Author Topic: Just avoided a nasty accident tonight  (Read 1243 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Just avoided a nasty accident tonight
« on: 30 June, 2008, 09:17:05 pm »
Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes a different combination of circumstances.

On the way home tonight I felt my back tyre going soft, so I pulled over and put it on the pavement for a look and it was immediately obvious where the problem was - a big chunk of  glass was too much for the armadildos.

So, turned the bike over next to the railings on a wide bit of pavement on Millbank and started fixing it (stupidly, as I'd been away at the weekend my decent pump was still in the pannier, so I was going to have to pump it up with the teeny carbon jobbie!).

Hey, where's the nasty accident coming from you ask.

Well, as I was beavering away I very fortunately glanced up to see a lady with dark glasses and a white stick heading straight for the front end of the bike. I ran over to her "excuse me" I said, "oh, sorry" she said "I was in a dream and wasn't looking where I was going".

Just imagine the paperwork if I hadn't spotted her in time.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

gordon taylor

Re: Just avoided a nasty accident tonight
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2008, 09:54:13 pm »
Nice one! I saw a blind guy today walking with a white stick. The stick had a ball on the end and he was rolling it from side to side in front of him. He found the transit van parked on the pavement quite easily.  >:(

spen666

Re: Just avoided a nasty accident tonight
« Reply #2 on: 30 June, 2008, 11:43:27 pm »
Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes a different combination of circumstances.

On the way home tonight I felt my back tyre going soft, so I pulled over and put it on the pavement for a look and it was immediately obvious where the problem was - a big chunk of  glass was too much for the armadildos.

So, turned the bike over next to the railings on a wide bit of pavement on Millbank and started fixing it (stupidly, as I'd been away at the weekend my decent pump was still in the pannier, so I was going to have to pump it up with the teeny carbon jobbie!).

Hey, where's the nasty accident coming from you ask.

Well, as I was beavering away I very fortunately glanced up to see a lady with dark glasses and a white stick heading straight for the front end of the bike. I ran over to her "excuse me" I said, "oh, sorry" she said "I was in a dream and wasn't looking where I was going".

Just imagine the paperwork if I hadn't spotted her in time.

Clearly she hadn't seen it all