Author Topic: Short tour of the EM: Rutland Water  (Read 1247 times)

Short tour of the EM: Rutland Water
« on: 15 April, 2009, 11:56:41 pm »
Following a last minute booking in a nice etablissement on the shores of Rutland Water by E, we decided I could ride there and back. One consideration though: I needed to take my folder. Not a major problem.

The first part of the ride followed routes I know rather well, used by by club on runs to and around Melton. It was a bit overcast and raining, but the route down was overall very pleasant. I can only remember one slight navigation error in Hose; the rest was bliss. The section between Waltham and Garthrope was my highlight and from there on we started to climb a bit, which, on a folder, is more problematic than even on my fixed gear bikes! Having promised to be at the restaurant for 12:30 I only just made it though, and got a funny look as I walked through the restaurent to pick up the keys before going for a wash and change of clothes and join the girls over a nice lunch.

Parking the bike at the hotel was amusing too. Its cost may not have covered the road tax for some of the more exotic vehicles parked there!

The views over the reservoir were stunning

After a most pleasant and sunny (Monday/Tuesday) stay enjoyed by the family, it was, sadly, time to get back. I chose a different route. If the "way down" was very pleasant, the way back home was even nicer. Ah, those flowing lanes between Langham and Twyford (the section before Burrough on the Hill in particular; see picture below) all the way to Seagrave and Walton (see picture) in fact, those wonderfully fast downhills... I covered the 48 Mi in 3 hours, stops included, I was having such fun.

Burrough-on-the-Hill

Walton-on-the-Wolds (I think)

All this to say that my little Dahon enabled me to have two great rides, whilst enjoying quality family time in a nice spot. Everyone won; I certainly did. Rutland Water is a place worth visiting and the hotel and lodges at Barnsdale come highly recommended too for a short, pampered stay.

P.S. I am considering the 110 Mi round trip as a summer ride on a racing bike; if anyone is interested...
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse