Author Topic: Pompinos on Sale - some questions  (Read 27662 times)

Sigurd Mudtracker

Re: Pompinos on Sale - some questions
« Reply #25 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:43:06 pm »
On-One say Pompinos have 120mm rear dropouts.  A bit of a stretch to fit in a 135mm Alfine hub, surely?

Otherwise I might be tempted - though you could fit a Sturmey 8 speed hub in there (they do a narrow and a wide one)

« Reply #26 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:45:21 pm »
Praps they have resurrected some in the original 135 rear geometry? A;lways better IMO/E.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Chris S

« Reply #27 on: 11 September, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »
Praps they have resurrected some in the original 135 rear geometry? A;lways better IMO/E.

Dunno about that. My Pomp has 135 OLN, and there are wear marks in the paint where my shoes scuff the stays because they are splayed so much to make that gap.

« Reply #28 on: 12 September, 2010, 01:27:11 am »
It would appear the offer is too good to miss in this house too. The boy is persuading his dad to cough up for one. In white. Bloody child is insisting on a medium though, and I think that's a tad too big for me. Selfish brat.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2010, 09:49:54 am »

Dunno about that. My Pomp has 135 OLN, and there are wear marks in the paint where my shoes scuff the stays because they are splayed so much to make that gap.
I have the same problem with the Inbred.  I put sacrificial vinyl stickers on the RH seatstay to avoid removing the paint.  I think it's the very compact geometry and the wishbone rear end that cause the problem - the stays are in a totally different place to where they would normally be.  Admittedly I am running a 46.5mm chainline when the specified minimum is 50mm, and the cranks have a narrowish Q-factor.  With a HT2 chainset it might not be a problem, but then I couldn't use a Goldtec rear hub.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #30 on: 12 September, 2010, 09:50:49 am »
Well, I pressed the button over the weekend, for a white one in XL size.  Now to wait for delivery......

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #31 on: 12 September, 2010, 02:10:26 pm »
For those who struggle to justify an upgrade, I could do with a second hand pompino!!!  :demon:
Chief cat entertainer.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #32 on: 18 September, 2010, 04:33:41 pm »
Anyone got theirs yet?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #33 on: 18 September, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »
I ended up not ordering one due to my dentist telling me what one tooth is going to cost to sort out :-(
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #34 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »
not yet.  waiting eagerly.....

« Reply #35 on: 19 September, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »
For those who struggle to justify an upgrade, I could do with a second hand pompino!!!  :demon:

I don't know what size you are Panoramix but there's one in the Cycle Chat classifieds section - link here.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #36 on: 19 September, 2010, 09:24:10 pm »
For those who struggle to justify an upgrade, I could do with a second hand pompino!!!  :demon:

I don't know what size you are Panoramix but there's one in the Cycle Chat classifieds section - link here.

Thank you for the tip!

I would think that £275 second hand is on the expensive side?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #37 on: 20 September, 2010, 06:21:39 am »
I would think that £275 second hand is on the expensive side?
Don't really know about that as they're just under £400 new, but it looks in good nick and the seller is trustworthy in my opinion.

Edit: I'm not on commission, no connection.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #38 on: 20 September, 2010, 10:29:31 pm »
Anyone got theirs yet?

Mine's getting built up tomorrow :thumbsup: By On-One, not me, I hasten to add.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #39 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:15:54 am »
They must be busy, as I have got to wait til next Monday for mine to be built...

αdαmsκι

« Reply #40 on: 21 September, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
They must be busy, as I have got to wait til next Monday for mine to be built...

That prompted me to re-read the email from On-One and it turns out mine will be built on Tuesday 28th Sept. :facepalm: :'(.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #41 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:13:34 pm »
I don't even like them*, and I'm tempted!

*Though the current version looks a little different to the one I had. Importantly, the fork looks a bit more flexible. The one on mine was very industrial. It was religious in its commitment to passing on every nook and cranny of the road.

However (and luckily), I'm the wrong shape for these frames.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #42 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:26:13 am »
Well, I pressed the button over the weekend, for a white one in XL size.  Now to wait for delivery......

Just a call from my folks in the UK to say that it has arrived in a great big box. Looks good, apparently, but I'll have to wait another couple of weeks before I get my grubby mitts on it.

For those who are waiting, just to let you know that you may not get any advanced warning from the courier as to when they will turn up.  I had a mail from on-one to say they had dispatched, and the courier would advise on delivery times, but they just turned up.  Fortunately my parents were at home at the time.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #43 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:04:13 pm »

« Reply #44 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:30:42 pm »
Hmmm they do a white one ... I'm tempted  :o
Never ridden a fixie though and wouldn't know what sprocket to choose especially as its hilly round here.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #45 on: 29 September, 2010, 11:39:39 pm »
I'd suggest a 19 tooth sprocket because the Pompino comes with a 48 tooth chainring, so that'd give you a ~68 inch gear (See Sheldon Brown's website for a gear calculator.)

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2010, 12:28:26 am »
Ah nice thanks :)
Would that enable me to get up some lumps without spinning like a demented thing on the downhills?

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:02:31 am »
The Pompino for me would be the caliper brake design with drop handle bars and loads of eyelets for mudguards and stuff, and a 48 x 18 gear, black rims and that light blue frame looks nice with the white bar tape. Though I think I have enough bikes, and money needs spending on the  bikes I have at the moment.
Oh I've not been using my fixed for ages so went out into the heavy traffic for a little commute on the fixed. It was scary ! Need to use the fixed bike more !

αdαmsκι

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2010, 01:09:52 pm »
Would that enable me to get up some lumps without spinning like a demented thing on the downhills?

Should do, yeah. Around 68 to 72 inches is the size that a lot of people seem to use. Unless your name is Teethgrinder. For comparision, I ordered mine with a 18 T cog, which gaves me a 72 inch gear.

« Reply #49 on: 02 October, 2010, 09:23:26 am »
Any road tests? typically I've missed the boat this time round.. :-[ but then it's better than a divorce as there are no funds for n+1 :'(