Author Topic: Chain's a bit slack (...again)  (Read 7673 times)

Chain's a bit slack (...again)
« on: 23 May, 2013, 07:53:35 pm »
So far have been going to my LBS for fitting of new chains, however it's happening regularly, for cost reasons and for reasons of me needing to become a better mechanic, that is going to change.

I seem to wear out chains every 500 - 1000 miles, do own and use a chain wear checker tool.

Please can I have recommendation of a good online source of chains for fixed (cheap, but good quality is most important), and any little fitting tips? I know I know, it's simple once you do it I'm sure, I just need a chain breaker and half a brain......

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Chain's a bit slack (...again)
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2013, 07:59:34 pm »
No way a fixed chain should last less than 1000 miles.

Even my super-narrow 10 speed chains that I abuse on the audax bike in all weathers last 4-6000km before reaching .75%

Haven't recorded my chain life on the fixed - it has had 1 new chain in 2.5 years. I ride it around 4-5000km a year of commuting and show it no love at all.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2013, 08:06:19 pm »
I know, it's not enough for my liking. I'm 80kg and spend a bit of time going uphill, that will stretch chains more quickly I suppose.

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2013, 08:11:45 pm »
Are you running your chain very tight?

Have you got a shit chain line? Have a look at where the teeth of the chainring are in the chain. Are they central?

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2013, 08:43:01 pm »
Chain tight - no cos I know not to do that, bad for the hub etc.

Chain line - teeth appear to be in the middle, not touching one side or the other of chain.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2013, 08:46:49 pm »
Hmmm... what chains are you using?

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2013, 08:51:14 pm »
KMC innit

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2013, 09:01:16 pm »
More hmmmmmmm....

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2013, 09:04:06 pm »
Thighs like Chris Hoy?

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2013, 09:06:53 pm »
I mean you'd expect a shorter life than a geared chain, but 500 miles??

A thousand miles isn't that bad mind.

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2013, 09:25:10 pm »
Thighs like Chris Hoy?

Sadly nay.

Guessing between 500 - 1000, never logged it properly.

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2013, 09:59:51 pm »
I find that chain wear depends on weather.
I was wearing out a chain every 4-500 miles when I rode the 700km rides last Christmas. I was using KMC then too. They last a lot longer in summer, but we don't have that anymore. :'(

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2013, 11:29:28 pm »
I mean you'd expect a shorter life than a geared chain, but 500 miles??

A thousand miles isn't that bad mind.

Sorry if I am being dumb - but why a shorter life than a geared chain?

I thought you'd get more miles out of a chain that is thicker and doesn't have to bend all over the place to change gears etc.?

I know there is more tension being applied to a fixed chain climbing etc., but still thought you would get decent life out of a fixed chain.

I have never measured chain life on the fixed as I said, but my gut feel is I get at least the same, if not more out of a fixed chain.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #13 on: 24 May, 2013, 06:47:16 am »
Life is tougher for a fixed gear chain. For a start, it never gets a rest on a ride. It also gets more torque put through it.

« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2013, 09:33:48 am »
On the original point, anybody use anything they feel superior to KMC chain, or is it all much of a muchness? And it's worth me getting some half-links, they seem to be needed sometimes, right?

« Reply #15 on: 24 May, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
I've been using kmc z510. I don't find them long lasting, but at £4 who cares?

« Reply #16 on: 24 May, 2013, 09:53:29 am »
That's cheap. Think I have the same except costs rather more for fitting em etc at LBS. For that sorta price I'll get a job lot of the fellows.

« Reply #17 on: 24 May, 2013, 10:15:49 am »
Try Planet X for cheap chains.

Have you got track dropouts? If so fitting is a piece of piss.

It's only tricky if running a magic gear in vertical dropouts

« Reply #18 on: 24 May, 2013, 10:34:10 am »
Yes track dropouts. I'm sure it'll only take one K & SW to destroy a chain  ::-)

« Reply #19 on: 24 May, 2013, 10:37:24 am »
It's a piece of piss then! Just get a chain breaker and cut new chain to same length as existing one!!!

« Reply #20 on: 24 May, 2013, 11:00:10 am »
Ta....chains being ordered....numpty mechanic hat being slowly removed.....

« Reply #21 on: 24 May, 2013, 11:13:56 am »
The z chains from Planet X usually have an old fashioned joining pin, rather than a magic link.

Do you know how to join it?

« Reply #22 on: 24 May, 2013, 11:16:57 am »
No never done it yet  :-[ I'm sure it's all described in a youtube video, like most things these days.

« Reply #23 on: 24 May, 2013, 11:21:41 am »
You could decide to ignore the chain wear tool and just keep riding.

The cog and ring will wear with the chain - so when things break you'll have to replace the lot. But there shouldn't be other problems other than this. If you are going to be careful, then get 3 chains and rotate them regularly.

Chain wear (IME) isn't as much an issue on fixed as it in on derailleur systems. The big deal on derailleur systems is that you are normally running in one or two sprockets, so if you let the chain wear then those sprockets wear to match and the chain skips on any other sprockets. That's simply not a concern on a fixed.

Really you need to always carry a chain tool and a couple of spare links if you are going to ride fixed. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #24 on: 24 May, 2013, 11:23:22 am »
Just cut the end that doesn't have the pin sticking out and make sure you cut it so the outer plate drops off leaving the inner plate link ready to join the pin end.

Push the pin through carefully and make sure when it is through it is poking out each side the same amount, otherwise you'll have a weak join and a stiff link. M

I'm on holiday for a week now so you are welcome to ride 25 miles north to mine if you need a hand