Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2470772 times)

Ruth

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #6675 on: 29 October, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »
I do have an action photo, not a great one, in it little Joe has a really miserable look on has face were as normally he loves being on the bike. It's on the home computer so once I'm home again at the weekend I'll post it.

Oh, excellent!  Ta!

:D :D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6676 on: 30 October, 2013, 08:21:11 am »
My (formerly Interzen's) Dave Yates, taken earlier this year (obviously) on my commute

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #6677 on: 31 October, 2013, 03:06:37 pm »
Sks mudguards and DMR motos fitted. Its had a good whack with the ugly stick but it rides great. The DMR tyres are like riding on air. It looks wicked without the guards, lights and batteries bolted to it but its been built for a purpose. The tyres just fit under the guards but my schwalbe winters fit with ease.

I may stick the rack on and do a couple of nights in Wales if the floods stop!

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6678 on: 31 October, 2013, 03:38:09 pm »
It's not ugly, it's purposeful. I wouldn't call it pretty but it has a beauty in its own way. It causes me admiration and ideas of doing the same (if I ever recover my mtb from the in-laws).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6679 on: 31 October, 2013, 04:02:07 pm »
Awww thanks. I think it knows I've called it ugly, it's got a p#*cture :D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #6680 on: 31 October, 2013, 06:24:33 pm »
I love that. I'm ever so tempted to fit some 29x1.8s to my Byercycles and chuck on some midge bars...

I bet it feels indomitable.

« Reply #6681 on: 31 October, 2013, 06:49:19 pm »
Compared to my road bikes it does! I love not having to avoid every pothole.

Try a pair 1.8s or wider if you can get them on. Okay these tyres are heavier than 23c but once rolling you don't notice it. If you're not going to go off road get something like schwalbe big apples or similar, I stuck these on to help on and off road. Treat yourself to some cheap air suspension :D

« Reply #6682 on: 31 October, 2013, 08:30:33 pm »
One of my brothers, who lives in Teesside, did his first Audax (Shyumu's 50k) with me in September.  He did it on what I charitably call a farm-gate.  I think he is hooked, because he asked me to recommend a bike that would be lighter and faster.  He has no real experience of bikes other than commuting on the gate which is a "ride to work scheme" bike.  He was thinking about a Carrera that Halfords had on offer but I asked him to wait until I'd had a word with Torslanda of this parish.  Here is the result:-

It's freshly powder-coated Raleigh 531 frame, with a mixture of new and used components.  It's getting a new seat-post, a new headset lock-nut and I expect bro. to change the pedals once he's got used to the bike (he's only ever ridden pedals with no clips or cleats).

I think Torslanda has wrought a minor miracle here and brought the whole thing in at substantially under £300.  It really flies and I can't wait to get it up to Teesside.

I'm not in the least surprised that Torslanda's been able to get through his first year of running his shop in a lousy economic climate.  He's very good!  If you live in the Manchesterford area, or anywhere really, and you want something that does the job, is well set-up but doesn't have to have come from a showroom, give him a try!

Peter

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6683 on: 31 October, 2013, 09:12:16 pm »
With apologies for the absence of Marmite, not the easiest thing to find when the only shops close by are a 'Holistic dog-grooming parlour' (Pffft! WTF?), DIY, carp angling and motorcycles . . .

We did ask.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6684 on: 01 November, 2013, 11:03:39 am »
Looks good to me, and quite clearly bargainaceous. But don't you have Marmite sandwiches at work?!!!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6685 on: 01 November, 2013, 11:27:14 am »
With apologies for the absence of Marmite, not the easiest thing to find when the only shops close by are a 'Holistic dog-grooming parlour' (Pffft! WTF?), DIY, carp angling and motorcycles . . .

We did ask.

Disappointing and shows a lack of commitment.  Marmite has a long shelf life and doesn't need refrigerating.  You should always have a jar handy for photographic purposes.

;D

I'm only kidding - looks like a smashing bike.  Are you sure you can't move lock, stock and barrel to mid-Essex?  You'd like it, really you would.  We'd look after you - promise.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6686 on: 01 November, 2013, 12:59:33 pm »
(i may appear thick now) i'm reading this forum for a few years now and still don't get the "marmite" joke.. is this marmite thing unique to yacf and how is it related to bike photos?..

« Reply #6687 on: 01 November, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »
A lot of the photos of bike have been of a new bike freshly built up in the persons kitchen. The presence of Marmite in the background of the picture on a worksurface became a meme.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6688 on: 01 November, 2013, 01:16:03 pm »
where meme = in joke.
I suddenly feel like starting a peanut butter thing, or maybe jam, and I do have new bars on one of my bikes...

« Reply #6689 on: 01 November, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »
I'd always thought the marmite was to prove it was the poster's own bike, and not just a picture pinched from the internet.  ???
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #6690 on: 01 November, 2013, 01:56:04 pm »
That's a good point. Sort of watermark or seal of authenticity.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6691 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:24:50 pm »
That's a good point. Sort of watermark or seal of authenticity.

OK. Just to prove it's NOT a random tinterweb download . . .

Outside the shop window

VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6692 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:28:28 pm »

Disappointing and shows a lack of commitment.  Marmite has a long shelf life and doesn't need refrigerating.  You should always have a jar handy for photographic purposes.

;D

I'm only kidding - looks like a smashing bike.  Are you sure you can't move lock, stock and barrel to mid-Essex?  You'd like it, really you would.  We'd look after you - promise.

Couldn't afford the property prices . . . Any road, there's always Parcel Farce.
VELOMANCER

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6693 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:37:07 pm »
Jaywick is quite reasonable property-price-wise
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #6694 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »
....admittedly, more North- Essex than mid-essex.

Romford?

:-D
:-P
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6695 on: 01 November, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »
Naaaaaaaaa, mate! Luton airport!
VELOMANCER

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6696 on: 02 November, 2013, 04:35:42 pm »
Our shop costs 500 notes a month.  Colchester.

« Reply #6697 on: 02 November, 2013, 09:55:12 pm »
Our shop costs 500 notes a month.  Colchester.

Sounds reasonable to me but when you add in translation costs for Torslanda (both ways), it gets expensive.......

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #6698 on: 03 November, 2013, 09:50:56 am »
Jaywick is quite reasonable property-price-wise

I wonder why? ;D

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain