Author Topic: Treating sunburn  (Read 5998 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Treating sunburn
« on: 27 July, 2010, 09:58:56 am »
I don't really do sunshine - I head for the shade at the first sign of a bit of the stuff, as I have the kind of skin that goes pink after about 5 minutes.  So I actually can't remember the last time I got properly sunburnt.  However, I got it very wrong on the way home after the Dun Run and am now spectacularly lobster like.

I've been (very tentatively!) slapping on gallons of aftersun lotion, and a lot of it is starting to fade a bit, but it is gradually developing a few fairly impressively blister-y patches several centimetres across on the back of both shoulders and in a stripe right across my back - basically the bits that haven't seen sun in many years, which you can tell because they are't freckle-y!

Other than slapping on the aftersun, is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing?

Re: Treating sunburn
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2010, 10:00:30 am »
Lavender oil on the blistered bits.

Aftersun lotion on the rest.

Tell yourself not be so stupid next time  ;)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2010, 11:48:30 am »
If skin is dry, for the not-blistered parts: Vaseline Intensive Rescue.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2010, 12:08:47 pm »
Aloe i was told but i have never blistered.

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »
Yeah, get an Aloe Vera plant.

Break off a couple of leaves and bung em in the fridge. Leave for a couple of hours. Retrieve from fridge - break open leaves and get careful assistant to ease in Aloe juice to affected area, v v gently. Ahhh.... bliss...

Ever stuck a red hot iron bar in a bucket of cold water? The effect/sound/sensation is very similar  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »
I'm most certainly no medic - but if you have blisters why not go to the doctor?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2010, 12:48:37 pm »
Blisters?  Consult a doctor.

Otherwise just lots of moisturiser/after sun.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »
Sunburn needs to be treated like a thermal burn.
If the skin is just red, then after sun lotion is fine.
If there is blistering, then proessional advice is needed.
Some will treat by exposure, others will dress the bisters, which some may deroof.

Get better soon!

Burnt skin is less resistant to UV than unburnt skin, so use an effective sunblock, or keep cllothed, when out for at least the next 12 months.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:13:02 pm »
deroof.

Word of the day!

Burnt skin is less resistant to UV than unburnt skin, so use an effective sunblock, or keep cllothed, when out for at least the next 12 months.

Is that why all my fresh scars tan so deeply?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:14:05 pm »
Yeah, get an Aloe Vera plant.

Break off a couple of leaves and bung em in the fridge. Leave for a couple of hours. Retrieve from fridge - break open leaves and get careful assistant to ease in Aloe juice to affected area, v v gently. Ahhh.... bliss...

Ever stuck a red hot iron bar in a bucket of cold water? The effect/sound/sensation is very similar  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: agree to the feeling and the sound

« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:16:41 pm »
Sunburn needs to be treated like a thermal burn.
If the skin is just red, then after sun lotion is fine.
If there is blistering, then proessional advice is needed.
Some will treat by exposure, others will dress the bisters, which some may deroof.

Get better soon!

Yep; see my posts yesterday. Do consult. When it happened to me (while diving in shallow waters in Northern Africa) I was prescribed some protective balm used in radiotherapy. Then I also dressed the blister and did not expose myself for a long while after that.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:19:43 pm »
deroof.

Word of the day!

Is that why all my fresh scars tan so deeply?

Possibly.
Trauma does affect melanocytes in different ways.
CL is really best keeping out of the sun permanently and knows tthis but got overtaken by events.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:36:24 pm »
Crikey, I'm really surprised that a trip to the doc is advised for sunburn!  Mind, as I say, I've never had it beyond getting a bit pink on occasion because I don't seek the sun out at all and am usually quite good about remembering the factor 50.  Which I had in my bag, but just didn't think to put on after my splash and before riding to the station.  Because I am a dimwit.

Well, ever one to do what I'm told (honest) I've called the GP who will call me back for a telephone consult, and will tell me if they want me to go in and get it looked at.

« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »
I see sudocrem now have tv adverts proclaiming it's good for sun burn. Is there nothing that wonderful grey pot can't do?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:07:02 pm »
Well, my doc says DON'T POP THEM, keep slapping on the aftersun, plenty of fluids, no sun exposure, yes I am going to lose the top layer of skin and no, I'm not allowed to go swimming until it has healed up. 

Which is actually a complete bummer, as I really wanted to go to aquafit tonight, and have missed the last two of my expensive Wednesday night swimming lessons because I was revoltingly ill and will now miss tomorrow's too :(

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:15:09 pm »
Tegaderm.

Then you can swim.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #16 on: 27 July, 2010, 05:34:52 pm »
I burned badly like that once, in Rhodes...it was the summer of the heatwave where lots of people died in Greece, and the sun got through my suncream with the greatest of ease (I'm never using that brand again). Had water blisters everywhere, all joined up, and saw a pharmacist who gave me some cream.

These days I am obsessive about suncream as I have skin like you, but it's still easy to get caught out on the odd occasion when events overtake.

I use a product called 'Afterburn' which is not with the normal aftersuns, it is with the Savlon/Germolene and the like in Superdrug. It is rather spendy (about £8 a tube) but worth it as it does help, esp if you put it in the fridge. It's a clear gel and it really cooling and good for reducing the redness.

Feel better soon!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 28 July, 2010, 01:13:01 am »
Gaffer tape and/or cable ties.  (Why yes, my brain is still in DunRun mode...)   ;)

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 28 July, 2010, 06:37:06 am »
Gaffer tape + deroofing blisters =  :o

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 28 July, 2010, 09:11:39 am »
Carrying on with the home remedies/preventatives, coconut oil, or what you're more likely to have in the house, olive oil. You can also put it in your hair overnight, rinse out the next morning, and it will leave a protective effect against sunstroke (or at least, against your head overheating!). This is common practice in India, where they have quite a bit of sun.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.