Author Topic: Motorcycles in bus lanes - Evening Standard Poll  (Read 14126 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Motorcycles in bus lanes - Evening Standard Poll
« Reply #50 on: 28 May, 2008, 12:58:49 pm »
Slightly off topic here but still ...

......around here there is also the threat of being terrorised by some teens on scooters who think it great fun to deliberately cut up cyclists and any other road users.

This has happened to me on a number of occasions in a particular area I pass through on my commute.

The buses in bus lanes are dangerous enough without adding these idiots on their " hair driers".

Report the idiots to the police.  They are a danger, and probably have no licence or anything else. 

For people who ride like that the fact that they're not allowed in the bus lane is not likely to make a ha'p'orth of difference.

But we have to do something to stop these people.

« Reply #51 on: 28 May, 2008, 01:15:25 pm »

For people who ride like that the fact that they're not allowed in the bus lane is not likely to make a ha'p'orth of difference.

But we have to do something to stop these people.

I've installed a little button on my handlebars. I haven't found the right device to connect it to yet, but I'm always looking.

The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #52 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:48:41 pm »
I'm broadly in favour; PTWs tend to give cyclists plenty of room.

I've also found that whilst stopped in an ASL, if there is a motorbike next to me, admiring the bike will often lead to them pausing and letting me go first, effectively creating a little barrier for me from the traffic.

Brown-noser?

Me?

O:-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #53 on: 28 May, 2008, 02:50:13 pm »
I'm broadly in favour; PTWs tend to give cyclists plenty of room.

I've also found that whilst stopped in an ASL, if there is a motorbike next to me, admiring the bike will often lead to them pausing and letting me go first, effectively creating a little barrier for me from the traffic.

Brown-noser?  Lawyer?

Me?

O:-)

;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #54 on: 28 May, 2008, 04:25:20 pm »
So the stats apparently show its OK to allow motorcycles in bus lanes, as far as the existing population of cyclists is concerned. What about the effect on numbers of new or potential cyclists, rather than the number of casualties?
I am nothing and should be everything

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #55 on: 28 May, 2008, 04:30:30 pm »
So the stats apparently show its OK to allow motorcycles in bus lanes, as far as the existing population of cyclists is concerned. What about the effect on numbers of new or potential cyclists, rather than the number of casualties?

As I've said before, the stats don't show that it's OK to allow motorcycles in bus lanes.  Assumptions and extrapolations are being made on flimsy, partial evidence due to a poorly designed study.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #56 on: 28 May, 2008, 05:53:58 pm »
As I've said before, the stats don't show that it's OK to allow motorcycles in bus lanes.  Assumptions and extrapolations are being made on flimsy, partial evidence due to a poorly designed study.
I meant that in an off the cuff way, as in "the stats say <blah> about the incidence of collisions"... but I want to know what's the likely effect on levels of cycling? I'd assume it'd deter new cyclists though have no evidence for that, and it could be that any potential increase in cycling is so small that allowing motorcycles has negligible effect.
I am nothing and should be everything