Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2471375 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8175 on: 21 May, 2016, 09:37:59 pm »
First new bike in years.  :D

Not used it in anger yet. Setting up the tubeless was more of a PITA than I thought it would be. Still not entirely confident it's properly sealed at the valves.

Going to have a go at making a frame bag, seat pack and handlebar harness soon with a view to spending days in the wilderness.

That looks NICE and right :thumbsup:

« Reply #8176 on: 22 May, 2016, 01:39:35 am »
That looks NICE and right :thumbsup:

It does look pretty good doesn't it. Have to admit the teenager in me made this a bit of an impulse buy. I've been looking at MTB's for a while and lusted after an original Pine Mountain after seeing it in the pages of MBUK back in about 1990, so the fluro orange stem and rigid forks sold it for me. It may be wearing bar ends in the near future for that proper 90's look (and to give my ageing hands/wrists some options).  :P

Aside from hiring bikes at Glentress a couple of times every summer, it's been ages since I've been on fat tyres. It'll take a bit of adjustment from regularly riding something that weighs about 17lbs with 23c rubber onto something that's not far off twice that weight with 2.8 inch tyres (which, on my short test ride don't seem to be as ponderous and slow as you'd think). But I can't wait to give it a proper shakedown in the hills.

Chris N

« Reply #8177 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:46:11 am »

« Reply #8178 on: 22 May, 2016, 09:55:04 am »

Not used it in anger yet. Setting up the tubeless was more of a PITA than I thought it would be. Still not entirely confident it's properly sealed at the valves.

Going to have a go at making a frame bag, seat pack and handlebar harness soon with a view to spending days in the wilderness.

:thumbs:

I was looking at one of these the other day, thankfully it wasn't my size and it would've come out of my camera fund 9 (which I've now spent!)

It takes me back to the good old mtb days when I rode Marin and GTs.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

fuzzy

« Reply #8179 on: 23 May, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »
We has a pre loved Marin Eldridge in Stealth and Dayglow (matt grey and orange)  a bit like this one for sale at the bike shop........

Not a whole lot of tokens required IIRC.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8180 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:37:40 am »
We has a pre loved Marin Eldridge in Stealth and Dayglow (matt grey and orange)  a bit like this one for sale at the bike shop........

Not a whole lot of tokens required IIRC.

Mid-90's model, great frames, perfect basis for a do-it-all hack/commuter bike.

They do tend to come up a little small, though, if you normal ride a 19", go for a 21" etc etc.

I am still looking for a '98 Pine Mountain (metallic green frame).  Best hardtail I ever had!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #8181 on: 25 May, 2016, 09:18:03 pm »
Ooops, had a little clickcident...Gonna need a bigger SEEKRIT BUNKER ;D

-------------------
>> c u down the road...you not coming to Paris then?
>Nope, done it once. Only way I'd consider it is something dumb like the tandem recumbent record.

Ah, ummm, yes :facepalm: Idjeet wanted, apply within...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8182 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:34:50 pm »
Proper awesome.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8183 on: 26 May, 2016, 04:12:04 pm »
:o :o :o Gissago, iddu!
Getting there...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8184 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:50:56 pm »
:o :o :o Gissago, iddu!

You captain, I'll stoke . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #8185 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:49:01 pm »

Audax ready (well I might need mudguards)!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Paul

« Reply #8186 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »
That looks like the bar tape I have. I gave up on the Brooks stuff - it looked lovely but was very hard on the hands, even with gel/other tape underneath. The replacement doesn't look as good close up, but it's not bad, and it's much more comfortable. I suspect it will be lower maintenance too.

« Reply #8187 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:56:46 pm »
It's Fizik Superlight Classic. I've only done this mornings commute of 15 miles so far with both the saddle and the tape. It's not as padded as my previous tape. I'm thinking I might re-wrap this over the old tape fixed along the tops as extra padding as it's a bit hard
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #8188 on: 28 May, 2016, 07:40:50 pm »
Instead of n+1 because n+1 has gone missing. I decided to drag myself into the present century with a new bitsa road bike. SAB alloy/carbon frame, Tiagra sti changers, clipless pedals, that sort of thing. Spent from October, when I bought the frame, to March picking up bits and pieces as bargains and time permitted. Being only half competent with a toolkit, I handed some of the work to my trusted LBS to put the bits togther and went off on a business trip. Text'd the shop to say I'd be back Friday and in on Monday to collect. Went on Monday 2nd May only to find THE SHOP HAD CLOSED DOWN.  Apparently my bike is in the former owner's brother's garage, but who knows where that is. I'm still without it a month later.
So instead I raided the parts bin and built myself a fixie. And yes, the wheels are different sizes. 559 with 34X13 gives 68" fixed. Weighs exactly 10kg. Haven't ridden fixed since I was a teenager. It's a hoot.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8189 on: 28 May, 2016, 08:18:57 pm »
Gosh! I hope you get your 21st-century bitsa bike back, but in the meantime – hoot on!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

« Reply #8190 on: 28 May, 2016, 10:57:25 pm »
How tall are you, phil653? Is there a clue in your name?

I'm not sure what a bitsa bike is, but if the shop has closed down and your bike is nowhere to be seen, you may need to start thinking about where you are in the queue of creditors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8191 on: 28 May, 2016, 10:58:21 pm »

Best bicycle-shaped optical illusion since Wobbly John last got his welding kit out.  Are you excessively tall, or does the bike just look that way?

ETA: Crosspost with Paul

« Reply #8192 on: 29 May, 2016, 09:30:49 am »
That's what you get when you put a 26" wheel in a frame designed for 700c's. So, herewith an optical illusion buster: the blue'un parked next to the Roberts. The blue'un is a British Eagle built from Reynolds 653 - hence user name - and is a 60cm frame. The Roberts is a 58cm.  No, I'm not excessively tall, a shade over 6' so no hobbit either.  The blue'un was last seen on these pages as a Fully Loaded Tourer. It had been languishing part-stripped in the shed since I built up the Roberts.
N+1 is a bitsa because it's got bitsa this and bitsa that. The SAB frame cost 75 quid, the forks are Gazelle. The wheels are my old light but strong sprints with tubs. The sti shifters and bars came from a second-hand bin. In what could prove to be mistake, it's got a 10 speed screw-on freewheel from SJS, but at only 5mm wider than the 7 speed that it replaces, I'm hoping the extra distance from the inboard bearings doesn't lead to a snapped axle anytime soon.

STOP PRESS: In news just in, n+1 is said to be coming back to me mañana. Got to hope that's mañana in it's literal sense of 'the day after today' and not in the more frequently used 'sometime in the future, but not today'.

They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #8193 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:34:40 pm »

:thumbs:

I was looking at one of these the other day, thankfully it wasn't my size and it would've come out of my camera fund 9 (which I've now spent!)

It takes me back to the good old mtb days when I rode Marin and GTs.

Exactly what bumper said.

Apart from mine was a fund for, er, another bike :-)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8194 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »
My current Aravis set up

IMG_3079 by ian, on Flickr

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #8195 on: 31 May, 2016, 08:22:21 pm »

New bike Genesis Datum 20

105 11 speed hydraulic disks, carbon frame, SKS longboards, Brooks B17, Carradice SQR Tour, Velocity Aireon rims, Schmidt with thru axel at front, Velocity Aireon + XTR at back, IQ X front, Leyezne rear, side entry bottle cages, nice genesis randonneur bars, old M540 pedals, Challenge Strada Bianca Pro 30mm tyres

Viewed here shortly after completing the Kernow and South West 600

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8196 on: 19 June, 2016, 09:15:47 pm »
My toy

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Samuel D

« Reply #8197 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:33:46 pm »
My current Aravis set up

IMG_3079 by ian, on Flickr

Classy. Lots of carefully chosen stuff there, much of which I’d choose myself! But I’d replace the cages with the steel version.

What are the angles on the frame?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8198 on: 20 June, 2016, 11:55:43 am »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8199 on: 20 June, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »

Very nice!

... SKS longboards...

A quick question: I notice that the Datum has a mid-fork mount for the front guard.  How far up from the axle center is the mount?

I recently tried fitting a set of Longboards to my Planet-X London Road which also has mid-fork mounts, and found that the stays weren't long enough to reach the lower mounting point on the guard, owing to it being a lot further down than a standard SKS chromoplastic guard.

The mount point on the Planet-X is quite high - 160mm away from the axle centre.  I guess the datum must be a bit lower than that.

(I trial fitted the front guard off my day01, a standard SKS chromoplastic guard,  to the Planet X and the stays reach OK, albeit with no need to trim the lower stay).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike