Author Topic: I am an angry cyclist...  (Read 7096 times)

Re: I am an angry cyclist...
« Reply #25 on: 09 May, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »
What's to be done with these cyclepath peds, eh?  Arrest them?  Give them a ticket?

Give them all numberplates, introduce a strict pedestrian test and make them pay some pavement tax! :demon:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #26 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:33:14 pm »
I refer the thread to the nauseating one about the road rage driver.

Keep calm and happy. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #27 on: 09 May, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »
I remember last year when my daughter was learning to ride solo without stabilizers. So due to nervous, slow and wobbly nature we took her on a cycle path (Bristol-Bath) away from fast motorised traffic. I won't forget the fear/panic caused by the occaisional cylists rushing past at 20mph with inches to spare. Shouting a warning can makes things worse as it startles/scares peds/kids.

Cylce paths are shared facilities, and kids and pedestrians have every right to use them. Slow down be polite and pass safely. If you want to ride fast and not have to clown as much then find a main road.

Your young daughter is also quite legally entitled to be and feel safe on the road too. The fact that you think that a cyclepath is needed shows how bad the situation on the road is. I could easily pass your daughter riding at over 20mph on the road, and give her a very wide berth and not make her feel threatened or intimidated.
But, on the cyclepath, I would have to slow right down. I'd also check that she wouldn't steer into the part of the cyclepath I would ride on while overtaking. It would need some thought before overtaking. If only all motorists drove like that, we wouldn't "need" these cyclepaths.

Also, cyclepaths are nothing more than legalised pavement cycling. I ride on them like I would (but don't) ride on a footpath. I cycle past schoolchildren on my daily commute on a cyclepath (It's that, or wait for several minutes to make a right turn onto a busy road, so no real time difference) I always have it in mind that pedestrians don't watch where they are going. The children run all over the place. I just watch them. They can be good entertainment if you have the right attitude. I think that they see me as a smiling and happy cyclist, rather than an angry cyclist who is always in a rush and full of self importance.

As Andy G says.
You just gotta chill if you want to use the cyclepath. 8)
Or you can always use the road if you're in a hurry.

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #28 on: 09 May, 2008, 09:50:51 pm »
Try a bell, horn, or hooter - they seem to react to these things - except for the school kids who think its fun to be run into by an old cyclist - put your elbows out & go for it, after a few days they get the message.
Where have all the hedges gone ?

« Reply #29 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:13:50 am »
put your elbows out & go for it, after a few days they get the message.

Have you read what has been written above?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #30 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:14:49 am »
I was thinking of this thread when I stopped for a toddler earlier today on a cycle path.  Pedestrian right of way, even if the pedestrian is eighteen months old.  And he was doing that toddler thing of looking one way but toddling in a totally different direction, and his mum watched him totter into my path with the look of one who knows her firstborn is about to be squashed into jelly and then eaten on toast by a hungry cyclist.  I had been going at about 8kph but I stopped completely while she came over to fish him off the path.  Unfortunately TwatOnnaBike coming past (wearing a helmet - it's nice to know he prioritises his own safety) didn't think he needed to bother, and there was a slightly heartstopping moment where he very nearly mowed down the baby, missing it by inches.

I would have said something if I'd caught him up but the red lights I stopped for - he didn't - meant he got away... 

>:(

rae

« Reply #31 on: 10 May, 2008, 12:25:02 am »
I have recently been riding with a 3 year old.  While we don't go on roads, we often have to cross them, and pretty much without fail, car drivers stop and let us cross when they see a young child on a bike.   

Contrast that to the cnuts who ride bikes on the Regents canal towpath, who seem far more aggressive than any car driver I have encountered.   I did have a quiet word with one of them ("try that again you prick and you'll learn what it feels like to go swimming with your bike shoved up your arse").  Clearly I wasn't shouting for fear to teaching the little un some new words. 

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2008, 04:34:56 pm »
Anyways thankyou all for your insights on this, I have to admit, yes I was wrong, did I feel bad afterwards? Yes I did.

It's no excuse but more mitigating circumstances, the next morning (after the aforementioned incidents) I realised I had got sunstroke, so my temper and usual good humour would have been diminished....

I may never ever use a psychopath again :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 10 May, 2008, 11:10:51 pm »
You said:

"So my question is, why oh why have I become such a snotty cyclist?  I didn't used to be like this..."

and I said it was the heat. The first heatwave brings out the worst in people until they get used to it...

Personally, if I was you I'd forget some of the more strident criticism of you on here. You'd not have posted if you weren't uncomfortable with your behaviour, and if you were uncomfortable with your behaviour then there isn't really an issue.

It is simpler than it looks.

gonzo

« Reply #34 on: 11 May, 2008, 01:12:34 pm »
Great fun today:
I had an old lady shout that "cyclists are a bloody nuisance" in my direction today. The fact that she'd just walked out in front of me after having already crossed the street was neither here nor there. I think that she also ignored the fact that I had a green light, the crossing man was red. Clearly, my fault!

They kept me entertained the whole way home!