 on: 23 March, 2019, 07:42:22 pm »
Nice write-up of proceedings Ted, save a few technical inaccuracies  :)

ACME on the Cycling Podcast

This weeks edition of the Cycling Podcast features none other than our very own Soupy, the self-promoted lithe racing demon.

Soupy asked a very articulate question, along the lines of what can one do if you only weigh 60kg and as a consequence you suffer from the conditions through the autumn and winter.

The not so articulate answer can be summarised as ‘eat more’!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43