Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126496 times)

I thought the classic one was chess?  ;D Okay, rules, competition and some sort of physical exertion.

Rules, competition, and an element of skill (i.e. you can't compete just by someone more experienced telling you what to do, like chess).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
you forgot poetry
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I thought the classic one was chess?  ;D Okay, rules, competition and some sort of physical exertion.

Rules, competition, and an element of skill (i.e. you can't compete just by someone more experienced telling you what to do, like chess).
So tiddlywinks, darts, etc are back in!

you forgot poetry
I think there's a new form of cycling in this. It's a track event during which the riders declaim poetry which gives allegorical/metaphorical instructions to their team mates in the centre moving the chess pieces.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Town Planning?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Town Planning?

Is a sport required to have a winner?  If so, I don't think Town Planning qualifies, especially at professional level.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Town Planning?

Is a sport required to have a winner?  If so, I don't think Town Planning qualifies, especially at professional level.

https://www.planetizen.com/node/87885/going-gold-when-town-planning-was-olympic-competition
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

"Along with town planning, the lineup of events also included painting, sculpture, literature and music. Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Games, believed art and architecture were a vital component for his vision of the Olympics. The first four decades of the modern Olympic Games saw runners and swimmers competing alongside authors and urban planners."
The Baron sounds like a Renaissance man. Perhaps to bring the Games up to date we could have medals for something like hedge fund management?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
I can see the evolution skiing to snowboarding, but to skateboaring?

ICBW. My branes tell me that skateboarding went 'mainstream'* around 1978. I was not aware of snowboarding until much later. So snowboarding is skateboards on ice/snow and skatebaording is roller skates on planks, hence the suggested evolution.

*It was in Sunday colour supplements and on TV - World of Sport on a Saturday with Dickie Davies - 'Nationwide' even staged a national championship so that characterless, disappointed, dismal people could complain about 'stupid' clothing and 'stupid' haircuts whilst Sue Lawley simpered at the camera and Frank Bough was having BDSM fantasies.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

An impressive amount of work must have gone in the giant banner unfurled by FC Basel's fans yesterday.
https://youtu.be/rPdFrN1o02g

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I was checking some football results to see how Southend got on on Tuesday (I was sure they were playing as there were lots of people milling around just at the time Jan and I were off to choir, but couldn't find a result) when I randomly stumbled across two results that caught the eye: Man City 7 - 0 Rotherham, and Man City 9 - 0  Burton Albion.

I wonder when the last time was that a team scored 16 goals without reply in two matches in 4 days?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
st custards' U-10s once won their first two games of the season 9-0 and 21-0.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I should have added "a top level side". Burton & Rotherham have both been respectably good sides in recent years.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Burton's highest finish so far has been 20th in the second tier.  Rotherham once finished 3rd in the second tier but that was closer to the formation of organised football than to the present day.  I think the fact that Manchester City's scores look so remarkable is partly down to the fact that most top teams faced with "lesser" opposition tend to field an experimental side, expecting to win anyway.  (This came gloriously and satisfyingly unstuck for Liverpool and
Leicester recently - so much for "genius" managers.)  Manchester City did not play be the rules, I think, deeming it not to be cricket.  I'm old-fashioned enough to think it is thoroughly ungentlemany to beat a team from a lower division by a rugby score (or in Durham's case, a cricket score).

The Spine Race is a 268mile ultra marathon run along the Pennine Way south to north in January.

This year's race was won yesterday evening by Jasmin Paris, who took about 12 hours off the old course record (in what were good weather conditions). The man who was in second place was a previous winner and would have also broken the old record had he not DNFed 6km from the finish. The actual 2nd place finisher was the previous course record holder.

Jasmin was expressing breast milk for her baby at the checkpoints. (I think the baby is about a year old).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/17/jasmin-paris-first-woman-win-gruelling-286-mile-montane-spice-race-ultrarunning

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
^ that is a clear definition of a nutter, the the best way possible. :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

I wonder when the last time was that a team scored 16 goals without reply in two matches in 4 days?

Back in 2001, Australia beat Tonga 22 nill. Two days later they beat American Samoa 31 nill.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

essexian

If you are looking for teams which have conceded a lot of goals this year, then look no further than Florence FC from the Staffordshire County Premier

http://www.staffordshirecsl.co.uk/TeamFixtures?age=22&division=21196&team=209799

That's 110 goals conceded in their last six matches with none scored.

IMHO Florence should have been relegated last season after they finished bottom but the league failed to do. However, I would vote them team of the year as they have turned up and tried their best at all the matches they have placed this season.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Hmm I might go a support them, they clearly have the same level of interest in sportsball as me. Go to the park, have a natter and a laugh with mates, if there is a ball just kick it about in a meandering way and when you get tired of that, head to the pub for a few.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Hmm I might go a support them, they clearly have the same level of interest in sportsball as me. Go to the park, have a natter and a laugh with mates, if there is a ball just kick it about in a meandering way and when you get tired of that, head to the pub for a few.

There are plenty of YouTube channels documenting the shitness of Sunday league football teams, should you wish to watch. The players turn up half cut, massively hungover or just dog tired after being up all night tending to their kids. They then go on to play and just generally kick the fuck out of the opposition. All very amusing  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

If you are looking for teams which have conceded a lot of goals this year, then look no further than Florence FC from the Staffordshire County Premier

http://www.staffordshirecsl.co.uk/TeamFixtures?age=22&division=21196&team=209799

That's 110 goals conceded in their last six matches with none scored.

IMHO Florence should have been relegated last season after they finished bottom but the league failed to do. However, I would vote them team of the year as they have turned up and tried their best at all the matches they have placed this season.

Best result of the season so far - match postponed!  They'll be celebrating in the old town tonight.....

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Some of you may recall my status as a supporter of the Cleveland Browns (US football) - a team with a rather poor record these last few decades.

Today I learned I'm in august company - Friedrich Nietzsche is a Fan of the Cleveland Browns.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
If that's true, God really is dead!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Some of you may recall my status as a supporter of the Cleveland Browns (US football) - a team with a rather poor record these last few decades.

Today I learned I'm in august company - Friedrich Nietzsche is a Fan of the Cleveland Browns.

Firstly they weren't bottom of their division this year - Major Progress
Secondly they very nearly broke 50% this year compared to last year this was very major progress.
Third if they can keep their hands on Mayfield (and him healthy) and recruit wisely around him this progress may actually be sustained for the next few years.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re-read after spending a lifetime as a supporter. ;)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: