Author Topic: What packable waterproof?  (Read 3596 times)

What packable waterproof?
« on: 10 April, 2018, 11:11:33 am »
As per title really.

This is to replace my aged Montane Velo, which is deader than a dead thing (while, mine's dead and jogler's is on it's last legs and a bit big), and seems to be discontinued. Needs to pack to the same size or smaller, this is the main requirement.

Breath-ability is not really a requirement, if I've got to the stage I'm deploying this I've probably been riding in the rain for a while and am soaked anyway, so boil in the bag is probably coming as a relief. Must have looong sleeves, in a perfect world long enough to wrap hands in.

Not crazy money, it's a rare use item.

What does the panel recommend?

EDIT: and not bright yellow or green either.  :hand:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What packable waterproof?
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:23:58 am »
For occasional use I have a 20€ Decathlon effort, which rides in a cut-down water bottle. Never used it, so no crit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:44:09 am »
I've yet to find a decent packable waterproof, I have a Showers Pass which passes the waterproof bit but fails the packable.
If you'll compromise the proof for resistant, there's a better choice in packable.  I'm currently using an Alpkit Arro which was a Christmas gift - it truly is a magical jacket, in that if i take it because it looks like rain, it doesn't.  It's been fine in a bit of drizzle and is a good windproof, I can't say more than that.   Seems to be similar size and weight to a Montane Velo (Was that waterproof?  I had a Montane that wasn't, but can't remember which.)
https://www.alpkit.com/products/arro-mens

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2018, 11:53:41 am »
I've yet to find a decent packable waterproof, I have a Showers Pass which passes the waterproof bit but fails the packable.
If you'll compromise the proof for resistant, there's a better choice in packable.  I'm currently using an Alpkit Arro which was a Christmas gift - it truly is a magical jacket, in that if i take it because it looks like rain, it doesn't.  It's been fine in a bit of drizzle and is a good windproof, I can't say more than that.   Seems to be similar size and weight to a Montane Velo (Was that waterproof?  I had a Montane that wasn't, but can't remember which.)
https://www.alpkit.com/products/arro-mens

Nope, more resistant but totally windproof, I suppose waterproof is the wrong word because nowt really is excepting sowesters. As stated, I'm already wet by the point it comes out (it'll pass, it'll pass, blue sky over there, turn left) so it is more about an extra windproof layer with some water resistance. Packable is the big requirement. That looks good and a bit smaller than Decathlons offering.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2018, 12:37:27 pm »
Not quite as small as a featherlight velo, but ime better waterproofing and keeps me warmer in the cold is my OMM waterproof, bought for running and riding. Packs into its own placket and will easily fit in the pocket of a jersey
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2018, 01:04:51 pm »
This is what I'm trying to pack it into. At the minute I've got my Velo and a tube in it and don't want to change my storage. I've grown to hate stuff in my pockets.

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2018, 03:14:23 pm »
Not quite as small as a featherlight velo, but ime better waterproofing and keeps me warmer in the cold is my OMM waterproof, bought for running and riding. Packs into its own placket and will easily fit in the pocket of a jersey
This one?
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-waterproof-shell-c51/waterproof-jackets-c203/halo-jacket-p9503
Lighter than The Montane Featherlite Velo, and hence at least potentially as small-packing

There are also the various Gore Shakedry jackets, which are properly waterproof/breathable and small packing, but are expensive and fairly delicate.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2018, 04:28:02 pm »
Not really waterproof, but the Montane Featherlite Trail jacket is probably a quite similar thing to the Featherlite Velo. https://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/featherlite-velo-jacket/104
Or go for the smock version, which is a bit lighter weight.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2018, 05:06:07 pm »
I've had an Endura Helium for a good few years and it's an excellent jacket that fits close, keeps out rain and packs down small.  It's started letting the rain in so I've replaced it with a Santini, but it's a bit bigger and wouldn't suit your spec.  The Endura is £90 RRP but you can generally pick them up for about £50 these days with a bit of hunting.

« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
I've got, and used, a Paramo windproof smock (Fuera I think). It did me a decent enough job at Pedal for Scotland last year which was the wettest ride I've done for a bit and the only time I've bothered to put it on. Currently failing your colour criterion (and it really is a drab green), but otherwise probably fits the bill.

« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2018, 10:13:32 pm »
For occasional use I have a 20€ Decathlon effort, which rides in a cut-down water bottle. Never used it, so no crit.

I have a £6.99 Decathlon effort that got some decent use in Flanders weather last week and passed.

« Reply #11 on: 11 April, 2018, 10:54:39 am »
Thanks folks. I think the plan is:

1) Go to Decathlon with the saddlebag and try and stuff things in it.
b) Failing that order a Helium jacket from CRC (£35 in white) and try and stuff it in the bag. I like Endura stuff.
iii) Failing that - Alpkit

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #12 on: 14 April, 2018, 10:22:43 pm »
https://www.castellicafe.co.uk/mens/castelli-sale-rail/jerseys-and-jackets/castelli-tempesta-race-jacket-waterproof-shell

I bought one of these and was sceptical. They are fantastic. 100% waterproof, packable and very breathable. I wore one for most of my arrow attempt and my jersey was almost dry under the rain top.

Make sure you follow the care instructions.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #13 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:22:13 pm »
I have the previous version of this (and I really like it):
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-squadra-windproof-jacket/
It's super thin and packs very small, but it's a windproof not a proper waterproof.

I made the mistake of buying the equivalent from Specialized in XL - it was too big and when it was windy it sounded (and felt) like a sail - I couldn't hear the person next to me thanks to the noise. The Castelli is size L, and I suspect that sizing is more important in these super thin things than is immediately obvious.

« Reply #14 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:27:16 pm »
Thanks but I'm not a fan of Castelli gear, I find the price versus longevity is usually wanting.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #15 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:31:35 pm »
The Endura Adrenaline Racecape does the job. Similar to the Castelli... £30-40 depending (See Google)

« Reply #16 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:39:07 pm »
Thanks but I'm not a fan of Castelli gear, I find the price versus longevity is usually wanting.
That was £28, which was better than the £45 Specialized.  Then again, their clothing tends to be spendy too. :(