Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 178173 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #925 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:09:19 pm »
Amanda reached 100,000 miles in 423 days, iirc. I assume that the UMCA has ratified that.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #926 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »
Amanda reached 100,000 miles in 423 days, iirc. I assume that the UMCA has ratified that.

Yep

https://www.ultracycling.com/record/amanda-coker-sets-100000-mile-record/
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #927 on: 27 February, 2018, 04:55:46 pm »
This has been posted on the Book of Faces:

On Saturday, his last day of his year record attempt, Steve will be riding round Milton Keynes Bowl from 3pm and is inviting you all to join him for as many laps as you wish. Granted, the weather forecast is not looking great, so watch this space in case snow hinders play. Either way, come down to support!

I presume that means laps until midnight.

« Reply #928 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:05:19 pm »
What's the betting Steve nips out for a cheeky ride on the Sunday?

:demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #929 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:35:26 pm »
This has been posted on the Book of Faces:

On Saturday, his last day of his year record attempt, Steve will be riding round Milton Keynes Bowl from 3pm and is inviting you all to join him for as many laps as you wish. Granted, the weather forecast is not looking great, so watch this space in case snow hinders play. Either way, come down to support!

I presume that means laps until midnight.

Yay!

I think Steve needs to do what Steve wants. This is what this sounds like.

He stayed with us about 40 days into the start of this epic adventure and I don't for one minute regret supporting him or sending used fivers. It's a wonderful endeavour that has, at times, been provided with unexpected challenges but often has had people not on the road (i.e. not Steve) suggesting what he should/shouldn't do.

He should do what he wants and that's that.

Go Steve!!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #930 on: 27 February, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »
Well said jaded! !
I have supported him as a friend with some money and on the road once.
Steve has done himself proud and when he is done and ready he can cycle to Portsmouth for a beer or five on me :thumbsup: i am sure the rest of the audax club Portsmouth crew will all welcome him like the hero he is too.

Maybe those who have been only to happy to put steve down would like to step up and have a go!!!  Just saying.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #931 on: 27 February, 2018, 09:55:39 pm »
Over the three years I have not felt any lack of support for Steve. There has been occasions where myself and others wondered about the wisdom and methods employed in the venture. But never a lack of support.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #932 on: 27 February, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
What he's done must be the hardest effort. I know people say the hour record is hard, but surely it must be easier (at least mentally).
IMHO the hour record is the one to go for - it would even be possible (maybe not financially though) to have several attempts during a year. I'm surprised more top-class cyclists don't go for it. :o

Read the book by Michael Hutchinson... it's a great insight into the hour record.

Why more people don't go for it?

1) It is a serious financial committment

2) There are probably only a handful of people in the world who have a realistic chance on a good day to challenge Wiggins time

3) The record stands at such a level that one rider needs to commit a significant portion of his racing season to do just that.

4) I hope you are not suggesting TG should go for the hour record...  realistically you need north of 450 Watt average for an hour to even begin to think about it... 250 won't cut it, I'm afraid  ::-)

I've beaten Wiggin's Hr record just rocked up, did a flying lap average of 39.5 mph on a 400m outdoor velodrome, then 1 hr race most of the time way up and off the blue line by cheating using technology - only way really  ;D and I still didn't win!

112 laps   1:01:07.26hr   54.8Km/h   34.0mph

Back to Steve, well, absolutely amazing grit and determination, and inspirational, I can only (slightly) relate to him when i cycled from Salisbury, to Lands End, to John O'Groats and back to Salisbury, 2000 miles in 17 days, then chucked my bike in the shed for a month because I was so sick of riding the bloody thing!

« Reply #933 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:52:26 am »
Well said jaded! !
I have supported him as a friend with some money and on the road once.
Steve has done himself proud and when he is done and ready he can cycle to Portsmouth for a beer or five on me :thumbsup: i am sure the rest of the audax club Portsmouth crew will all welcome him like the hero he is too.

Maybe those who have been only to happy to put steve down would like to step up and have a go!!!  Just saying.

If you could find one, there might be some justification for your remark.  People have expressed concern for Steve's health and/or suggested he might stop.  I haven't seen anyone put him down or know of anyone who doesn't think his achievement is remarkable.  Steve will be justifiably tired.  Why don't you ride up to Milton Keynes and buy him his five beers?!  Be careful of the weather, though.

« Reply #934 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:11:51 pm »
Not sure that is much of a challenge to Postie, I'm sure he would only to willing to do so

« Reply #935 on: 28 February, 2018, 03:04:06 pm »
I expect you're right!  But "challenge"?   Here we go again! :)

« Reply #936 on: 28 February, 2018, 06:58:01 pm »
Well, given the weather, I think it is something of a relief that Steve didn't have around, say,  1000 miles to go with 4 days left: That really would have been grim.

« Reply #937 on: 28 February, 2018, 07:28:47 pm »
I was thinking the same.

(Though if he still wants the 73,000 mile target he has 532 miles to do in 3 days. I don't think anyone would blame him if he gave it a miss)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #938 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:35:19 am »
65 miles up for yesterday and i would imagine not many more to add to that today.
shame it ends like this, but better safe and in one piece.

yesterdays ride title:
"Snow started coming down near Northampton so headed for home to avoid a long walk home. The cold really does bring out any underlying injuries."

« Reply #939 on: 01 March, 2018, 11:42:41 am »
No movement today, not surprisingly. It isn’t snowing much (I’m about 15 miles from MK) but the wind is making it feel bitter out there, and the roads are VERY slippery as it’s too cold for salting to work.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #940 on: 01 March, 2018, 06:33:03 pm »
No movement today, not surprisingly. It isn’t snowing much (I’m about 15 miles from MK) but the wind is making it feel bitter out there, and the roads are VERY slippery as it’s too cold for salting to work.

I'd be surprised if he manages to get out between today and saturday... the snow is now really settling and grit is ineffective.

Probably not the end he would have liked... hopefully he has plenty of milk, cocoa and a good book to enjoy some well deserved rest

« Reply #941 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:23:39 am »
Not a good day for MK: this was stranded in Rochdale today.

Stay safe, Steve.

« Reply #942 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:08:23 am »
The bigger roads in Inner London are gritted and ice free, and have fewer cars than normal. Perhaps he can come do laps of the inner ring road?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #943 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:37:45 am »
The bigger roads in Inner London are gritted and ice free, and have fewer cars than normal. Perhaps he can come do laps of the inner ring road?

You mean the north/south circular? ::-)

I can't think of a better way to end the year... run over by a white van on the A 406

« Reply #944 on: 02 March, 2018, 12:42:23 pm »
inner ring road goes around the congestion charge zone-ish

Found it

whosatthewheel

« Reply #945 on: 02 March, 2018, 01:57:13 pm »
inner ring road goes around the congestion charge zone-ish

Found it

Oh that one... so I revise my post... just replace A 406 with Vauxhall roundabout... that is one deadly junction... literally

« Reply #946 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:46:26 pm »
Vauxhall has fully segregated cycle tracks across it now - although no idea of their grit/ice status.

The Inner Ring Road wasn't a very serious suggestion - I'm just amused I did more km yesterday than Steve!

« Reply #947 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:47:56 pm »
It's kind of lucky that he isn't still within touching distance of the record(s).

Imagine getting ~360 days into the record, on track to just beat it, requiring ~230miles each day over these last few days and being stymied by snow or forced to travel to ride on unfamiliar busy city roads that have unknown grit/ice status.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #948 on: 02 March, 2018, 06:47:00 pm »
If MK has had the same weather as us, it’ll be 2-3 inches deep in snow right now, which may stymie tomorrow’s finale. It may start to thaw around midnight tonight, but I suspect it will be slow.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #949 on: 02 March, 2018, 06:53:38 pm »
Steve Tweeted he was staying at home.