Author Topic: Is Bikehike dead? What to use instead?  (Read 4809 times)

Is Bikehike dead? What to use instead?
« on: 27 August, 2018, 06:15:08 pm »
After appearing pretty ropey on Macs for a while, Bikehike now appears to have given up the ghost on Windows devices too. Any insight into whether this is temporary or permanent?

In the meantime - or maybe forever - what’s the best alternative for users of low technical competence (eg. me)?
Eddington Number = 132

Re: Is Bikehike dead? What to use instead?
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2018, 06:21:58 pm »
It is still sort of usable but the detail in the Google maps bit is greyed out and it has a 'For development purposes only' watermark.

I have recently seen similar on other sites so suspect that Google have changed something.  Hopefully Bikehike/Google will sort themselves out soon and normality will resume.

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2018, 06:32:53 pm »
Fingers crossed.

« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2018, 08:09:22 pm »
www.gpxeditor.co.uk has pretty much taken over my bikehike usage.

OS maps were the major thing that bikehike gave me that hardly anywhere else did, and gpxeditor.co.uk gives me them.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2018, 08:14:05 pm »
I first noticed that Googlemaps message on a bus timetable in Yorks a week or two ago. I tried Bikehike today with a similar message. it still works for plotting routes.

The puzzling bit is that you used to be able to chose Open Cycle Maps, Google maps or an aerial view for the left-hand map window, but that option seems to have disappeared.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2018, 08:30:14 pm »
The standard options are still there fleetingly before the Google greyness descends upon the land.

« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2018, 09:30:17 pm »
Google have started to charge commercial sites using their maps, so I'd guess this is the result.

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2018, 09:34:05 pm »
ridewithgps

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2018, 02:40:08 pm »
ridewithgps

I was a fan, but they have just removed a basic useful feature "add POI" (point of interest I think) from the freebie version and it's $80/year for premium...should I cough up or is there another good freebie out there I should try?

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »
I use https://www.gpsies.com

Free but I sent a voluntary contribution to the German guy that runs it.

« Reply #10 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:17:01 pm »
Antone tried Plotaroute? CAme across them when looking for a gpx of a local ride.

https://www.plotaroute.com/
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 06 September, 2018, 09:08:06 pm »
Bing maps has an Ordnance Survey view - it only works in the UK but allows browsable O/S maps that igve both 1:50000 and 1:25000 formats as you zoom in.  I've not used it for GPS but I have used it to check route planning, especially when Google proposes a route which turns out to be an unhikeable bridlepath which would give Danny MacAskill a challenge.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2018, 09:22:31 pm »
i use it much the same, just subscribed to an annual OS maps on my tablet (also other devices as well),  none is ideal, as they all have quirks for route plotting.  Best i have found is mapmyride for plotting routes and producing gpx files, while flipping to bing maps or OS maps for the detail - no OS maps on map my ride for some reason
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:40:41 pm »
I use the cycle travel website. It works pretty well and easily exports GPX in various route formats as needed by the device.

https://cycle.travel/
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #14 on: 07 September, 2018, 06:10:29 pm »
If you click on the OSM Cycle link quickly enough you get those maps not the Google greyed out one. It's really quick though. Also, the search facility is now broken. :(

Bikehike is my favourite route plotter and I'm used to the feel of its climbing figures so I hope it is fixed
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #15 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:28:07 am »
Bikehike's homepage now says:

Sept 2018:  Google Usage Changes
As you may be aware, Google has changed its usage model and is now charging for its services (with a free USD200 credit per month). This site generates enough traffic that the costs would be significant and not sustainable. Therefore, I'm planning to move to predominantly using OSM maps.
At the moment there's a temporary fix to default to OSM maps - more changes to come.

I had to jibble Ghostery to see the OSM map (Safari on Mac) but it now shows that & the OS map.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:41:29 am »
The OSM maps are a bit overwhelming visually (at least initially - hopefully just a ‘shock of the new’ thing). Any known upsides or downsides vs the old Google maps?
Eddington Number = 132

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 09 September, 2018, 08:47:23 am »
The OS Maps are the good feature
Google maps is handy for comparing with other google maps

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2018, 12:54:30 pm »
Just tried Bikehike and it loaded OSM straight away, so looks like it has been fixed.

I use the cycle travel website. It works pretty well and easily exports GPX in various route formats as needed by the device.

https://cycle.travel/

I discovered this one whilst Bikehike was "down" and it seems to have worked a treat for planning a trip in the Netherlands. I know some stretches of the route quite well, so I know it has routed on the correct cycle paths which google maps did not! I will probably continue to use this for some purposes.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:59:13 pm »
I just tried Bikehike and it loaded OSM straight away, but it still says "google" in the bottom left hand corner!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.