Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945437 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23825 on: 11 February, 2019, 02:40:56 pm »
I read the question differently, as either a measure of social engagement, narcissism, or motivation to recover.

It made me stop and think, I have no partner or children who would be the most societally expected answers. Yet I am close to two siblings and their children. I also have links to two churches and members of those congregations are important to me. Yet I would struggle to identify an important individual.

Aren't we all sons of our own god?  ;)

True, but the answer "myself" to the question just doesn't feel right. Yet in certain circumstances it is entirely reasonable, such as when you need to focus on your own health be that physical or mental.

Guy

• Retired
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23826 on: 11 February, 2019, 03:15:03 pm »
"Myself" is a good answer. You can clarify that answer by explaining "If I wasn't me you'd be talking to somebody else", then sit back and watch their brains melt.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23827 on: 11 February, 2019, 06:43:42 pm »
I'd definitely start with "Me"

Without me I have no "my life"

Now, "significant others" that's a different question adn can vary day to day
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23828 on: 11 February, 2019, 07:35:02 pm »
I definitely wouldn't start with me, but I might well say that there are too many and too variable answers to pick just one. Or that the question sucks.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23829 on: 12 February, 2019, 01:48:28 pm »
Yebbut someone armed with a form and a pen isn't going to take 'the question sucks' for an answer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23830 on: 12 February, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
That depends to an extent on how they view the question and the whole form-filling exercise. It's quite possible that they see it as something that gets in the way of real work.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23831 on: 12 February, 2019, 02:08:00 pm »
I read the question differently, as either a measure of social engagement, narcissism, or motivation to recover.

It made me stop and think, I have no partner or children who would be the most societally expected answers. Yet I am close to two siblings and their children. I also have links to two churches and members of those congregations are important to me. Yet I would struggle to identify an important individual.

On reflection, having considered your thoughts on the matter, and Ham's earlier thoughts, my answer would be:

Kenny Dalglish
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23832 on: 12 February, 2019, 09:43:14 pm »
Phone call from a man stating he was Severn Trent asking for my address. I guess e him my address and then The business address.  No they were not right, he said. So he could not discuss the problem with me.  I asked him to prove he was Severn Trent and not a scammer!  He had no proof so I declined to talk to him.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23833 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:20:43 pm »
So, most important person in your life? "Me"

Who would you rescue from a burning building? Different question

Who do you want informed if this surgery goes tits up? Yet another question

No answers are Kenny Dalglish in my case
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23834 on: 13 February, 2019, 07:43:57 am »
Builder on the train having a loud phone conversation, uses the phrase “Between you, me and the gatepost...” as an introduction to describing what sounds very much like an illegal gas installation.

:facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23835 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:02:40 pm »
BANG!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #23836 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:25:50 pm »
Builder on the train having a loud phone conversation, uses the phrase “Between you, me and the gatepost...” ...

... the gatepost is the smartest.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23837 on: 13 February, 2019, 01:33:00 pm »
Having trapped nerve1 in my neck has highlighted the poor design of my varifocals for using the desk based computer at home2 because I have to tilt my head back so that I might myopically peer at the screen through the near distance portion of my spectacles. This is aggravating the aforementioned trapped nerve.3

1. I suspect that is what it is, but have not yet rained to waste the time of the GP for him to add me to a waiting list4
2. This wasn't a bother in the office, perhaps because I had no aesthetic considerations, it not being the domain of Dr Beardy (Mrs)
3. If indeed that is what it is (see 1. above)
4. Being now an unemployed yob I have to rely on the NHS because the private health insurance was part of my renumeration package.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23838 on: 13 February, 2019, 02:25:23 pm »
Single focus keyboard specs are often not very pricy and have a vertically deeper optical 'sweet spot' than varifocals.

« Reply #23839 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »
Every day is a school day.

I had no idea that Mylar (BoPET or biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate) is essentially the same material as PET (polyethylene terephthalate) even though I have been working with both in various applications for years.
Space blankets, and 2 litre Coke bottles - for those who's preferred reading is in English.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23840 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:06:02 pm »
Don't Patagonia make their fleeces from discarded soft drink bottles?

« Reply #23841 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:10:12 pm »
Don't Patagonia make their fleeces from discarded soft drink bottles?
Quite possibly.
Not so long ago I had a Berghaus one which had the tri-lobed re-cycling symbol embedded in the left sleeve.
ETA - I think the re-cycled material may've been polyethylene rather than PET - but yes, placcy bottles (amongst other things).

« Reply #23842 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:31:32 pm »
Helly has it right, PET it is - it's the same material as polyester apparently. Also source of one of the the current environmental bugbears, micofibres
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23843 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:45:37 pm »
Helly has it right, PET it is - it's the same material as polyester apparently. Also source of one of the the current environmental bugbears, micofibres
AIUI changing drinks bottles into fleeces is an end of life thing. There's no more recycling to be done once it's a fleece.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23844 on: 13 February, 2019, 04:56:00 pm »
AIUI changing drinks bottles into fleeces is an end of life thing. There's no more recycling to be done once it's a fleece.
Perhaps, not entirely so.
Thanks to the indestructability (yes, there is such a word - I just used it) of the material, my fleece was handed down to someone younger and slimmer than me.
Once he has done with it (or become a f@t b@st@rd) I'm sure there'll be sufficient mileage left in the garment for someone else to keep warm.
The stuff just doesn't deteriorate.

ETA - Less re-cycling, more re-use.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23845 on: 13 February, 2019, 05:49:19 pm »
The fleece I'm currently wearing is looking a bit thin at the elbows.  Also the arms have shrunk a bit since it was new (reasonably sure I'm not turning into a orangutan).  I expect when it reaches end-of-life it'll get burnt by the binmen.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #23846 on: 13 February, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
You're not a librarian by any chance?

"Ook!"
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23847 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:24:02 pm »
PET is also the Stuffs that high-speed bicycles used for windscreens before these new-fangled video camera gadgets.  It's cheap, it can be worked into shape using hot water and it doesn't shatter when you go end-over-end into the brush at R17.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23848 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:39:44 pm »
PET is also the Stuffs that high-speed bicycles used for windscreens before these new-fangled video camera gadgets.  It's cheap, it can be worked into shape using hot water and it doesn't shatter when you go end-over-end into the brush at R17.
if’n they made the whole fairing from it they wouldn’t need a separate window or new-fangled video camera gadgets that go dark at inopportune moments. I should patent the idea and get sponsorship from the fizzy drinks industry.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #23849 on: 14 February, 2019, 02:59:55 pm »
The pub quiz last night went to a tiebreaker and I was our team’s nominated representative. The question was ‘In which war was the battle of Sevastopol?’

I put my hand up a fraction of a second before the other guy. And got the right answer. Yay!

Belatedly, what was their correct answer? Because both the Crimean War and the Second World War would IMO be acceptable.