Author Topic: I should, apparently, chill  (Read 4792 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
I should, apparently, chill
« on: 28 April, 2008, 10:20:51 pm »
Or so the 'kin stupid muppet on a bicycle who had a head on collision with me this evening told me.

To save having to fight he cars round Wandsworth Bridge Roundabout, I took the cycle path across one corner. Coming up to a blind bend a total fuckwit can steaming round the bend far too fast and had a head on collision with me.

I'd stopped, he almost stopped so no damage was done to either bicycle or person - but I could just as easily have been a pedestrian or a child, or dog or any other vulnerable thing.

Hopefully he'll think about his actions later.

This has been a get of of your chest broadcast.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

clarion

• Tyke
Re: I should, apparently, chill
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:22:25 pm »
Yeah, chill, mate.  What's your problem? ;)
Getting there...

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »
What a tosser.

I had a massive argument with an idiot on a bike the other morning. He jumped off the pavement on his Halfrauds special, full sus MTB, right in front of me, and when I politely protested he retorted "you had loadzaroom, bitch".

Pleasant chap.

And there's me thinking that the age of chivalry was dead.

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:04:37 pm »
Avoided yet another lemming on the way home. I'd anticipated it, scrubbed off some speed and gave them a hearty "Look!" as I went past them. They caught me up waiting at the traffic lights.

Them: "You almost hit me!"

Me: "You walked out into the road infront of me without even looking. Even my 6 year old nephew knows how to cross the road."

Them: "But you almost hit me!"

Me: "I know, I did my job by avoiding you, despite your best intentions to fling yourself under my wheel. And you'll probably keep wandering out into the road without looking, and people will keep doing their best to avoid you until one day you'll walk out into the road without looking, right in-front of a car that won't avoid you, because they weren't paying attention, or they were drunk, and then you'll be dead."

Them: "But...but...but..."

Me: "Stop. Look. Listen. Green Cross Code. It's all under your control. If you truly have a deathwish please continue walking into the road without looking."

Them: *silence*

Me: "Has it sunk in yet? Good."

I feel I could have this same conversation twenty times a day.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2008, 06:27:11 am »
Brilliant  ;D

spen666

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:12:02 am »
What a tosser.

That's no way to talk about our Graham

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2008, 09:15:04 am »
Isn't this a little like that RLJing tosser of a doctor who hit you and blamed you for not wearing a helmet?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2008, 12:52:46 pm »
Isn't this a little like that RLJing tosser of a doctor who hit you and blamed you for not wearing a helmet?

He didn't hit me, only because I was watching him and avoided him. But he did try and blame me for not wearing a helmet.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2008, 01:05:58 pm »
Graham - sounds like you were uncharacteristically restrained.  You must, indeed, be chilling...

FWIW, I'm for the compulsory neutering of idiot road/pavement users.

Preferably with a rusty scythe  >:(
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2008, 01:11:52 pm »
Graham - sounds like you were uncharacteristically restrained.  You must, indeed, be chilling...

I'm sorry, but I cannot condone the cutting off of people's genitalia for offences such as these.    >:(

Much better to grind them off slowly with Munky's dremel!!!!    :demon: :demon: :thumbsup: ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2008, 01:12:18 pm »

You should have been there on Saturday.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2008, 10:48:36 am »
And the not so sublime.

Apologies to the old bloke who received an earful last night on my way home.

In my defence I'd just gone through the usual lemming-fest that is Upper Ground/Belvedere Road and he wound me up by telling me to "Get off and walk" as I was cycling at 3mph across a toucan crossing (as in crossing the road). At first I pointed to the green bicycle on the crossing lights and said "I'm allowed to, it's a bike crossing." It's not as if I was attempting it at 20mph.

What I really wanted to say, in reply to his dismissive scoff, was something along the lines of:

"Look. I stop at red lights. I make frequent observations. I indicate. I anticipate. I give way to buses. I stop for people waiting at zebra crossings. I often cede priority rather than assume it is my God given right to make progress. I always have lights on my bike and I make sure they're bright. I know that those few extra seconds aren't going to ruin my day. I like to believe I'm a nice polite road user. And yet, even when I'm perfectly legally crossing the road using a cycle crossing at not much over walking pace I receive abuse. You Sir are a buffoon, and an ignorant one at that."

Instead I called him several nasty things that probably didn't make his day. And I'm still feeling a bit guilty about it now.  :-\
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
He didn't hit me, only because I was watching him and avoided him. But he did try and blame me for not wearing a helmet.

Oh, sorry, I thought you received a back injury as a result of that?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:30:27 pm »

What I really wanted to say, in reply to his dismissive scoff, was something along the lines of:

"Look. I stop at red lights. I make frequent observations. I indicate. I anticipate. I give way to buses. I stop for people waiting at zebra crossings. I often cede priority rather than assume it is my God given right to make progress. I always have lights on my bike and I make sure they're bright. I know that those few extra seconds aren't going to ruin my day. I like to believe I'm a nice polite road user. And yet, even when I'm perfectly legally crossing the road using a cycle crossing at not much over walking pace I receive abuse. You Sir are a buffoon, and an ignorant one at that."

Instead I called him several nasty things that probably didn't make his day. And I'm still feeling a bit guilty about it now.  :-\

I have that problem too.  My most snappy responses would only be of any use if I could find someone who was prepared to spend the time to wait and listen to it all.   :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #14 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:14:47 pm »

I have that problem too.  My most snappy responses would only be of any use if I could find someone who was prepared to spend the time to wait and listen to it all.   :-[

Maybe the answer is yACF clue vouchers. Instead of shouting, simply hand one out.

CLUE VOUCHER

Clue free about cycling? This voucher may help. <www.yacf.co.uk>

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #15 on: 01 May, 2008, 07:23:28 pm »
In my defence I'd just gone through the usual lemming-fest that is Upper Ground/Belvedere Road and he wound me up by telling me to "Get off and walk" as I was cycling at 3mph across a toucan crossing Instead I called him several nasty things that probably didn't make his day. And I'm still feeling a bit guilty about it now.  :-\

My best response, is to not bother responding.
Better still, show them that you don't place any value in their words. I just look at them for a moment, then continue on my way.
It undermimes them and sometimes winds them up, because they are often looking for an argument when they tell you how to behave. They get very frustrated when they don't get a response, but they eventually get the message that they are not valued.
I frequentkly practiced this as work when I used to work with a load of  ****ers.
What happened was, that whatever they were trying to do to you (annoy you, advise you when they have no idea or whatever) it gets thrown back in their face. They end up on the recieving end. You just watch them wind themselves up.

One trick is to remember the old addage, that when someone is insulting you, it tells you more about them than it does about you.
They will often call you lots of rude names after they have done something stupid. When they do that, they are usually describing themselves.
If you realy want to piss them off, just listen to what they say and calmly agree with them.

« Reply #16 on: 01 May, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »
This evening, cycling home from Richmond Park, a woman cut me up badly as she turned in front of me into The Priory. I raced after her and gave her a piece of my mind. I was shocked by her response.

She apologised. Profusely and genuinely. And as I rode away, the lady in the car behind her gave me the thumbs up and mouthed "good for you!".

:-o

Jezza

« Reply #17 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:02:24 pm »
In my defence I'd just gone through the usual lemming-fest that is Upper Ground/Belvedere Road and he wound me up by telling me to "Get off and walk" as I was cycling at 3mph across a toucan crossing Instead I called him several nasty things that probably didn't make his day. And I'm still feeling a bit guilty about it now.  :-\

My best response, is to not bother responding.
Better still, show them that you don't place any value in their words. I just look at them for a moment, then continue on my way.
It undermimes them and sometimes winds them up, because they are often looking for an argument when they tell you how to behave. They get very frustrated when they don't get a response, but they eventually get the message that they are not valued.
I frequentkly practiced this as work when I used to work with a load of  ****ers.
What happened was, that whatever they were trying to do to you (annoy you, advise you when they have no idea or whatever) it gets thrown back in their face. They end up on the recieving end. You just watch them wind themselves up.

One trick is to remember the old addage, that when someone is insulting you, it tells you more about them than it does about you.
They will often call you lots of rude names after they have done something stupid. When they do that, they are usually describing themselves.
If you realy want to piss them off, just listen to what they say and calmly agree with them.

Sound advice.

We should all chill.