Author Topic: King cycle and PDQ  (Read 7455 times)

Re: King cycle and PDQ
« Reply #25 on: 01 September, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »
There was an article in the BHPC magazine a few years ago describing the process of modifying a Kingcycle for currently-available wheel sizes.  I think the article was by Nick or gNick.
Thanks. I'll look for a copy.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2015, 07:51:33 pm »
I've just found it - Issue 91 from 2008.  By Nick Marshall.  The front cover has a picture of Geoff Bird riding in the World Championship at Suffolk.

« Reply #27 on: 01 September, 2015, 08:59:59 pm »
I exercise, eat little salt and lead a celibate life

Doesn't actually make you live any longer you know ...

... but I bet it feels like it.

I don't give a flying f**k as long as I live longer. I live, I enjoy

Oh, it does, it does  :)

Dunbar loved shooting skeet because he hated every minute of it and the time passed so slowly. He had figured out that a single hour on the skeet-shooting range with people like Havermeyer and Appleby could be worth as much as eleven-times-seventeen years.

Joseph Heller - Catch 22
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #28 on: 02 September, 2015, 09:49:08 am »
I've just found it - Issue 91 from 2008.  By Nick Marshall.  The front cover has a picture of Geoff Bird riding in the World Championship at Suffolk.

Thanks, I'll get myself a copy.
I've also made a start at contacting a Robert Bland who has modified his Kingcycle recently and, rumoured, with disc brakes. My Alfine 11 hubs have all got discs on.
Cheers

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 02 September, 2015, 01:50:39 pm »
I recall a chap converting his KC to Hope hydraulic discs at the tail end of the 20th century though he did say that it was a rather spendy business.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #30 on: 02 September, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »
Maybe but Hope are so bloody gorgeous, I just got Barbara's red Sprint (NT main frame) done with a Hope red rear hub and white Halo rim, black spokes red nipples (also had white rims put on the front same spokes/nipples) it looks drop dead gorgeous
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #31 on: 02 September, 2015, 11:39:31 pm »
Eyup Nobby.
I think the PDQ, despite a lot of snobby types putting it down, is a good frame. I've had 2 of them but the Sachs 3X7 made it good for most terrain. I might feel a bit nervy of being out on the Kingcycle, just for the tyre sizes and so on.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 02 September, 2015, 11:53:21 pm »
Maybe but Hope are so bloody gorgeous, I just got Barbara's red Sprint (NT main frame) done with a Hope red rear hub and white Halo rim, black spokes red nipples (also had white rims put on the front same spokes/nipples) it looks drop dead gorgeous

TPIUWP

« Reply #33 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:05:47 am »
Eyup Nobby.
I think the PDQ, despite a lot of snobby types putting it down, is a good frame. I've had 2 of them but the Sachs 3X7 made it good for most terrain. I might feel a bit nervy of being out on the Kingcycle, just for the tyre sizes and so on.

After I am mobile on the PDQ I will change the wheel sizes on the Kingcycle to 406/559 but, as I think I've said, this just a possible route back to a Bacchetta Giro 20. I really liked that bike until Chris Davies turned my head. Well, it was his trike rather than him. I see him and I turn my head to look away   :P
Having started stripping the PDQ I have found a couple of problems with rusted and stripped threads. Nothing major, as yet, (except maybe the rust in the bottom bracket axle crank bolt thread for which I haven't a tap - but any excuse to buy tools) but it has meant a major turning over of my garage space to find my workbench and vice.
I was out there in my pyjamas last night and came in sticking of Plus Gas. I'm rather enjoying myself  ;D

« Reply #34 on: 03 September, 2015, 08:08:29 am »

TPIUWP

OK, I confess that I haven't a clue what TPIUWP means but being as I learnt the 'word' molish' from you a few years back, I am asking  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 03 September, 2015, 01:12:21 pm »
TPIUWP

OK, I confess that I haven't a clue what TPIUWP means but being as I learnt the 'word' molish' from you a few years back, I am asking  :)

This Post Is Useless Without Pictures

« Reply #36 on: 03 September, 2015, 01:59:29 pm »
TPIUWP

This Post Is Useless Without Pictures

Ah, and I'd bet QUINT knew that  :)

« Reply #37 on: 03 September, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »
I tried I really tried but am obviously to dense to work out how to put piccy things on here (hangs head in shame)  :facepalm:

« Reply #38 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:37:20 pm »
ITKJMTAU  - or, for those not in the know: I Think Kim Just Makes These Acronyms Up! :-D
And I'm not even going to get drawn into what "molish" means, I'll just assume it's the opposite of de-molish.

« Reply #39 on: 03 September, 2015, 09:40:45 pm »
ITKJMTAU  - or, for those not in the know: I Think Kim Just Makes These Acronyms Up! :-D

I'm a little suspicious myself

And I'm not even going to get drawn into what "molish" means, I'll just assume it's the opposite of de-molish.

It's easy really, isn't it?  :)

« Reply #40 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:10:13 pm »

I'm a little suspicious myself

I think that one^^^ may have been an extension from TThreadIUWOP, which *is* in use elsewhere.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 03 September, 2015, 10:15:56 pm »

Oh, come on.  People have been using "TTIUWP" since around the time that JPEG was invented (before that was a bit before my time, but I believe the equivalent was an appeal for GIFs).  I can't help it if September never ended the real world caught up and lots of people joined the internet who don't speak the lingo.

Sadly the uk.rec.sheds FAQ is failing with DNS errors.  Suffice to say that sheddi like to molish and mantle things from tqt where most people would ohl an arj one.

« Reply #42 on: 05 September, 2015, 01:36:17 pm »
 :facepalm:

« Reply #43 on: 05 September, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »
this is the link to pics of Barbara's trike  http://banburycycles.blogspot.co.uk/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #44 on: 05 September, 2015, 05:14:03 pm »
this is the link to pics of Barbara's trike  http://banburycycles.blogspot.co.uk/

That's a lovely set of wheels.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #45 on: 05 September, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »
We walked past Banbury Cycles and Barbara saw the rear (Halo) rim in the window, she loved it, how could I not get her it, front ones from ICE all built by Banbury Cycles  :)

Nobby, my sincere apologies I didn't mean to hi jack your thread, also if you need a set of 406 rims and can cancel the ones you have ordered I have a black pair you can have ex Barbara's trike

« Reply #46 on: 05 September, 2015, 07:30:45 pm »
We walked past Banbury Cycles and Barbara saw the rear (Halo) rim in the window, she loved it, how could I not get her it, front ones from ICE all built by Banbury Cycles  :)

Nobby, my sincere apologies I didn't mean to hi jack your thread, also if you need a set of 406 rims and can cancel the ones you have ordered I have a black pair you can have ex Barbara's trike

They are pretty wheels.
My rims turned up this morning and my front hub :) Thanks for the offer; are they the one that you can use rim brakes with? I see ICE use a different section rim for disc brake fitted trikes.
One of the things I like about this forum is the twists and turns the conversations take. Mind you, it happens in face to face as well when cycleman is involved!  ;D

« Reply #47 on: 09 September, 2015, 06:50:57 pm »

Oh, come on.  People have been using "TTIUWP" since around the time that JPEG was invented (before that was a bit before my time, but I believe the equivalent was an appeal for GIFs).  I can't help it if September never ended the real world caught up and lots of people joined the internet who don't speak the lingo.

Sadly the uk.rec.sheds FAQ is failing with DNS errors.  Suffice to say that sheddi like to molish and mantle things from tqt where most people would ohl an arj one.

Ah! But I've led such a sheltered life, Kim. And I'm old enough to remember when toilet attendants used to marvel at the idea of a paperless office!  8)