Author Topic: The Full Fat Festive 500: 511 km of riding in the bleak midwinter  (Read 16391 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: The Full Fat Festive 500: 511 km of riding in the bleak midwinter
« Reply #75 on: 30 December, 2018, 01:13:57 pm »
Surely people must be back by now...  ::-)

« Reply #76 on: 30 December, 2018, 01:14:36 pm »
I understand if any editorial changes are made to "Special thanks to the boss for cutting a deal with the wind God's!"  ::-)

« Reply #77 on: 30 December, 2018, 01:15:42 pm »
Surely people must be back by now...  ::-)

Third of the field, mainly those that decided to go straight through without booking somewhere to sleep.

« Reply #78 on: 31 December, 2018, 09:51:06 am »
All got back who were going to get back. Last with minutes to spare after a multiple visits from the puncture fairy on the way out; their Full Fat Festive 500 definitely wasn't skimmed!

Great ride all.

« Reply #79 on: 31 December, 2018, 11:46:01 am »
All got back who were going to get back. Last with minutes to spare after a multiple visits from the puncture fairy on the way out; their Full Fat Festive 500 definitely wasn't skimmed!

Great ride all.
Well that was tough, a visit or three held me up by over an hour at Acton Turville which put me on the back foot for the first 150km as I didn't see anyone, I came across our intrepid lantern rouge not far from Woburn and we sort of teamed up all the way to Cambridge save for me stopping for a filling station coffee and then finding him fixing yet another visit on the bike path next to the rather lovely A road into Shefford. We went our separate ways outside the Regal in Cambridge and I 'enjoyed' the driest burger I have ever had the pleasure of in the Regal standing out like a sore thumb whist everyone else was on a loud Saturday night out. The guided bus lane thingy to St. Ives fascinated me which kept me entertained all the way to St. Ives although there was some odd blokes along there with some sort of strobe light, so I pressed on a bit for a while worrying what they were up to. Why the chap and his three wives were going to St. Ives for I have no idea as there wasn't an awful lot there, I bumped into Mr Rouge again there he continued whilst I bought some bits and bobs from Mace. The next stretch to Northampton I don't really remember a lot of, I think I was on autopilot by this point, once the glorious sight of the Golden arches came into view I could see someone leaving which made me think I am finally grasping onto the coat tails of the 'peloton' there was another rider tucking in when I arrived who then fell asleep and I left him there sparko. The next 50km stretch I found really hard, and I visited some really dark places both figuratively and literally, why was I doing this and I am going to DNF at Tewkesbury as that would be an easy place for International Rescue to find me. I then came across a Audax Hotel so decided to try for a little sleep, it was cold and the rungs on the seat dug into my ribs, I gave up 30 minutes later just as two riders who had been a lot more organised than I came by having had a couple of hours sleep in Northampton. I continued out into the darkness which then became very foggy darkness as I reached the M40 valley up, up a couple of little pitches and the next control came into view. I found several riders here and found out that they too had found the last the leg had been tough, which I found strangely comforting it wasn't just me and perhaps I could do this after all. I spent on hour in the filling station mostly staring into the distance I finally came to the conclusion that I should really make a move. It was still dark!!
I felt quite good for the first 20kms after the control and it then started to get light although the fog made a reappearance which then left as soon as it had come and then sun finally came out and now I started feeling a lot better. I got to Tewkesbury and had made my mind up by that point to continue so had some more sarnies from a filling station and then hit the A38 south, the wind wasn't to bad but a head wind at 400+ kms made it hard plus its a road I know well, especially as it goes past my house by a mile and to make matters worse I saw my other half in the car going shopping. She didn't recognise me doh! as Audaxes are miles away!  ;D 
I struggled down to Thornbury this stretch really finished me off and I simply pootled into Bristol, although someone came from behind and gave a cheery hello and it was non other then Steve Abraham, I sort of followed Steve to the finish and it was all over.
20 hours of riding in the dark really did mess with my head but this was an awesome event I am so glad I rode, however I am at work today and have to confess, the lights are on but no one is at home.

Will thanks dude  :thumbsup: good for you for trying something new.
Eddington Number 75

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #80 on: 31 December, 2018, 03:30:01 pm »
We went our separate ways outside the Regal in Cambridge and I 'enjoyed' the driest burger I have ever had the pleasure of in the Regal standing out like a sore thumb whist everyone else was on a loud Saturday night out.

Blimey. The Cambridge Regal on a Saturday night  :o That really is intrepid!

Huge congratulations to you and all those who completed this.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 31 December, 2018, 05:44:41 pm »
a head wind at 400+ kms made it hard plus its a road I know well, especially as it goes past my house by a mile and to make matters worse I saw my other half in the car going shopping. She didn't recognise me doh! as Audaxes are miles away!  ;D 

;D

That is something I have never experienced (and I imagine few have!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #82 on: 01 January, 2019, 08:18:10 am »
I've seen on Strava TG has done 2 loops...  :o