Author Topic: Pompinos on Sale - some questions  (Read 27667 times)

Re: Pompinos on Sale - some questions
« Reply #100 on: 15 December, 2010, 11:48:57 pm »
Definitely couldn't put mine together for £400. Still haven't found time to build the wheels and the bike yet. Maybe I should have bought it complete >:(

I am in the same boat but at least you can pick your own spec if building it.

« Reply #101 on: 16 December, 2010, 12:28:02 am »
That's what I'm telling myself. I did enjoy choosing the parts I wanted, and I will enjoy building it. It's just that one aim was a bike that could take the winter tyres that I have put by and, as I have said before, the snow will probably have gone by the time I get it put together...

got

« Reply #102 on: 29 December, 2010, 10:23:24 pm »
have already put an order in for a pompino as a belated christmas present to myself and am only coming across this forum now!

having no technical knowledge whatsoever, i was just wondering if there's much playing around to do initially to get it set up properly?

any tips appreciated!

have searched other forums for a consensus on mudguards- are most of you using full sks and drilling them to fit into the wishbone bit? (and are these the chromoplastic sks or the blumels?)

« Reply #103 on: 29 December, 2010, 11:00:56 pm »
have already put an order in for a pompino as a belated christmas present to myself and am only coming across this forum now!

having no technical knowledge whatsoever, i was just wondering if there's much playing around to do initially to get it set up properly?

any tips appreciated!

have searched other forums for a consensus on mudguards- are most of you using full sks and drilling them to fit into the wishbone bit? (and are these the chromoplastic sks or the blumels?)

chromoplastic sks are the ones you need, easy to fit.

got

« Reply #104 on: 31 December, 2010, 11:25:55 am »
lovely looking bike gene, looking forward to getting mine now!

how did you find fitting the chromoplastics? how do they fit onto the frame (at the crown-if that's the correct term). did you drill though the guard and screw it in or just use cable ties?

what can i expect to have to do when i take delivery of the bow too?!

sorry for the inane questions!

LindaG

« Reply #105 on: 31 December, 2010, 11:32:59 am »
I fitted SKS guards to mine, and used the drill/screw method.  I'm a total fettling numpty and still managed ok.

« Reply #106 on: 31 December, 2010, 01:11:32 pm »
I've just fitted SKS by drilling as well. I actually used a sharp scissor point - didn't even bother to get the drill out.

got

« Reply #107 on: 31 December, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »
I've just fitted SKS by drilling as well. I actually used a sharp scissor point - didn't even bother to get the drill out.

sorry about this now, but did you just use the screw provided with the sks to screw it into the frame or did you buy a wee bolt? will prob order the sks to have them on hand for when the bike arrives to put em straight on.

that's provided i can put them on, dopey and all as i am.

any tips on adjustments to the bike when it arrives? been looking at cantilever brake adjustment on sheldon brown but going a bit over my head, so hopefully can manage it. what can i expect to have to put together when bike arrives?

thanks guys!

« Reply #108 on: 31 December, 2010, 07:33:51 pm »
lovely looking bike gene, looking forward to getting mine now!

how did you find fitting the chromoplastics? how do they fit onto the frame (at the crown-if that's the correct term). did you drill though the guard and screw it in or just use cable ties?

what can i expect to have to do when i take delivery of the bow too?!

sorry for the inane questions!

Drilled the guard, much neater did the same on the Kaffenback as well, the shorter bolt they supply with the mudguards will be ok.

I built it from a frame so adjustments were as I went etc, running v brakes on mine.

« Reply #109 on: 31 December, 2010, 07:34:01 pm »
I used one of the bottle cage bolts from the Pompino, which was perfect ;D

I was building from a frame, so I don't know about adjustments that are needed to a complete bike as shipped. I've fitted the headset, built the wheels, and fitted all the parts. I'm using V brakes, not cantilevers.

Cantilevers aren't too hard to adjust, but I've been fiddling with bikes for decades. Sorry not to be more help.

« Reply #110 on: 04 January, 2011, 04:36:05 pm »
Not a great shot, but here it is at last:

I'll do a better one when there's some decent light.

LindaG

« Reply #111 on: 04 January, 2011, 04:45:55 pm »
That's really very nice, drossall.  The black and green is very classic-looking, more understated than I would have expected.

I suspect you'll be needing those tyres before the winter's out.

Have you played with it much?

border-rider

« Reply #112 on: 04 January, 2011, 04:49:41 pm »
I do like that green.

wasn't sure about the concept but it looks great in real life.  Much better than the old pale blue.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #113 on: 04 January, 2011, 04:52:24 pm »
I like the old pale blue. No-one else had a similar colour in their range so every time you saw one you knew instantly what it was. (I have a white Pomp BTW).

border-rider

« Reply #114 on: 04 January, 2011, 04:57:35 pm »
True enough.  I've got a c2003 early blue one which I like a lot, it's cheerful, I just think the green is a bit more classy.

When they were rare the blue was a good identifier, as you say.

« Reply #115 on: 04 January, 2011, 05:12:14 pm »
I thought green and black would do an understated look. I even managed to get black spokes (at 97% discount!!!) Should possibly have had a black chainset too, but cost was a factor, and I had the chance to get my preferred Stronglight.

I haven't done more than ride up and down the road yet, but tomorrow I'm back to commuting.

Having clearance for winter tyres is one of the aims of building this. I'll probably run a second set of wheels for better weather.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #116 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:07:12 pm »
Are these marathon snow?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #117 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:10:52 pm »
On mine? They are Marathon Winters.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #118 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:17:08 pm »
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #119 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:29:57 pm »
That's right.

« Reply #120 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:59:37 pm »
Not a great shot, but here it is at last:

I'll do a better one when there's some decent light.

Very nice.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #121 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:40:51 am »
I like the old pale blue. No-one else had a similar colour in their range so every time you saw one you knew instantly what it was. (I have a white Pomp BTW).

I know a chap in USAnia who has a silver one...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime