Author Topic: Courtroom Artists..Why?  (Read 1102 times)

LEE

Courtroom Artists..Why?
« on: 04 December, 2013, 05:09:58 pm »
Given that there are photos of all the main protagonists arriving and leaving the court, why do we still need to see hand-drawn photos of people who only vaguely resemble the people in question?

For example, I know what Nigella Lawson looks like and I know what a Judge looks like.

Not like this

Why not just Photoshop actual images into a courtroom scene? or...just not bother.

It strikes me as one of the silliest things I can think of.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Courtroom Artists..Why?
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2013, 05:11:44 pm »
Hysterical Rasins, I suppose.

At least it keeps portrait artists with a poor grasp of perspective in work.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2013, 05:17:03 pm »
They have to do it from memory I believe - I don't think they can make any drawing in the actual court room?

I am not sure I could remember what Nigella Lawson looks like well enough to draw her, even if I could draw. 

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2013, 05:43:30 pm »
They even got the lines of coke on the desk.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »
Covered in an article on local news last night.  Drawings are from memory and the artist who did the work posted on here was interviewed on her work.  However, the introduction of cameras into courts might change that (or so the news item suggested).  Judges or others often buy the work apparently.

I suppose they are included to 'add flavour' to the news item and give visual impact.

And no, 'Photoshop' job would not be acceptable; newspaper distorting reality?  What a shocking suggestion!

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »
Was it last year when the Telegraph's photographers were banned from a cricket tour for some reason I forget?

The paper used paintings and sketches instead - it was absolutely fantastic; capturing the atmosphere and events far better than a phot.

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2013, 08:53:06 pm »
They have to do it from memory I believe - I don't think they can make any drawing in the actual court room?

I am not sure I could remember what Nigella Lawson looks like well enough to draw her, even if I could draw. 

Hmmm...god point, it's not like there are any photos of her available on the internet.

« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2013, 09:02:37 pm »

LEE

« Reply #8 on: 04 December, 2013, 11:52:57 pm »
http://m.imgur.com/C4GwgrK

I can see the point of them if they have humorous speech bubbles.