Author Topic: Tandem touring - why would you?  (Read 7634 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: Tandem touring - why would you?
« Reply #25 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:51:09 pm »
No!

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #26 on: 28 March, 2010, 10:56:29 am »
Would S+S couplings help with the train thing?
Mrs C has S&S couplings on one of her solos.  They're ok to deal with in the luxury of a hotel room but they'd be a terrible faff on a railway platform.  Especially with a full set of panniers etc to deal with too. 
Your mechanicals points are more of an issue, has anybody experienced terminality on a tandem?
Not yet but we've had some near misses.  Like the time last year when the rear rim split as we set off after lunch.  I let as much air out of the tyre as I dared and then very gingerly took the short cut home.   

Aero but not dynamic

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #27 on: 28 March, 2010, 12:11:00 pm »
No!

Love the picture.  I fancy Tina the Tandem will look something like this when we take her on tour this August.  We will never be more than a few km from the beach so I think some kind of kid's inflatable beach toy lashed on the back might be in order.  I think flags are essential too.

« Reply #28 on: 28 March, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »
The other advantage of tandem riding is that since the stoker doesn't need to look ahead, it's really easy to read a map :). I have been known to pin it to Clarion's back, but more often wrap it over the stoker bars. I love being able to look around and not having to work to keep up. The communication thing is really good, being able to chat without having to doulble up is so much better.

Peli, I think you need to ride a tandem again, you just need to get past the giggles stage, it's brilliant. :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #29 on: 28 March, 2010, 05:46:06 pm »
My stoker has a similar ailment to that of Peli's, except, for her it is simply speaking that seems to disengage pedalling function!  :-\

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #30 on: 28 March, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »
 :) I love going out on the tandem with Sleepy...I get to look at the views...keep my hands warm under his butt cheeks...when I am not pinching them.

Due to knee problems, it means I can get to go further than I would on a single, he is a strong rider so makes up for what I lack on the hills and doesn't moan too much if I want to ease off.

I have complete faith in his ability to ride safely...even when we broke the speed limit in France going down a hill very very fast because he wanted to get back for food!  

As to long distance touring...would be a bit worried about fitting the kitchen sink on a bob yak....I like some comforts

:thumbsup: And of course, not forgetting for some....stoking a tandem is their only opportunity of actually getting to ride a bike in the first place!  
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #31 on: 28 March, 2010, 06:25:39 pm »

Your mechanicals points are more of an issue, has anybody experienced terminality on a tandem?

Unfortunately yes.  Mrs D and I had a rear hub failure on a Britanny tour last autumn.  About a quarter of the flange broke off, leaving 6 spokes flapping.  We were fortunately only about 8 miles out of St Malo when it happened, and were able to nurse it back.  On the basis that we were unlikely to get a new tandem wheel built quickly we abandoned and caught the next ferry home.  With a new set of wheels, we'll be back in September.

In response to the original question, Mrs D and I use the tandem as it is the only way to even out our widely differing cycling "ability".  And by being so close together throughout the ride we have two sets of eyes seeking out the wildlife and other sights which can be quickly communicated to each other.  We greatly enjoy riding together on the tandem, but I have to say I prefer riding my solo.  The tandem is much heavier to ride (though being Al is actually not much heavier than my steel solo - read into that what you will  ;))

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #32 on: 28 March, 2010, 08:36:48 pm »
So, why tour on a tandem?

Because we're braver on a tandem.

We push ourselves/each other to do new things (from touring to long distance aduaxing) on tandem which we'd never dream of doing on solos.

That's not to say this reason would apply to others, but it's what we've found to be true for us.

shortclaud

« Reply #33 on: 28 March, 2010, 10:18:12 pm »
Yes to nearly all the points in favour mentioned to date, but to my mind another plus is that it makes most onlookers smile. It just doesn't happen with solos. And smiles are good. :) :)

« Reply #34 on: 28 March, 2010, 10:19:31 pm »
Yes to nearly all the points in favour mentioned to date, but to my mind another plus is that it makes most onlookers smile. It just doesn't happen with solos. And smiles are good. :) :)
:thumbsup:

And sing; and jump up and down with excitement :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.