Author Topic: Hub options for a 45mm chainline  (Read 4451 times)

Hub options for a 45mm chainline
« on: 10 October, 2014, 06:17:36 pm »
I'm thinking of building a new fixed/fixed wheel to match up with my Sugino RD2 chainset. At the moment I've come up with the following:
  • Continue with the spacers and no lockrings that I have now, on yet another PlanetX
  • Goldtec (pre-2010ish?) - try and source one secondhand?
  • Halo Double Fix-G
Any other suggestions? The Halo hub does look pretty cool, I like the chainline adjustability but does seem like slight overkill.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Chris N

Re: Hub options for a 45mm chainline
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2014, 06:29:24 pm »
Does it have to be a double sided hub? If one cog is enough I'd go for a converted front disc hub and a bolt on cog from velosolo. Or a new bb and a standard 42mm hub.

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2014, 08:56:07 pm »
Does it have to be a double sided hub? If one cog is enough I'd go for a converted front disc hub and a bolt on cog from velosolo. Or a new bb and a standard 42mm hub.

Thanks Chris, the velosolo solution does look pretty good, didn't realise you could space it to 46mm and run it undished, and have always got good service from them. Time to got off my arse and measure my chainline exactly I think. Can always carry another cog loose with me - it's not like I'm trying to win the Fixed Wheel Challenge or anything :)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »
I think phixie would prefer it if you weren't able to swap cogs when you were competing in the FWC anyway.   :)

Besides, winning the FWC is overrated - what you want is to come second.  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2014, 01:05:53 pm »
On-One hub and a longer BB?  I think the hub is built for a 50mm chainline (Hollowtech 2 crank assumed, you see).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2014, 04:39:37 pm »
I'd assumed Ivan wanted a 120mm hub as he was talking about the Halo Fix-g; the standard On One track hub gives a 42mm chain line - it's the 135mm double fixed that has a wider chain line for MTB cranks.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2014, 10:30:53 am »
I think phixie would prefer it if you weren't able to swap cogs when you were competing in the FWC anyway.   :)

Besides, winning the FWC is overrated - what you want is to come second.  ;)

Phixie isn't that fussed about an extra cog.  After all double sided fixed hubs have been used since the year dot.  He might raise an eyebrow, though, if you had a selection of cogs, but chain length would probably restrict the more extreme changes.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2014, 02:47:06 pm »
Phixie isn't that fussed about an extra cog.  After all double sided fixed hubs have been used since the year dot.  He might raise an eyebrow, though, if you had a selection of cogs, but chain length would probably restrict the more extreme changes.

What about if you had some kind of spring loaded device that adjusted for varying chain length :-)

Anyway, I've decided to give the velosolo hub a go (on my 120mm Dolan FXE frame), trying to stay away from fiddling with the BB/chainset setup if I can avoid it. Thanks for the suggestions. Based on the two audaxes I've ridden fixed so far, feel fairly confident about my gear choices, and can always take the old flip flop wheel if struck by indecision.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »

What about if you had some kind of spring loaded device that adjusted for varying chain length :-)

What?

With a parallelogram movable design to enable it to accommodate a wide range of rear cogs?

Moved by a lever-operated cable?

It'll never catch on you know.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »

What?

With a parallelogram movable design to enable it to accommodate a wide range of rear cogs?

Yeah, if you were going to go to all that trouble you might as well stick an engine on

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2014, 10:52:44 pm »

What?

That'd be silly.  Put all the rear cogs bar one inside the shell of the hub, to protect them from the effects of SkogTM and save all the mucking about with spring-loaded wossnames.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2014, 11:06:14 pm »
Can we please give then  their correct name -  sprockets  although once canned as above you can indeed call them cogs.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 04 November, 2014, 08:38:38 pm »
No you can't, they're suns, planets and annuluses.  Or annuli.  Or gear rings.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.