Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 472358 times)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2125 on: 07 April, 2018, 01:37:59 pm »
Bad luck, associated disease, cold weather, age, hypothyroidism.
Take your pick, wrap up warmly, turn up the heating, have some virtual tea and sympathy.

If symptoms persist, seek medical advice...

I really shouldn't read symptoms.  My parents both in the past have had (different) thyroid problems and there's a long list of symptoms for hypothyroidism, most of which overlaps with things you can also attribute to the menopause.  Plus a couple that I have which can't.

I shall bear this in mind.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2126 on: 07 April, 2018, 01:58:36 pm »
Getting thyroid tests should be easy as they cost the NHS little more than buttons.

Given that you're female and have a family history, it might be worth chasing at some point.

« Reply #2127 on: 11 April, 2018, 11:35:02 am »
Boil on my nose is making me look like a dipsomaniac Rudolph...  >:(  Feeling very taut and hurty - would be feeling quite tempted to lance it if there were any indication of a 'head', but alas...
Jeez, have I really had that boil for a month?  Just clearing up now...  It rather charmingly decided to explode over my face a little while ago and Mrs Legs extricated a gigantic ingrowing hair from the wound which was seemingly causing the problem.
Hello old friend!  Has it only been a month since you left?  Welcome back, make yourself at home, take over my face, why don't you?  :demon:

« Reply #2128 on: 11 April, 2018, 12:34:49 pm »
I've just managed to bonk sitting at my desk, the whole shebang, clammy, shaking, world spinning and going black. I am an idiot.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2129 on: 11 April, 2018, 12:49:36 pm »
I've just managed to bonk sitting at my desk, the whole shebang, clammy, shaking, world spinning and going black. I am an idiot.

NSFW is thataway ---\
                                V

;) ;D

Seriously need to rethink your carbs and riding...

« Reply #2130 on: 11 April, 2018, 01:03:39 pm »
 ;D

I know, it's unusual for me to get to that stage, early tea last night, no evening biscuit, nasty headwind this morning, no brekky, no elevenses. I'm sat next to a drawer full of fruit bars. As I say, idiot.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2131 on: 11 April, 2018, 04:27:09 pm »
Hah. Just did much the same on a ride. As you say, idiot (or as I'd say, eejit). Hey, look at my slogan thingy under the avatar.

Anyway: mentioned to El Prez that last time I complained to doc that after a 100k it took me 3 or 4 days to recover, he replied "you're 71, what do you expect". El Prez replied "my doc's been telling me that since I was 50".

It's far from being a satisfactory reply. Doc needs to address causes instead of bringing out a facile rationalization.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2132 on: 14 April, 2018, 02:13:16 pm »
At my smear yesterday the practice nurse said my cervix is perfect, better than some teenagers'.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2133 on: 14 April, 2018, 04:17:46 pm »
Miss Ham who is (a) a personal trainer and (b) preggers attended an antenatal thingy where the nurse checked her blood etc. Apparently she has the highest iron levels the nurse had seen in a pregnant patient. Not sure why Miss Ham didn't appreciate me pointing out that was obviously because she has been pumping iron.

« Reply #2134 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:58:19 pm »
I went for a gentle run at lunchtime. At halfway my calf felt painful, kind of cramps, but not as tight. Didn’t trip or anything. Took it even gentler on the way back. Still sore to walk now (so I’m not). Bugger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2135 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:36:03 am »
Husband of chum of Mrs T42 caught the flu on holiday in Malta. He already suffers from some incurable condition, which aggravated the flu, so he had to go into hospital there for two weeks. Care and facilities were excellent and he made a good recovery. When they discharged him they told him, though, that he should have another scan within 5 days of getting back to the UK to be sure that all was OK.

When his wife called to make the appointment she was told that he'd go "straight onto the urgent list - about 20 weeks' wait".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2136 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:48:02 pm »
When his wife called to make the appointment she was told that he'd go "straight onto the urgent list - about 20 weeks' wait".

Barakta's been waiting for an MRI to confirm that her deterioration of migraine symptoms isn't due to some scary brain thing.  It's been almost but not quite a year now, and still no sign of it.  On the plus side, we can be reasonably sure that it isn't a fast-growing tumour.

I blame Thatcher.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2137 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:02:18 pm »
I suffered from urticaria from around the ages of 8-18.

It seems to have returned. I don't know what has triggered it. I have a trivial cold - a bit hoarse and little cough.

Previous attacks were triggered by mustard (1/1/1967), rubella (summer 1975) or cause unknown (early 1970s). Phenergan, prescibed when I was little, made me dizzy but I was fine with Piriton, without being noticeably drowsy.

I don't have any antihistamines in the house but might splash out on something new-fangled, introduced long after I ever previously needed antihistamines...

ETA Just read https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/top-allergy-types.pdf and it seems mustard is a well-known allergen. There might well have been some in my ham sandwich on Monday.
D'oh!
There again, I must have had mustard without trouble in the last 50 years...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2138 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:14:07 pm »
Hives, yeah. Had them* a couple of times as a kid. They came and they went, with copious applications of utterly useless calamine lotion.

*why are English diseases always plural?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2139 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:31:05 pm »
Cos one measle is too measly, even for the Brits...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2140 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:14:51 pm »
Hopefully the end of this week, or the end of next week I'll get my biopsy results from my lug.

No, I've not been thinking about it too much...   :facepalm: ::-)

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2141 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:21:57 pm »
Hopefully the end of this week, or the end of next week I'll get my biopsy results from my lug.

No, I've not been thinking about it too much...   :facepalm: ::-)

Got my results back today! (20th April)

According to the letter from the consultant the biopsy came back as showing inflammation only, with no evidence of any cancer in the specimen. The consultant says that he was hopeful that the excision of the abnormality should have settle the problem, (which it has, now the biopsy wound has healed).  As a result no further treatment required.

Quite a relief, although a reminder of being safe in the sun, particularly if you work outdoors all year round.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2142 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:32:51 pm »

Got my results back today! (20th April)

According to the letter from the consultant the biopsy came back as showing inflammation only, with no evidence of any cancer in the specimen. The consultant says that he was hopeful that the excision of the abnormality should have settle the problem, (which it has, now the biopsy wound has healed).  As a result no further treatment required.

Quite a relief, although a reminder of being safe in the sun, particularly if you work outdoors all year round.

Excellent news!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2143 on: 20 April, 2018, 09:49:06 pm »
Good news Brian!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2144 on: 21 April, 2018, 06:53:57 am »
Good news. Now slip, slop, slap

(aussie advert campaign to reduce skin cancer; slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2145 on: 21 April, 2018, 10:20:54 am »
A black spider wandering round in my left eye last night with the odd CGI lightning strike for atmosphere, so that's me crying off today's ride and in to see the ophthalmologist this morning. Examination was a bit ouch but nothing to do with diabetes, says he, but shrinking vitreous humour pulling a bit on the retina. Can I ride my bike? Won't make any difference. On our lousy roads, bouncing downhill at 60 and grinding uphill at 240/70? Won't make any difference. But if the fireworks get any more emphatic or gert black blobs plop into view, hasten himwards soonest else disaster.

So now I'm sitting here with a vastly dilated left eye and swearing into my cuppa 'cos I was looking forward to this particular ride and well, fuckit. All the same I'm relieved, and glad I could get in to see him so swiftly. Good bloke.

« Reply #2146 on: 21 April, 2018, 05:05:08 pm »
Shucks!  Andrew (4.75) and Mrs Legs have got chicken pox.  Mrs Legs grew up in Kenya so never got it as a child.  Andrew is being very good about not picking and scratching.  Mrs Legs has only a few spots but has been feeling lousy for a few days... She's on a course of Aciclovir antivirals now.  Probably only a matter of time until Daniel gets it...

« Reply #2147 on: 24 April, 2018, 08:43:20 am »
Oh noes!  Andrew has got a narsty bacterial infection in two of the pox spots - one on his lower eyelid and one between his nose and other eye. :-[  He's on antibiotics and feeling remarkably chipper, but looks like a mugging victim.  :(

Jo, meanwhile, is giving the lie to the received wisdom about chicken pox in adulthood being especially unpleasant.  I guess she's just been really lucky to have been able to catch it early with the antivirals.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2148 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:28:18 pm »
I hope/presume Mrs Legs is not  'with child'. Chickenpox in pregnancy is potentially disastrous. Good to see she seems OK.

« Reply #2149 on: 24 April, 2018, 12:55:51 pm »
Definitely not!  We tried getting Jo fixed for private inoculation when she was pregnant with Daniel, but it fell through since the treatment can't be given when you're pregnant.  Fortunately it didn't come to pass.