Author Topic: Cramp injury...  (Read 1429 times)

Cramp injury...
« on: 27 April, 2015, 01:55:29 pm »
I seem to have pulled something in my upper calf muscle, as a result of a cramp (5-10secs of agony) I had when waking up early Sat am.    I've had cramps like this before, but not with a lingering effect.  Has interrupted my cycle commuting...  Anyone else had this?    Just rest it a tad I guess.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Cramp injury...
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »
Severe cramps can often leave you feeling a bit sore and/or stiff for a day or two.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2015, 02:05:06 pm »
Cramps can tear muscles - I've had them in my back bad enough that they tore many of the major muscles - mega pain.

If someone invents a preventative cure for cramp, they will make a fortune.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2015, 02:05:43 pm »
Amen to that!

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2015, 02:44:49 pm »
Once had a bad cramp while "imprisoned" by the "safety" sides of a YHA top bunk, unable to get up and apply my usual 5 minutes of agonised stretching-on-the-spot. It left a painful swollen area next day, but I was surprised to still be able to ride, rather slowly, next day - it subsided in a couple of days, no bad after effects.

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:26:45 pm »
Still have a bit of a hobble going on - upper calf muscle feels quite tender if I press it.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2015, 10:50:03 pm »
I have had lots of probs with this and blood tests which dont prove that anything is amiss. ( but note bill) . Doctor got rid of me by telling me we dont know what causes cramp. Mid night cramp when in mummy bag in small tent is awful.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2015, 09:58:22 pm »
I have this problem from time to time. Always with the calf.  Usually I manage to get out of bed and stretch it before it does any damage but I have had a mild strain that's lasted a week or two once or twice.  Cue looking silly round the office doing calf stretches 10 times a day until it gets better.  Haven't tried to see the GP about it but will try to remember to ask about it at my annual medical in the summer.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:55:36 am »
Before and during sustained exercise,, Nuun tablets in drink.

After exercise. 2 g per 100 km of table salt washed down with COLD flat coke or similar drink.

After shower. http://www.globetrekker.com.au/first-aid/components-and-parts/cramp-solv-25ml-spray-simply-the-best-product-to-stop-most-cramps-quickly/
Spray some into palm of hand and then massage on legs. Repeat until tingly sensation is felt.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2015, 11:07:40 am »
Had something like this 10 days ago in muscles on lower left of back. Stiffness and mild pain for 24 hours, then it went away when I rode.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 12 May, 2015, 11:18:09 am »
That sounds like exactly the spot that I tore my calf muscle last August - where the gastrocnemius muscle begins to swell above the Achilles tendon. I tore the left calf muscle but I occasionally get a matching cramp on the right leg, which is very panic-making. It is possible that you have a minor tear as a result of cramp.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.