Author Topic: Chain's a bit slack (...again)  (Read 7664 times)

Re: Chain's a bit slack (...again)
« Reply #50 on: 19 July, 2013, 11:45:58 am »
How did he manage that?  An endless belt (which should be the most reliable) needs a frame that can be broken somewhere between the BB and RH dropout, unless you cheat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpinestars-Cro-Mega-LX-Mountain-Bike-/161062943138?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item25801979a2
He cut the frame put the belt on and then put a bracket on the chainstay.The bike is a charge plug and it seems to work OK.He is having a Enigma framed fixed built up now and intends to do the same.The Enigma is a really pretty bike and he intends taking a hacksaw to it.I will try and put some pictures up next week.
What sort of bracket?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #51 on: 19 July, 2013, 03:47:06 pm »
The Red Star ones are discontinued now, so that will be "New, Old Stock".

I generally use the 108 model, it seems the most widely available.
Thanks!

« Reply #52 on: 21 July, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »
Sorry I got it wrong :-[ had a better look today.What Bill has done is to cut through the horizontal dropouts,thread the belt through.Weld it up and you can hardly see it.The Charge plug is a relatively inexpensive frame to experiment with,but he has found himself a old Mercian that he intends to swop the bits,including the carbon belt.The carbon belt was brought online from the USA and cost about £150.I will try to take some photos or better still invite him to join YACF himself.

« Reply #53 on: 26 July, 2013, 11:49:20 am »
So changing the belt requires hacksawing through the frame?  I have to say that sounds totally nuts.

Gates belts are £150? Seems very high, given that Gates is a huge company making a lot of belts for automotive and industry use.
<i>Marmite slave</i>