Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476492 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4725 on: 26 January, 2024, 08:21:19 am »
I have phoned hospital. They estimate another month waiting list.
The private physio around here has a 6-month waiting list, and she wouldn't be able to see my x-rays and scans.

I'm taking painkillers before going to bed so I can sleep. That usually lasts me until about 5:00. A.m.

Sounds bloody. Bon courage.

Worth camping out in Emergency?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4726 on: 26 January, 2024, 10:57:35 am »
The private physio around here has a 6-month waiting list, and she wouldn't be able to see my x-rays and scans.

I'm taking painkillers before going to bed so I can sleep. That usually lasts me until about 5:00. A.m.
You can submit a Subject access request to see your medical records and thus share relevant bits with private physio. (it's a data protection thing so you have to get everything held).

currently that's the only way for patients to access their data up here.

which is a total faff.

It might be worth travelling to inverness or Skye for?

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4727 on: 26 January, 2024, 11:01:25 am »

You can submit a Subject access request to see your medical records and thus share relevant bits with private physio. (it's a data protection thing so you have to get everything held).

currently that's the only way for patients to access their data up here.

which is a total faff.

It might be worth travelling to inverness or Skye for?

I doubt skye has better facilities.

Inverness would be a possibility, but not great for regular appointments. Guess I'd have to have a referral.

Might see if I can get the subject access request bit though.

Wish I hadn't listened to MrsC. She said "You pay all this tax for better healthcare, might as well use it, don't go private".
<i>Marmite slave</i>

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #4728 on: 26 January, 2024, 11:09:47 am »
you really pay more tax for better paid healthcare workers.

When you start comparing the differences of services it's mostly just political and health economic trade offs.

When I went to the private physio in Dundee it was 2 days after I called for the appointment, and they did a progress check and exercise tweak once each of the next 3 months.

worth having a look for private physios off either ferry and speak to them about the extra challenge of the distance.

in NHS terms it would be a struggle to argue for another board to have someone look, would probably be Glasgow if you managed it too.

« Reply #4729 on: 26 January, 2024, 11:18:04 am »
you really pay more tax for better paid healthcare workers.

When you start comparing the differences of services it's mostly just political and health economic trade offs.

Can't agree with you there.

Cambridge; 1-2 week wait to see GP, minimum.
York; weeks long wait for delivery of OT equipment
Scotland (western isles); GP same-day video, next day face to face appointments. OT equipment delivered within 48 hours.

Seems it is the physio that is overwhelmed. Consequence of an aging population probably.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4730 on: 26 January, 2024, 11:39:53 am »
And if you manage to get a GP appointment in Cambridge there’s a 3 month waiting list for NHS physio assessment. 

Luckily I could be seen by the physios at work the next day. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4731 on: 26 January, 2024, 12:22:53 pm »
If you are thinking about going privately, I would personally suggest going to either Aberdeen or Glasgow and be seen by a surgeon from the start.  Alternatively go to somebody whilst in York visiting family.

you do not need a referral letter.  They will be able to do an X-ray immediately and theneither do a steroid injection or arrange physio.  At least you will have a definitive diagnosis.  you can continue with the NHS physio at the same time.

There is a clinic in Inverness offering shoulder injections but I have no knowledge of their skill set.

« Reply #4732 on: 26 January, 2024, 12:42:44 pm »
And if you manage to get a GP appointment in Cambridge there’s a 3 month waiting list for NHS physio assessment. 

Not everyone has private physios at work

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4733 on: 26 January, 2024, 01:39:37 pm »

Absolutely - I'm very lucky and have a very supportive employer (our health insurance even covers pre-exisiting conditions).  I still try to use the NHS whenever I can, but our local NHS Trust doesn't make it easy.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #4734 on: 26 January, 2024, 01:58:56 pm »

I can honestly say that I'm currently missing the private health access I had when living and working in Cambridge.

Do I have something life-threatening? No.
Am I in extreme pain? No.

What I have is limiting my day-to-day living. I can't raise my left arm above shoulder height, have restricted range of movement and get interrupted sleep because of pain at night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4735 on: 26 January, 2024, 02:13:17 pm »
I would go to the private clinic in Inverness and get a steroid injection

« Reply #4736 on: 26 January, 2024, 02:46:39 pm »
I would go to the private clinic in Inverness and get a steroid injection

I'm going to wait until I get the xray through (made a subject access request) to see if I can work out why arm doesn't go up.

With effort, if I hook hand onto something, and crouch, I can get it a bit above horizontal, but not far. Doing that forces it into a weird position, like I'm shoving the head of the humerus on top of my shoulder.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4737 on: 27 January, 2024, 12:26:54 am »
You may be turning into barakta.  Is your tea consumption up?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #4738 on: 28 January, 2024, 09:51:20 pm »
Mid December I had a call from my dentist. I have the number saved on my phone and the display said "dentist".
The person on the other end told me I have a hygienist appointment in February (maybe, I couldn't swear to it) and they'd like to take payment upfront. I said it wasn't convenient (my scam-ometer needles were starting to twitch as well) so I declined.

Fast forward to yesterday. Dentist phones again. "As you know we take payment upfront." I told them no I didn't know and I'd never paid upfront from the hygienist before. I got put on hold. After two minutes I got bored so hung up. They tried calling back a few minutes later but I was busy so cut the call. And again, but I was still busy so ignored it. Next thing I had a text message saying they've had to cancel the appointment and could I call to reschedule. I'm not impressed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4739 on: 29 January, 2024, 12:50:16 am »
My partner pays MONTHS in advance for his hygienist, usually when he makes the appointment at the previous visit.
Hid dentist does not take payment upfront.
Perhaps this is common practice.

Hygienist was VERY keen to see D just before lockdown (21 March 2020, when Covid locally was rampant) & was cramming in extra sessions. We declined this arrangement.

I was Not Impressed!

ian

« Reply #4740 on: 29 January, 2024, 06:59:18 pm »
My dentist asks for a deposit. That said, I don't usually bother with the hygienist and let the dentist attack me with his power grinder.

« Reply #4741 on: 29 January, 2024, 07:51:56 pm »
A swollen left foot where the sandle strap passes over. Doctor has given me antibiotics.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4742 on: 29 January, 2024, 10:07:13 pm »
My dentist asks for a deposit. That said, I don't usually bother with the hygienist and let the dentist attack me with his power grinder.

My dentist has asked for a deposit in the past. They don’t any more.

I think the team trust me now. They treat my Mum and treated my (late) Dad.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4743 on: 05 February, 2024, 04:58:44 pm »
Police have been called in for crowd control as a queue has formed outside a premises in Bristol today. What are so many people queuing for: Casting as extras in the latest Bristol-filmed TV spectacular? Chance to have your photo taken with Banksy? Lottery tickets at a shop which sold last week's lucky winner? Sign-on for the hottest audax? No, it's NHS dentistry.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/hundreds-queue-new-bristol-nhs-9078525
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

sam

« Reply #4744 on: 07 February, 2024, 01:07:57 pm »
My wife was horrified to witness me wrap tape around an injured thumb rather than use something more official. Bandages are for the womenfolk of the household, I informed her.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4745 on: 08 February, 2024, 01:55:47 pm »
Felt great yesterday morning, after a day on the bike with no metformin. Nonetheless I took my 3x500g like a good little diabetic.  Result: I've felt like shit warmed up on a shovel since I got up this morning.

« Reply #4746 on: 08 February, 2024, 07:48:32 pm »
I had a fall into our stair cupboard and hit my right eye on a upturned flap of a cardboard box. It hurt and my eye watered for a while but I thought little of it. When I got up this morning painless but reduced,  blurred vison in. It's now a bit worse than the left eye. I went to the opticians today and the eye has definitely got much worse but the opticians could find no damage  ???. So I will have to have the eyes diluted to try and find out what has happened  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4747 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:12:54 pm »
Cardboard box?  An accident worthy of Hananananah the Astrononononomer!

Hope it's merely unpleasant rather than serious...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4748 on: 09 February, 2024, 08:20:49 am »
Good luck!

sam

« Reply #4749 on: 09 February, 2024, 10:03:19 am »
I will have to have the eyes diluted to try and find out what has happened  :'(

'Tis a mere typo I know, but you might want to make sure the optician doesn't actually dilute your eyes. Whatever that involves, it can't be good.