Author Topic: Are we our own worst enemy?  (Read 10903 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Are we our own worst enemy?
« Reply #25 on: 08 May, 2008, 12:07:56 pm »
Ahhhh - I don't find it too bad.  I think Marble Arch is worse - simply because of the phasing of the lights and the bus slip road.
I did that after 131 miles in the saddle.  I think I still produced a half-decent sprint - fear is a wonderful thing sometimes.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #26 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »
Close Ian, they will do that, but some will also be pushy arsehole cyclists like the worst of the drivers we come across.

True. Unfortunately.

There's a little voice in my head says 'mandatory cycling tests', but I realise that would be impractical and, for encouraging people on to bikes, counterproductive.

Also pointless; mandatory driving tests have done nothing to stop impatient arsehole motorists from behaving as such.  I can't imagine it would have any effect on impatient arsehole cyclists either.

border-rider

« Reply #27 on: 09 May, 2008, 06:22:51 pm »
Ahhhh - I don't find it too bad.

Nor me.  I used to work there and Brommie it from Paddington. 

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 10 May, 2008, 01:18:09 pm »
I couldn't get over the speed some of these twatlists were doing through Hyde Park.

All you need is some kiddy running across thier path and it's curtains for little Johnnie.  :(

Crossing the road against the flow of lycra clad lemmings to get to Zipperhead was bloody tricky too.  >:(

H

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 10 May, 2008, 02:06:32 pm »
My experience with roundabout is that they are all about experience - and each one is different.

Once you've ridden round one a few (dozen) times you get to know it and gain confidence from the (probably false) impression that you know how to deal with it.

I haven't ridden enough in that bit of London to gain confidence on the junctions: too much of me is still trying to remember which way to go.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30 on: 12 May, 2008, 08:32:10 am »
I couldn't get over the speed some of these twatlists were doing through Hyde Park.

Last week some cyclist was shouting angrily at us skaters "Get out of my way!!!".  Mind you, I've seen the same sort of attitude towards pedestrians from skaters and cyclists.   ::-)
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #31 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:24:13 am »
OT, were you on the group skate yesterday Mikey?  It was going through Pimlico as I arrived home and I looked out for you to say 'Hello' but I couldn't see you.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #32 on: 12 May, 2008, 09:28:47 am »
My experience with roundabout is that they are all about experience - and each one is different...

...too much of me is still trying to remember which way to go.

Clockwise. Except, possibly, this one (not quite London).  ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #33 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:02:16 am »
All you need is some kiddy running across thier path and it's curtains for little Johnnie.  :(

No it's bloody not.   >:(

Don't start talking up the danger of being hit by bikes. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #34 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:06:21 am »
My experience with roundabout is that they are all about experience - and each one is different.

More amusement this morning at the Westminster Bridge roundabout by Waterloo. It's amusing to see the faces of drivers looking at their Sat Navs directing them anti-clockwise round the roundabout whilst all of the traffic is going clockwise.

*checks* Yup, even Google Maps hasn't been updated yet: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3pkoxw
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #35 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:08:29 am »

Would be less of a problem if the children pedestrians were wearing hi-vis and helmets.

aglet

« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:19:20 am »

Would be less of a problem if the children pedestrians were wearing hi-vis and helmets.

You laugh, but my son's (primary) school recently announced they'd bought a whole load of hi-viz vests for when they take children off school premises.  Helmets are the logical next step...

« Reply #37 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:23:23 am »

More amusement this morning at the Westminster Bridge roundabout by Waterloo. It's amusing to see the faces of drivers looking at their Sat Navs directing them anti-clockwise round the roundabout whilst all of the traffic is going clockwise.

*checks* Yup, even Google Maps hasn't been updated yet: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3pkoxw

I am confused.  Was that junction ever as Google Maps shows it? 

« Reply #38 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:26:20 am »

Go to the satellite view and zoom right in. Look at the road markings and the directions of the cars/bus on the inside of the roundabout.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #39 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:28:19 am »

I have a feeling it was like that for a few weeks when they were working on the office block nearby, as there was a crane in the road.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:28:28 am »
You laugh, but my son's (primary) school recently announced they'd bought a whole load of hi-viz vests for when they take children off school premises.  Helmets are the logical next step...

...and if you, as a parent, were to say, "Don't be bloody stupid, my son doesn't need to wear one of those jackets, he'll look like a prat", you'll be vilified.

Think of the children - the cry of the uninformed.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #41 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:39:24 am »
If you, as a parent, were to say, "Don't be bloody stupid, my son doesn't need to wear one of those jackets, he'll look like a prat", you'll be vilified.
I admire your self-restraint in the use of the substitute word "prat" ;)

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:41:55 am »
Why, thank you  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #43 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:44:12 am »
Think of the children - the cry of the uninformed.

Also rapidly becoming the cry of the uniformed too.

<sigh> Nobby nobhead on his bike the other morning, crossed Trinity Way (Manchester inner ring road dual carriageway, for those who don't know) against the lights, and I had serious doubts about a) whether he'd make it in one piece, and b) whether I'd actually bother to phone for an ambulance if he didn't.  Fortunately for him, he managed to avoid being hit, and the need for a decision never arose.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #44 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:43:58 pm »
peds as the default and natural state always get respect and other have to conform to them surely, within reason

I miss all the sarf london roundabouts, I used to have a lovely straight ride all the way down to Colliers Wood via Elephant and Castle

don;t get none no more in North London

where is this place anyway? is it the forum for all the bad seens kicked offa acf?

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #45 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

where is this place anyway? is it the forum for all the bad seens kicked offa acf?

This is where all the cool kids went  8)
Owner of a languishing Langster

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #46 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:55:13 pm »

This is where all the cool kids went  8)

Nah, can't be.  I'm here.  :)

« Reply #47 on: 12 May, 2008, 04:32:10 pm »
Hello Tynan!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #48 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:30:18 am »

Go to the satellite view and zoom right in. Look at the road markings and the directions of the cars/bus on the inside of the roundabout.

Blimey, so it was.  Actually, now I come to think of it, I do remember being able to go that-way-round on my way home in the dim & distant past.  The change didn't affect my way in, so it's only a 50% change in my head :)

(dear me, my memory is *shocking*.)

« Reply #49 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:47:27 am »
I remember turning right at the "Fume DDS" building in the middle of that roundabout (when coming from Lambeth Palace way).