Author Topic: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub  (Read 134654 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub
« Reply #150 on: 23 March, 2009, 08:27:30 pm »
It being Dez's birthday, we are having a pub lunch at the East Hanningfield Windmill, which has recently changed hands and I understand is doing a very good 2-course lunch for about £8. We will go to this by car as we will have to get there by 2, I'm working till 1 and we'll have Aunty Phyllis with us.

I may put my bike on the back of the car and spend a few hours pootling around mid-Essex between about 4 p.m. and the off. The weather forecast will have a lot to do with that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #151 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:01:09 pm »
There is a possibility, if I can get back from Japan in time, that V and I could make this if we can get accommodation at the pub. Timings are fairly crucial due work fo both of us, but what time is the meet at Battlesbridge, and, OD, what time are you leaving Witham? We could possibly train it to you from Bures....

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #152 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:34:26 pm »
In the interests of research, I've just read the whole of this thread and I can find no reference to either a meeting time or a meeting place.

Are we intending to try a few pubs on our way to the Ferry Boat, or all meet at the Ferry Boat?

We could do this: Bicycle Path - epnr0309 at Bikely.com meeting at the start at 7.30. :demon:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #153 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:46:43 pm »

Tim, not sure when I'm leaving Witham. That nice Mr Oakden and I are riding down together and he is working out when he can leave. Meeting up with the rest of the gang at 7.30 to 8pm seems reasonable.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #154 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »
Do we have a seconder for my proposal of:-

Hurdlemakers (7.30)
Fox & Hounds (8.00)
The Bell (8.30)
Round Bush (9.00)
Ferry Boat (9.30)?

8.3 miles, 5 pubs, train back?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #155 on: 23 March, 2009, 09:59:28 pm »

Hurdlemakers (7.30)
Fox & Hounds (8.00)
The Bell (8.30)
Round Bush (9.00)
Ferry Boat (9.30)?

Good plan. I will attempt to ride home.  ;D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #156 on: 23 March, 2009, 10:35:58 pm »

Hurdlemakers (7.30)
Fox & Hounds (8.00)
The Bell (8.30)
Round Bush (9.00)
Ferry Boat (9.30)?

Looks good to me - I've been meaning to try the Hurdlemakers for a while.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #157 on: 23 March, 2009, 11:16:48 pm »
The torsional force on my arm is really quiet something  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #158 on: 24 March, 2009, 07:06:22 am »
The torsional force on my arm is really quiet something  :P

No pain, no gain!

« Reply #159 on: 24 March, 2009, 08:18:30 am »
I hope to join in somewhere along the route. (family health issues.)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #160 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:30:43 am »

Hurdlemakers (7.30)
Fox & Hounds (8.00)
The Bell (8.30)
Round Bush (9.00)
Ferry Boat (9.30)?

Hi OD,

I reserve judgement on riding back home, but how about this (out and back route) for the route out from Witham to/from the Hurdlemakers?

I've mostly based it on a training loop I do fairly often, so I know most of the route pretty well (outbound as far as the A414, and the return from Woodham Walter). DISCLAIMER: Whilst this may sound like an offer to navigate, it in no way constitutes any acceptance of liability for getting lost, nor does it imply any warranty of surface quality, not-being-underwater-ness, quietness traffic-wise or even existence of the roads involved.  Contents may have settled in transit.  Route was constructed in an area where nuts are handled.(Was the last bit TMI?)

It's 10 miles out and just under 8 miles back.

I've routed it via

• the 750 yards (?) of sustrans path from Constance Close, since that'll be near to your mind today ;)
  • North Hill (characterthirst building)
  • a short stretch of the A414, which should be OK that time of night

I've avoided North Hill on the way back since I don't trust myself to descend it with beers on board.  I've avoided the A414 stretch on the way back for similar reasons.  I hope that "Tom Tit Lane" on the return leg isn't rhyming slang.  The route also takes us past the international headquarters of "Worms Direct", just in case.

There are a few options on the outbound route through hatfield Pev./Nounsley, depending if you feel like tackling a ford or not (route as posted avoids it).

Cheers,
Mark

« Reply #161 on: 24 March, 2009, 11:57:08 am »
Fortunately Tom Tit Lane isn't rhyming slang.  ;) Narrow and bendy but quiet.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #162 on: 24 March, 2009, 03:23:54 pm »
... Narrow and bendy but quiet.

from previous accounts I've read on this esteemed forum, I assumed that might be describing OD after 6 pubs, until I read as far as the "quiet" part.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #163 on: 24 March, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »

Tim, not sure when I'm leaving Witham. That nice Mr Oakden and I are riding down together and he is working out when he can leave. Meeting up with the rest of the gang at 7.30 to 8pm seems reasonable.

Just working out a provisional plan - we could get the train from Bures to Witham, arriving around 1900, ride with you down to the Hurdlemakers and on to the Ferry Boat. Then stay overnight and ride home in the morning - there are no trains on Saturday.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #164 on: 25 March, 2009, 11:26:29 am »

Hurdlemakers (7.30)
Fox & Hounds (8.00)
The Bell (8.30)
Round Bush (9.00)
Ferry Boat (9.30)?

Hi OD,

I reserve judgement on riding back home, but how about this (out and back route) for the route out from Witham to/from the Hurdlemakers?

I've mostly based it on a training loop I do fairly often, so I know most of the route pretty well (outbound as far as the A414, and the return from Woodham Walter). DISCLAIMER: Whilst this may sound like an offer to navigate, it in no way constitutes any acceptance of liability for getting lost, nor does it imply any warranty of surface quality, not-being-underwater-ness, quietness traffic-wise or even existence of the roads involved.  Contents may have settled in transit.  Route was constructed in an area where nuts are handled.(Was the last bit TMI?)

I've routed it via

• the 750 yards (?) of sustrans path from Constance Close, since that'll be near to your mind today ;)

I've avoided North Hill on the way back since I don't trust myself to descend it with beers on board.  I've avoided the A414 stretch on the way back for similar reasons.  I hope that "Tom Tit Lane" on the return leg isn't rhyming slang.  The route also takes us past the international headquarters of "Worms Direct", just in case.

There are a few options on the outbound route through hatfield Pev./Nounsley, depending if you feel like tackling a ford or not (route as posted avoids it).

Cheers,
Mark

Greetings chap.  That all looks fine with me.  I will bring along Gertie the Garmin.  I will load the Hurdlemakers and home so it can auto route to get us to the first pub and then home afterwards should we need help cos we're a bit "confused".

[Edit] just spotted the post from TimC.  the plan now seems: they come round to mine at about 7pm , we swing by yours, we then follow you  ;D  PM me your address. The likelihood is that we will be at the Hurdlemakers a bit after 7:30.  I can think of worse places to be marooned so I assume the rest of the gang will wait for us.

I shall be riding Son of Oscar, me new bike what I built.  This will be his maiden voyage.  Please can you cycle behind me with a dust pan and brush to sweep up bits as they fall off?  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #165 on: 25 March, 2009, 11:29:10 am »

Just working out a provisional plan - we could get the train from Bures to Witham, arriving around 1900, ride with you down to the Hurdlemakers and on to the Ferry Boat. Then stay overnight and ride home in the morning - there are no trains on Saturday.

OK, sounds like a plan.  Do you want to come round to our house?  I will PM my address if you do.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #166 on: 25 March, 2009, 11:34:14 am »
... Narrow and bendy but quiet.

from previous accounts I've read on this esteemed forum, I assumed that might be describing OD after 6 pubs, until I read as far as the "quiet" part.

Git  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #167 on: 25 March, 2009, 11:34:26 am »

OK, sounds like a plan.  Do you want to come round to our house?  I will PM my address if you do.

Sounds good to me too - I'm happy to rendezvous either at Witham station, at OD's place or at mine.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #168 on: 25 March, 2009, 12:09:19 pm »

Hurdlemakers (7.30)
Fox & Hounds (8.00)
The Bell (8.30)
Round Bush (9.00)
Ferry Boat (9.30)?

Hi OD,

I've routed it via

Cheers,
Mark

Greetings chap.  That all looks fine with me.  I will bring along Gertie the Garmin.  I will load the Hurdlemakers and home so it can auto route to get us to the first pub and then home afterwards should we need help cos we're a bit "confused".

[Edit] just spotted the post from TimC.  the plan now seems: they come round to mine at about 7pm , we swing by yours, we then follow you  ;D  PM me your address. The likelihood is that we will be at the Hurdlemakers a bit after 7:30.  I can think of worse places to be marooned so I assume the rest of the gang will wait for us.

I shall be riding Son of Oscar, me new bike what I built.  This will be his maiden voyage.  Please can you cycle behind me with a dust pan and brush to sweep up bits as they fall off?  ;D

Brilliant - sounds good - will PM my address to your good self and TimC.  It's possible that a friend from work will join us too.

Did you fit a kickstand to "Son of Oscar" yet?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #169 on: 26 March, 2009, 10:32:49 am »
I am sorry to say, but my participation in this ride is now in considerable doubt - some stuff has come up.  Once I know for sure I will let you know.  Bugger.

« Reply #170 on: 26 March, 2009, 11:38:11 am »
I'm going to pass this one up too. I don't think it's a good idea for me to go on a pub crawl - given my propensity to drink to excess - when I've been working towards putting in a respectable performance on a club time trail this weekend (my first, and also a big club event).

Sorry guys - maybe next time!

[edit] ^^^I can hardly believe I wrote that!^^^ Maybe I'm growing up at last? ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #171 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:33:39 pm »
Unless the weather forecast turns a lot worse than it currently shows(*), then I'll still be riding over from Witham via the route upthread.

Cheers,
Mark

(*)  According to the metoffice site it'll be
1800  7°C WSW 16 mph
Night  4°C WSW 15 mph
with light rain showers

« Reply #172 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:37:15 pm »
(*)  According to the metoffice site it'll be
1800  7°C WSW 16 mph
Night  4°C WSW 15 mph
with light rain showers
Metcheck is giving better weather, use that.
18:00   7 °c   0 °c   0   0.0 mm   90 %   [Wind from SW (219°)]    13 mph   16 mph   [Partly Cloudy]   :thumbsup:

« Reply #173 on: 26 March, 2009, 01:56:06 pm »
I'm going to pass this one up too. I don't think it's a good idea for me to go on a pub crawl - given my propensity to drink to excess - when I've been working towards putting in a respectable performance on a club time trail this weekend (my first, and also a big club event).

Sorry guys - maybe next time!

[edit] ^^^I can hardly believe I wrote that!^^^ Maybe I'm growing up at last? ;)
I'll quote it before he can change his mind.
All the pubs listed do soft drinks  :o. (sorry for using a swear word  :-[)

« Reply #174 on: 26 March, 2009, 02:03:24 pm »
It has never been known for me to be in the vicinity of a pub and not be tempted to have a beer. I'd like to say that I could just stick to soft drinks, but in all likelihood, it ain't going to happen. And then one beer would lead to another, etc. etc. - you know the story...