Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2471345 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #2125 on: 02 October, 2009, 07:28:20 pm »
Dude! I think I kinda hate you . . .

. . . or is it coz I is jelliss?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2126 on: 02 October, 2009, 07:52:17 pm »
You haven't put away the tricolore; it's hiding around the corner.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2127 on: 02 October, 2009, 08:28:30 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #2128 on: 02 October, 2009, 09:09:38 pm »

In my country le tricolore means blue-white-red anyway... ::-) You must be colour blind.  ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2129 on: 02 October, 2009, 09:36:39 pm »
First week of October, so it's time to put away the tricolore:

drip.. drip.. drip.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2130 on: 02 October, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »

In my country le tricolore means blue-white-red anyway... ::-) You must be colour blind.  ;D

Don't worry, I have a French version just for you.

« Reply #2131 on: 04 October, 2009, 04:08:28 pm »
this is my caygill tourer=and is steel

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2132 on: 05 October, 2009, 12:27:47 am »
Woah! That's some laid back head angle.

Stable? Looks like it has the turning circle of the Torrey Canyon!

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2133 on: 05 October, 2009, 09:49:20 am »

My old Harry Quinn fixer.  I got it reassembled yesterday afternoon and wiped the Aussie mud off the wheels.

On One hubs on Rigida Chrina rims, 48x18 EAI sprocket and Campag chainset.  Goldfinger lever on Nitto bullhorns.  The mudguards don't match and neither do the tyres which are almost always part-worns from other bikes.  The rest of it's salvaged from bits and pieces found in boxes and discarded from upgrades.

It's the bike I leave locked up in town, the bike I ride in all weathers and the bike I lend to friends.  It's battered, slightly rusty and maybe it's seen better days.  Still love it, though.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2134 on: 05 October, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »
Another bike + scenery photo.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #2135 on: 07 October, 2009, 12:09:37 pm »
Kili Winter Warrior Phase 2. Looks SO much better with a white stem (thanks Paul!!) and white Saracen forks (thanks to retrobike Forum). Wheels changed to "blue" Mavics. Retro Blue(mels) are a bit cut 'n' shut after being on about 6 bikes but replacement ones are thin on the ground.

Think it will probably stay s/s rather than fixed - tho' it might drift into a 9 speed if I get bored...

Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #2136 on: 07 October, 2009, 04:04:13 pm »
Another dribbler here, unfortunately no scenery though..........

Its my first road bike.

Edit:  thought I'd stick one of the Kona up

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2137 on: 07 October, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »
Just picked this up from the bike shop:

That nasty chainguard is going as soon as I get home. And since I'll be mostly riding it on the road, I'll swap the knobbly cross tyres for Conti GP 4 Seasons (though I'm tempted to try my hand at cyclocross now I have a suitable bike). And I'll probably fit mudguards too.

It's a lovely ride, though. Very nimble. It's alu but hardly feels any heavier than my all-carbon road bike. Can't wait to go for a proper ride on it.  ;D :thumbsup:

Details:

Wheelnut-spanner-cum-bottle-opener! Great touch!

You probably can't see it clearly in this pic (flash doesn't work on my camphone) but the rear hub appears to be a singlespeed-specific freehub, rather than a screw-on freewheel. I never knew such things even existed! It does mean I won't be able to convert it to fixed should I get the urge, but that does give me an excuse to buy a nice spare rear wheel with a flipflop hub.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2138 on: 07 October, 2009, 06:11:33 pm »
I wonder WHY they would spec it so that a free single speed ONLY? Most such ready-mades come with a fixed/free threaded hub, altho' I know quite a few come with only a freewheel fitted (which I rather suspect is so that litigation can be avoided in the case of damaged newcomers to fixed!).

It's very pretty though.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

citoyen

« Reply #2139 on: 07 October, 2009, 07:15:15 pm »
I wonder WHY they would spec it so that a free single speed ONLY? Most such ready-mades come with a fixed/free threaded hub

Felt also do a bike called the Dispatch which looks quite similar but comes with a flipflop hub. I guess it's because the bikes are targeted at slightly different markets, the Breed being ostensibly a CycloX bike rather than a fakenger-mobile. I'd like to try it as a fixie at some point, but it's not a priority.

It's very pretty though.

Yes, I thought so - pretty enough to make me think it was worth spending rather more than the price of a Spesh Tricross, in fact. Sucker that I am.

d.

« Reply #2140 on: 07 October, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »
I like that FELT.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Zoidburg

« Reply #2141 on: 07 October, 2009, 08:01:12 pm »
If I was only going to be dipping a toe in cross I would get the Tricross, the thought of sticking a rather expensive bit of kit in a ditch and ripping the head tube off would make me a bit lairy.

Ride it like you stole it but just remember that the pro riders get a new one for free if they bork the existing one, you don't.

The Felt is nice though. :P

citoyen

« Reply #2142 on: 07 October, 2009, 11:12:32 pm »
If I was only going to be dipping a toe in cross I would get the Tricross, the thought of sticking a rather expensive bit of kit in a ditch and ripping the head tube off would make me a bit lairy.

It was very much a heart purchase. I knew it had to be mine as soon as I saw it. Plus they didn't have any of the 2009 Tricross left in my size, which made it an easier decision.

Ride it like you stole it but just remember that the pro riders get a new one for free if they bork the existing one, you don't.

Yeah, I couldn't afford to replace it in a hurry, so I won't be pushing it too hard if I do take it properly off-road. But because it feels like a grown-up's version of a BMX, it's hard to resist bunny-hopping over kerbs and the like. It's a FUN bike.

d.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #2143 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:14:28 am »

My new toy , originally fancied a cr1 but the frame on this bike is just gorgeous , 105 triple throughout . Still getting used to Shimano hence the odd bar position . This is easily the stiffest bike I've ever ridden , superb build quality and finish . Chuffed to bits  ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #2144 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:06:28 am »

My new toy , originally fancied a cr1 but the frame on this bike is just gorgeous , 105 triple throughout . Still getting used to Shimano hence the odd bar position . This is easily the stiffest bike I've ever ridden , superb build quality and finish . Chuffed to bits  ;D

Finch,

Please excuse me whilst I drool!

That is a lovely 'Dale :thumbsup:

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2145 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:54:29 am »
This is one of my contenders for the cycle to work scheme, if I can find a Cannondale dealer on cyclescheme nearby.

Although I'd quite like a capo too, they seem as rare as hen's teeth. What does it tip the scales at?

citoyen

« Reply #2146 on: 09 October, 2009, 09:58:32 am »
Finch, that is a very nice looking bike. I love the understated colour scheme.

d.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #2147 on: 09 October, 2009, 10:40:21 am »
I think it's about 18lb it's lighter than the pinarello paris and the specialized tarmac e5

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2148 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:00:38 pm »
I don't like to criticise people's bikes, but this damn epidemic of drop bars with the bottom section parallel to the downtube (the downtube FFS!) coupled with fugly oversized Shimano levers pointing up like a cowboy's six-shooters is just plain wrong.  :hand:

Apart from that, nice bike finch.  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2149 on: 09 October, 2009, 12:04:36 pm »
Don't care where my bar ends point, but the tops have to be horizontal for me.
Getting there...