Author Topic: Pizza stone holders, what else can you do with them.  (Read 1595 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Pizza stone holders, what else can you do with them.
« on: 17 November, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »
You know those bits of metal wire which are holders for pizza stones when moving Italian cheese on toast from oven to table

Every so often we have to replace the stone because it is in too many parts to use any more, so we now have a collection of the carrier thingies. What else can they be used for?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Pizza stone holders, what else can you do with them.
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »
How do you break them?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2013, 07:38:06 am »
They just crack in the oven.

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2013, 08:13:08 am »
We've never had a stone crack, but the wire things get lost as we never use them!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2013, 08:54:23 am »
We've been through three so far.

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2013, 09:41:48 am »
That's weird, I've had mine for 2 years and it's still going strong. Do you put it in the oven when the oven is still cold? If you put it in after you've heated the oven up then that could crack it.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2013, 11:09:31 am »
It lives in the oven which only gets used for pizzas and bread making, so yes, effectively it goes into a cold oven.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2013, 02:19:41 pm »
Not being a fan of cheese on toast, I'm left wondering what advantage a pizza stone has over a traditional metal baking tray?  My first guess was that it allows for a temperature differential between base and toppings, but since SOP seems to be to pre-heat them, that doesn't seem to be it...

« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2013, 02:31:13 pm »
Lots of people bang on about the thermal mass of them but in a modern fan oven the heat is well controlled anyway unless you keep opening the door. I guess the important bit is actually that they are porous and wick the moisture from the dough making for a nice crispy base.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2013, 02:54:47 pm »
I guess the important bit is actually that they are porous and wick the moisture from the dough making for a nice crispy base.

Yep, that's what I've always thought to be the advantage. Doesn't make a difference to a shop bought pizza, but really helps to give a good crispy base when using fresh dough. I don't have round baking tray either and it's much easier than putting straight on the wire rack.

No idea why yours are cracking then Clare, I don't suppose its abnormally close to the heat source or something? I'm sure you've considered all this already.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #10 on: 21 November, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »
I've no idea either, we just regard them as disposable. They do get recycled as crocking for plant pots.

So, does anybody have any idea what we can do with the wire carrier thingies?

« Reply #11 on: 21 November, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
Not being a particular fan of the circular Welsh rarebit, I have not chanced upon the stones. However, after a goooogle, the holders look to be the sort of thing I could construct a Carradice bag lift/rack thingy out of.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2013, 06:25:23 pm »
If you want them, PM me your address and I'll put them in the careful and attentive hands of RM.

two are oblong and one is cruciform.

« Reply #13 on: 05 December, 2013, 09:45:28 pm »
BTW, the resulting saddlebag up-lift device has been crafted from one of Clare's pizza stone holders and can be seen in the 'Wobbly Workshop' thread:smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...