Author Topic: Retouching frame finish  (Read 1564 times)

Retouching frame finish
« on: 31 August, 2019, 08:15:42 pm »
I have damaged the finish on my frame by using an ill-fitting BB tool. There are 3 areas on the bottom bracket shell, 2 underneath and 1 on top. The finish is a textured matt black anodising on a 7005 T6 alloy frame. I have rubbed down the areas ready for painting as shown in the photos.

My research has suggested I need an etching primer, although I don’t know what effect it may have on the surrounding anodising. I had hoped to use a brush rather than spray but this I understand is not advised as you need a thin layer which is difficult to control with a brush.

As for the top coat, I’m not sure if matte or satin will be the better match and there’s so many different types of paint I don’t know where to start. I’m not expecting a professional finish, just a hard wearing one.

I also need advice on masking tape as I don’t want paint on the face of the BB shell.

Thanks, Mark

Re: Retouching frame finish
« Reply #1 on: 01 September, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »
Given that the paint damage is mostly out of sight I'd be more focused on protecting the frame than trying to obtain a perfect finish. To that end I've had good results from this paint that can be applied directly to pretty much any surface including aluminium.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #2 on: 01 September, 2019, 05:00:54 pm »
Automotive touch up pens? £5.49 in your nearest Halfords.

« Reply #3 on: 01 September, 2019, 07:44:24 pm »
That's what I often use, and of course there is a wide choice of blacks.

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2019, 04:15:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out that paint. :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2019, 07:11:26 pm »
I normally just use nail polish! ;D

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2019, 07:20:19 am »
^^^ whs. Clear, if needs be.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:55:56 pm »
That's what I often use, and of course there is a wide choice of blacks.
I found one that's an almost perfect match for Moulton ivory powdercoat.  I need to touch up an old Hobbs frame and may take the fork into the shop to try and find a decent match.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:11:24 am »
As a model aeroplane maker I have stocks of Humbrol enamel paint which does touch up work fine, readily available in hobbycraft etc and I mix to get as close a colour match as I can. The model makers masking tape they sell in there is good quality too.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #9 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:24:50 am »

This, but matt would be difficult to achieve. Is there such a thing as matt nail varnish?

Clear will protect the frame.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 07 September, 2019, 02:03:36 pm »

This, but matt would be difficult to achieve. Is there such a thing as matt nail varnish?

There is indeed! I've got some matt black stuff for one of my bikes.

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2019, 11:53:03 pm »
I got matt black touch-up paint from Halfords for my Brompton.