Author Topic: e bike audax  (Read 1831 times)

e bike audax
« on: 11 September, 2019, 09:14:36 pm »
My girl has just bought an ebike. She enjoys BPs on her normal bike, but wonders about joining me on longer/hillier rides using her ebike. She would not want the ride to be validated, but just do it for the fun. Would she be able to join organised rides? and what people feel about people using an ebike for organised rides?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: e bike audax
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:27:03 pm »
My girl has just bought an ebike. She enjoys BPs on her normal bike, but wonders about joining me on longer/hillier rides using her ebike. She would not want the ride to be validated, but just do it for the fun. Would she be able to join organised rides? and what people feel about people using an ebike for organised rides?

My understanding is that it is at the discretion of the organiser.

It does make for an interesting case of what happens if someone sits on her wheel the whole way round...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:52:31 pm »
It does make for an interesting case of what happens if someone sits on her wheel the whole way round...

I think, as previously discussed, it comes down to whether the someone has arranged to do that, or whether it just happens fortuitously on the road.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:21:21 am »

I think, as previously discussed, it comes down to whether the someone has arranged to do that, or whether it just happens fortuitously on the road.
so anyone else could sit on her wheel, but not RedT3?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2019, 08:12:19 am »
It's only BP classed events she would be allowed to join on an ebike. So any 50,100 150,160km etc events would be fine but not 200km and above. Ebikes aren't allowed on BR and BRM classed events.

« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2019, 02:24:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice, shame she wont be able to join me on longer rides. She always follows my wheel, and don't think that will change!

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2019, 04:39:19 pm »
I encourage anyone to ride and if that means people can do 200 on a e-bike then great ... and evokes still require a lot of energy to be used so have to be fit ...

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2019, 06:30:18 pm »
It's only BP classed events she would be allowed to join on an ebike. So any 50,100 150,160km etc events would be fine but not 200km and above. Ebikes aren't allowed on BR and BRM classed events.

Quite frankly, 200k is probably more than you want to try on an ebike without recharging. I have managed over 160 hilly km on a 520wh battery, and I had to work for it (but still a lot easier that riding the same distance unassisted) The one day I rode well over 300 km I had a 720 wh battery, took two recharging stops of an hour each, and carried two chargers powerful enough to fill it to 80% in that time. That's not a recipe for long battery life.

In less extreme circumstances and a moderately hilly route, she might find an ebike will get her 30% farther for the same effort.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2019, 01:22:58 am »
Depends on the e-bike.  At 83 I did the Fairies Flat 100k in June but atrial fibrillation and hills are not a good mixture.

Just acquired an Orbea Gain and so far done 2 rides. Both 53 miles, using the motor for 6 miles on one and 3 on the other just to get up the steeper hills. Without the motor my comfortable riding speed is around 11mph, not much less than on the audax bike these days.

An average 200k - no AAA points - would be no problem for the bike . . . . . .