Author Topic: Conflict between lorries and cyclists  (Read 1590 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Conflict between lorries and cyclists
« on: 19 May, 2009, 03:49:01 pm »
This morning on my way to work I stopped because an articulated lorry had got stuck. It had turned into a road which was too small for it and was in the process of reversing out.

As it was just beginning to rain, I got off and sheltered under a tree to put some waterproofs on.

The trailer was blocking about 75% of the road that it was reversing into, hazard lights and reversing lights were on and it was moving back slowly. Motor vehicles in both directions were stopped.

Over the next minute or so 4 cyclists came along and all of them cut round the back of the (moving) trailer. Of the four of them, three were commuters on decent bikes (one with tri-bars), all wearing helmets and hi-viz. One was a sandwich delivery guy with a trailer.

The risk to them maybe wasn't huge, but it was present and they couldn't judge whether the lorry was going to increase it's reversing speed. 
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Conflict between lorries and cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »
Road user thinks other road users are numpties shock.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:01:47 pm »
Well, we get upset when cyclists are killed in collision with lorries, and it may be that 90% of such accidents are the fault of the lorry, but I really doubt it.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »
I think worse than the albiet slight uncontrolled risk that they were putting themselves in, it makes life harder for the lorry driver. Just inconsiderate to add further worries to somebody who already has a lot of responsibility and things to concetrate on.

I imagine being a lorry driver in landon is very tough work, and the majority do an excellent job of taking on the responsibility they have.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:06:07 pm »
Every day I am amazed at some of the chances that some of my fellow cyclists take.  Of course, most of the time they are fine.  And maybe I am just chicken.  But I'm an alive chicken.

I also see some horrendous driving from motorists of all sorts, from scootering teenagers all the way up to artics making unexpected moves without looking.
Getting there...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:23:22 pm »
I wonder what would have been the reaction if one of the cyclists had been hit or injured by the Lorry?

I personally believe that too many people are of the opinion that my journey is more important than everyone elses so everyone should be aware of this so get out of my way.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #6 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:37:04 pm »
Every day I am amazed at some of the chances that some of my fellow cyclists take.  Of course, most of the time they are fine.  And maybe I am just chicken.  But I'm an alive chicken.

I also see some horrendous driving from motorists of all sorts, from scootering teenagers all the way up to artics making unexpected moves without looking.

:thumbsup: Totally agree - cycling home last night I saw some shocking road behaviour, from all different types of road users. I too am an alive chicken, and proud  :)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:47:55 pm »
 And maybe I am just chicken.  But I'm an alive chicken.

I too am an alive chicken, and proud  :)

I prefer to use the term "Pragmatic" when desribing my commuting style.  :smug:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:50:23 pm »
Yes.  I found myself being less than pragmatic last night trying to get through the mess of metal that was jammed into Clapham after the Commonside South was closed following an incident.  I was miffed, but decided to do the sensible thing, even if loads of cyclists were streaming past.
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:58:58 pm »
You OK, Clarion?  I've not seen anything on the Rant thread from you in errr... hours!
I thought you may be off sick or something.  ;)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:00:14 pm »
The roads were relatively clear this morning, so fewer numpties intruding their stupid motorised selves into my little world.
Getting there...