Author Topic: nice places in France, suggestions needed  (Read 2028 times)

nice places in France, suggestions needed
« on: 20 September, 2008, 11:21:44 am »
Considering a trip next year which involves driving to Barcelona probly over 2 days with one stop somewhere, then spending 7-10 days meandering back , driving 3 hours early then stopping somehwere nice, having a pootle on the bikes ( which we'll be taking with us) and general eating and sightseeing.

Looking for suggestions of excellent towns / hotels / eateries between Barcelona and Calais (which probably leaves a lot of choice ;D)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: nice places in France
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2008, 11:24:34 am »
Nice?

;D IGMC....
Pen Pusher

Re: nice places in France, suggestions needed
« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2008, 01:16:28 pm »
Clermont Ferand is a good place to stop for that trip. If you set of from Calais at about 9am you would get there for about 4.00pm normally. At that point you have got the boring bit of driving to the south done and the next day you will have the lovely drive over the central massif and Millau Bridge etc. The Novatel just off the motorway is nice and if you book early you can get a good deal. If you stay two days then the area around it is lovely too.
That where we always stop on the way to the Langaudoc. Barcelona is not too much further.
If you really want to push it in one day then I would suggest Pezennas a lovely little town with a beautiful historic centre full of nice resteraunts and cafes and cobbled streets. Again it's just off the motorway so it wouldn't be a big diversion.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

gonzo

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2008, 01:34:24 pm »
If it's in Jan or Feb, give me a PM; I'll be 50 miles north of Spain and can put you up for the night!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2008, 05:57:58 pm »
Just had a week in the Limousin. Empty roads, warm but not too hot. Nice peeps.

I'd recommend St. Germain-les-Belles (Jct 42 A20) or Chateauneuf-la-Foret which has a beautiful lake or the area around Linards or Eyejaux.

I didn't want to come back  :P

luv'n'stuff

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2008, 07:57:43 pm »
Maybe a little off of the direct route, but La Rochelle, Les Sables d'Ollone, Noirmoutier, Dinan, Bayeux and Honfleur are all worth a visit.

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2008, 08:52:42 pm »
You can do worse than to use the list of 'Plus Beau Villages' as a route guide. Basically an official list of France's nicest towns/villages.

Here's a starter (but there are many other web sites)

Beautiful Villages

If you like wine and stunning villages then I highly recommend St Emillion.  I was there this year (again), it's just beautiful, plus beau in fact (and an easy diversion on your way back)

30 minutes after taking this photo I was eating lunch at that very spot (and I recommend you do the same)

« Reply #7 on: 21 September, 2008, 02:33:11 pm »
Clermont Ferand is a good place to stop for that trip.

Good call :thumbsup:  that looks just about perfect

Beautiful Villages

If you like wine and stunning villages then I highly recommend St Emillion. 

Thanks, web site has lots of places that can be on the way back

I'd recommend St. Germain-les-Belles (Jct 42 A20) or Chateauneuf-la-Foret which has a beautiful lake or the area around Linards or Eyejaux.

These look good too :thumbsup:

If it's in Jan or Feb, give me a PM; I'll be 50 miles north of Spain and can put you up for the night!

Thanks for the offer but we're going when its warm ;D

Nice?

;D IGMC....

I would if I were you ;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2008, 06:26:50 pm »
Chateauneuf-la-Foret has the advantage of a huge campsite adjacent to the lake, excellent parking and Champion Supermarche:thumbsup:

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.