Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 523747 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3475 on: 24 March, 2019, 08:45:37 am »
^ And Soupy is going up to the Beeb in Salford for a short internship on the Bespoke podcast in the near future  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3476 on: 24 March, 2019, 09:34:25 am »
^ And Soupy is going up to the Beeb in Salford for a short internship on the Bespoke podcast in the near future  :thumbsup:

Superb news. Good luck Soupy, another very useful opportunity.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #3477 on: 28 March, 2019, 12:08:41 pm »
Allo allo et bienvenue a Nouvion.

A PBP year will always bring a French flavour to our nocturnal excursions and with OD heading off to French France on a prolonged sojourn there was all the more reason to hold our first French themed evening.

The venue, was Les Malteurs in Heybridge, seldom visited but well regarded.  I arrived to find Joergen sitting in the corner still trying to digest his romantic dinner for one - small wonder, the food on his plate matched his trademark labourer's hi-viz tabard that he so loves.

We were soon joined by Tomsk, the Hustler, le Duc de la Taquin, OD and Abraham Duquesne.

With Grays' pubs the selection can be a bit hit and miss and last night's was nothing like as good as on our last visit when we had the famous "best stout ever".  We managed to sample No. 88 by Colchester Brewery and Polar Beer by Wibblers with the former taking the coveted Quaffers' Choice Award.

There wasn't much chat about the French Ride, it being banned, but we did manage to discuss a bit of logistics.  Tomsk is taking the hairshirt option and riding there via Auchterarder with his wild camping kit in his carradice.  Meanwhile Joergen is book-ending his trip with recuperative stays at the George V where he has booked one of those things where small fish nibble the soles of your feet.  Actually, I may have misheard, perhaps he was nibbling several feet of small fish whilst alone or maybe he was stealing the souls of fishermen while he nibbled - it makes no odds, he would be equally happy with any of those options as long as no mushrooms were involved.

OD was quieter than usual as he is extremely busy loading action shots of himself on to his instagram account for his new John Noakes lookalike venture.  No one had the heart to tell him that John Noakes is not quite the megastar in France that he is here.   On the couple of occasions when he did manage to raise his head from his 'phone, he joined our discourse on auto-icons, Saxondale. homeland security and whipping.

It was a pleasure to be out on a rare windless evening and there was still no need for knee warmers on the way home.  With BST imminent, we can revert to the strict more miles less beer regime that we adopted in 2015 (Joergen, please note which way round the regime works - "road beers" are not part of the solution here).

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #3478 on: 28 March, 2019, 12:48:09 pm »
I do believe it is Papa d'Oscar's last Wednesday on 28th April, so a suitable French-themed send-off might be in order at the 'Rose et Couronne' in Maldon.

« Reply #3479 on: 28 March, 2019, 01:33:45 pm »
I must admit, I do look forward to seeing which character I am on each write-up.  Last week's character was particularly fascinating, with a wiki entry here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald although this week's character does keep up with the French connection, even if he fought for the Swedes!

This is the link to the "Boring Talks" about the Auto-Icon https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06s091q of Jeremy Bentham at UCL.  An interesting listen, even if it dispels some myths and legends that were better than the truth!

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #3480 on: 28 March, 2019, 01:45:41 pm »
Cochrane is a bit of a hero of mine and is considered to be the inspiration behind Jack Aubrey.

I read a good book about him - needless to say, I can't remember what it was called but I should have it at home somewhere.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3481 on: 28 March, 2019, 02:08:17 pm »
Entertaining as usual... road beer made it home unopened... might pop it tonight whilst shouting at the telly...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3482 on: 28 March, 2019, 02:17:54 pm »
As long as your carer is on hand, you should be alright.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3483 on: 04 April, 2019, 02:18:32 pm »
I can't be bothered to write up the whole of yesterday evening's events suffice to say that there was a good turnout with added WAG goodness and it was chuffin' cold on the way home from The Compasses.  However...

Our psyclist is doing the Tour Divide next year (he may have mentioned it  ::-)  :-* ) and there is every chance he might encounter bears hell bent on eating him.  Me and jibers were very keen to offer advice on how not to get eaten by bears, clearly jiber's extensive knowledge of alpacas was dead handy as was my ability to spout bullshit on just about any subject under the sun.  So, if you have any tips on how not to get eaten by a bear (or indeed a mountain lion) psyclist will, I'm sure, be very grateful to hear them.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3484 on: 04 April, 2019, 06:15:17 pm »
I can't be bothered to write up the whole of yesterday evening's events suffice to say that there was a good turnout with added WAG goodness and it was chuffin' cold on the way home from The Compasses.  However...

Our psyclist is doing the Tour Divide next year (he may have mentioned it  ::-)  :-* ) and there is every chance he might encounter bears hell bent on eating him.  Me and jibers were very keen to offer advice on how not to get eaten by bears, clearly jiber's extensive knowledge of alpacas was dead handy as was my ability to spout bullshit on just about any subject under the sun.  So, if you have any tips on how not to get eaten by a bear (or indeed a mountain lion) psyclist will, I'm sure, be very grateful to hear them.

This is too easy sometimes... caravans, bears &... well... knowing me, knowing you...  :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/t0QOl7nqfQc
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3485 on: 04 April, 2019, 06:35:13 pm »
Cruel  ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3486 on: 04 April, 2019, 07:06:07 pm »
It's almost like it was filmed last night in the pub!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3487 on: 04 April, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »

Joss does Candid Camera!  Shame the bugger couldn’t film the gits who fly tipped in the bike shed!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3488 on: 04 April, 2019, 07:40:42 pm »

Joss does Candid Camera!  Shame the bugger couldn’t film the gits who fly tipped in the bike shed!

Stock for Bonfire night?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3489 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:17:48 pm »
News:

1] ACME Dynamite Singletons are GO! Route approved by the organiser and brevets have arrived in the post today. :thumbsup:

2] Deano_44 successfully rode Gavin and Stacey 400km permanent the weekend before last [report over on the thread in Audax], and Ian Bird [notp, I think] did a Flatliner 600k, starting and finishing in Cambridge - CHAPEAUX!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3490 on: 09 April, 2019, 11:15:59 pm »
Wow - that's great stuff - well done Dean - it's tougher than expected that ride!

In other news there appears to be a few of us interested in watching Paris-Roubaix in Colchester on Sunday - anyone else interested in riding there please PM me or collar me in the boozer tomorrow night...

12:30 ColVelo event
Queen St Brewhouse
7 - 9 Queen Street, CO1 2PG Colchester, Essex

The Classics are back!
Join us at the Queen St. Brewhouse for Paris -Roubaix LIVE on the big screen.

Andy has very kindly invited us back again to the brewhouse to watch the Hell of the North while supping on Belgian recovery tonics.

This year's charity sweepstakes will be in aid of Colchester Food Bank and St. Helena Hospice, we'll also be taking donations for the food bank on the day too. The prize is a hipster gravelo starter kit, see the event comments for a photo!

Hopefully see you on Sunday
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3491 on: 10 April, 2019, 07:34:26 am »
I'll fit in a 200km on Sunday and catch up on Paris-Roubaix later. Soupy and I went to the Brewhouse last year - good atmosphere and Belgian beer  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3492 on: 11 April, 2019, 01:56:37 pm »
News:

1] ACME Dynamite Singletons are GO! Route approved by the organiser and brevets have arrived in the post today. :thumbsup:

2] Deano_44 successfully rode Gavin and Stacey 400km permanent the weekend before last [report over on the thread in Audax], and Ian Bird [notp, I think] did a Flatliner 600k, starting and finishing in Cambridge - CHAPEAUX!

How about that? I made the news! Thanks.

Also brevet cards for the Arrow team I’m in have arrived (I have been informed.)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3493 on: 11 April, 2019, 07:20:25 pm »
News:

How about that? I made the news! Thanks.

Also brevet cards for the Arrow team I’m in have arrived (I have been informed.)

It's a seriously big achievement, especially so early in the season, when most of us [or is it just me  ;D] are worried silly about a flat 400km Arrow [with a tailwind ... ] and worthy of broadcasting. I'll return your validated brevet on Saturday and save your SAE ok?

Maybe we'll see your semi-ACME team on the road, as well as in York.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #3494 on: 12 April, 2019, 10:19:44 am »

[with a tailwind ... ]

Is that a promise?  ;D

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #3495 on: 12 April, 2019, 03:06:44 pm »
Hi Tomsk,

Forgot to reply yesterday but I am happy to pick up the brevet tomorrow. No rush  :)

Best wishes
Dean
ACME - Suffolk Branch

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3496 on: 15 April, 2019, 06:44:31 pm »
Have we got a current price list and stock of ACME gear - there's a chap on twitter who would like to buy a jersey - Huggy, are you the best one for me to point him in the direction of? (I have his email etc)
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3497 on: 15 April, 2019, 08:19:00 pm »
Have we got a current price list and stock of ACME gear - there's a chap on twitter who would like to buy a jersey - Huggy, are you the best one for me to point him in the direction of? (I have his email etc)
Short sleeve jerseys are £45 (plus P&P if necessary). Remember to go at least one size up on usual.
The stock is split between Tomsk and me right now but between us we should be able to source one from stock.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3498 on: 15 April, 2019, 10:48:23 pm »
there's a chap on twitter who would like to buy a jersey

I got speaking to an ACB rider on the Dorset Coast who wanted to get an ACME jersey, wonder if it’s the same person.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3499 on: 15 April, 2019, 11:59:38 pm »
It is :) he reckons a large size not sure if he was thinking ls or ss though?
Regards,

Joergen