Author Topic: Pop quiz  (Read 174243 times)

Re: Pop quiz
« Reply #1675 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:41:23 pm »
OK, what links Chrissie Hynde and Captain Sensible?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #1676 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »
Clarion, a side issue: I also saw GW and the Ram Jam Band in Newcastle.  A great show.  I also saw Root and Jenny Jackson there, this time at The Quay Club.  They'd only done a couple of tunes when the police raided it for drugs.  I remember one young policeman trying to face Jenny Jackson into a wall and her turning round and saying, "We in bondage, man?"  It was the first time I'd gone to a gig with my girlfriend.  We've been together over forty years, now.  (The police left soon to try and get their drugs somewhere else.)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1677 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:46:39 pm »
Chrissie was in the band that became The Damned, but was asked to leave.  Did Capt Sensible take her place?
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1678 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:47:37 pm »
Clarion, a side issue: I also saw GW and the Ram Jam Band in Newcastle.  A great show.  I also saw Root and Jenny Jackson there, this time at The Quay Club.  They'd only done a couple of tunes when the police raided it for drugs.  I remember one young policeman trying to face Jenny Jackson into a wall and her turning round and saying, "We in bondage, man?"  It was the first time I'd gone to a gig with my girlfriend.  We've been together over forty years, now.  (The police left soon to try and get their drugs somewhere else.)

Wow.  Could have been the same tour.  1984?  So did the gig carry on after the Police left?
Getting there...

« Reply #1679 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »
Clarion, a side issue: I also saw GW and the Ram Jam Band in Newcastle.  A great show.  I also saw Root and Jenny Jackson there, this time at The Quay Club.  They'd only done a couple of tunes when the police raided it for drugs.  I remember one young policeman trying to face Jenny Jackson into a wall and her turning round and saying, "We in bondage, man?"  It was the first time I'd gone to a gig with my girlfriend.  We've been together over forty years, now.  (The police left soon to try and get their drugs somewhere else.)

Wow.  Could have been the same tour.  1984?  So did the gig carry on after the Police left?

I wish it was, then I'd be a lot younger!  1968, I think.  Yes, the gig went on....and so did we!

« Reply #1680 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:55:00 pm »
As in Geno's Ram Jam Band?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1681 on: 18 June, 2011, 09:59:27 pm »
Chrissie was in the band that became The Damned, but was asked to leave.  Did Capt Sensible take her place?

Not quite close enough

« Reply #1682 on: 18 June, 2011, 10:14:18 pm »

Johnny Moped
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #1683 on: 18 June, 2011, 10:31:06 pm »

Johnny Moped

Your go

« Reply #1684 on: 18 June, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »
Johnny Moped
Your go

I'm new to this - so I'll start with something simple, please feel free to pull-me-up on any technical issues.

What are the two missing links between Cher (of sonny & Cher fame) and Five Star?
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1685 on: 24 June, 2011, 03:03:28 pm »
Is it something to do with their dad?  He was a session musician, and played with all sorts of big names.  His name was IIRC Stedman Pearson Snr.
Getting there...

« Reply #1686 on: 24 June, 2011, 08:04:06 pm »
Is it something to do with their dad?  He was a session musician, and played with all sorts of big names.  His name was IIRC Stedman Pearson Snr.

I'm afraid not, but a good effort - Mr. Pearson Snr (in his time) a highly talented and sought after session man

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1687 on: 26 June, 2011, 09:53:46 pm »
Oh bother.  Only straw I could clutch at... :(
Getting there...

« Reply #1688 on: 26 June, 2011, 10:33:09 pm »
Oh bother.  Only straw I could clutch at... :(

As I'm new to this, do I have to start giving hints or clues at some time? - I seem to have killed this topic stone dead

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1689 on: 26 June, 2011, 10:47:33 pm »
It's had lulls while people have a think, so don't worry.  But clues are welcome whenever you like.
Getting there...

« Reply #1690 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:40:50 am »
Cher-ry and Tent (as in "Born in a tent in travelling show?) records?

« Reply #1691 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:57:35 am »
Cher-ry and Tent (as in "Born in a tent in travelling show?) records?

Nope. I can see the Cher bit - not sure about the Five Star portion.

A couple more geusses, and I will start giving clues.  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1692 on: 29 June, 2011, 10:47:27 am »
Cher says she was born in a waggon, though, but Five Star could have been on Tent records.
Getting there...

« Reply #1693 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:21:23 pm »
....................................................  But clues are welcome whenever you like.

OK. From the original question, there are two missing links between Cher and Five star.

This should be the only clue you need, don't go as deep as lyrics or great grandparents twice removed .

Think songs and kin.

That should blow it out of the water, but the correct links would be appriciated, it's no good claiming that they all had the same breed of pet pooch that appeared on "Wonderdog's" " Ruff Mix"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1694 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:55:20 pm »
No.  Still not getting it. :-[
Getting there...

« Reply #1695 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »
1. Identify a song that Cher covered  (along with loads of others).
2. One of those "loads of others" - has kin that did the original version of a 5-Star song.

Have a geuss, next clue will be a video.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1696 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:24:14 pm »
Can't think of any song by Five Star that was a cover version.  In fact, they wrote most of them between the band & producers AIUI.  But it's not my area of expertise.  I surrender.

By contrast, of course, Cher's immense back catalogue has masses of covers.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1697 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
ISIHAC

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1698 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »
What?  Humphrey Lyttelton? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1699 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:45:38 pm »
By contrast, of course, Cher's immense back catalogue has masses of covers.

Here's the first bit of the link

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClTuqXzWXnc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ClTuqXzWXnc&rel=1</a>