Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356287 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1300 on: 09 August, 2020, 10:34:22 am »
Yesterday did a bunch of tiles in Luxemburg. I managed to miss 1 municipality though so I have to return.
1036 done, 2 to go (Fischbach LUX and Texel NL)

« Reply #1301 on: 09 August, 2020, 01:19:33 pm »
I'm not a Strava premium member, I've been using RWGPS, uploading my routes to BRouter and overlaying the veloviewer KML to check.

I've now come across this site https://www.statshunters.com/ and I like it.

It connects to Strava and as you might expect there's loads of stats but also on the map settings it already has the option to show your tiles info and you can upload your GPX routes onto open street or google maps.

Here's their youtube overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e63UKfvPw9g

I'm still bagging clumps of tiles round the edges and up to 17x17 now, next target 20x20.

Davef

« Reply #1302 on: 09 August, 2020, 02:28:42 pm »
I bagged a missing tile on Hampstead Heath and my cluster cascaded all the way into central London. Very pleasing.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1303 on: 09 August, 2020, 05:23:41 pm »
32 new tiles today boosted the max cluster by 74 to 1094.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1304 on: 09 August, 2020, 06:07:25 pm »
Did a 75km loop today with the aim of filling in a hole in my cluster. I was using Komoot to deliver navigation instructions via my earpiece and annoyingly missed a few turns, which meant I missed out on four tiles that should have been on my route. Pah!

Anyway, it was a lovely ride none the less - found a couple of great sections that I've never ridden before but will definitely want to ride again.

Also, I have another route planned that I can use to pick off those four tiles I missed without too much of a diversion And it's all good excuses to get out on the bike.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1305 on: 10 August, 2020, 12:23:00 pm »
Got 63 new tiles in East Anglular, largely on roads I'd previously ridden in the heady carefree days before things needed to be on Strava to happen.

It was bloody hot.

I'm prepping the Southern End for The Great Joinup.

« Reply #1306 on: 11 August, 2020, 12:01:04 am »
A cheeky sleepover at an always-open shootin' hut in the North Pennines has pushed me up to 42x42.

More significantly, I reckon, I've filled the gap between Bollihope Common and Swinhope (high land between Teesdale and Weardale). I kinda thought it would be impossible, even though it's access land, as there are hardly any tracks, only one legit bridleway, and a dirty great quarry covering a big lump of it.

Actually, I did miss one tile, but it's the one with the legit bridleway through it. To get the rest, I had to scale stone walls and wriggle under fences (out and back), then  all the rest. Tis done.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1307 on: 11 August, 2020, 09:52:18 pm »
52 new tiles, max cluster up to 1147.

« Reply #1308 on: 13 August, 2020, 10:30:36 am »
Since 'discovering' Veloviewer and Explorer tiles a year or so ago I've been endeavouring to complete Cornwall. The other day I increased my total tiles by 40 and my max cluster by 54, which was pleasing alhough a hot day in very hilly territory (highlighted ride on my image). I still have some cycling to complete near Bude, and will need some walks along bits of coast path and over Bodmin Moor:

Does anyone know if I can get rid of the straight lines caused by Strava blips? (they don't add inaccurate squares, but just look messy!)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1309 on: 13 August, 2020, 11:26:10 am »
Does anyone know if I can get rid of the straight lines caused by Strava blips? (they don't add inaccurate squares, but just look messy!)

Split the track into two parts, and upload them separately.

« Reply #1310 on: 13 August, 2020, 11:28:07 am »
You can get ride of the connection lines by editing the track - in Strava if it's at the start/end you can crop it, otherwise you need dark magic tools to clean up the track.

I've never bothered.

There's something appealing to my completionist tendencies about filling in a peninsular like that.

« Reply #1311 on: 13 August, 2020, 11:35:20 am »
Strava has a riding splitting tool as well as a ride cropping tool.  It is easy to use but the one time I did use it a lot of my segment times were very messed up.  This may have been a coincidence.  It didn't bother me too much but apparently it did bother the people whose KOM's I acquired.  Strava are investigating.

« Reply #1312 on: 13 August, 2020, 12:27:31 pm »
On 34x34, & 1582 cluster now. 

Something I've noticed about my explorer route planning is that I now no longer really look at the elevations much; just set what seems to be a fairly efficient track for tile bagging & ride...  Still not much good at climbing though ;)   

Last explorer ride, I discovered part way through in Cotswolds that I'd acidentally managed to route on a footpath, so selected a bridleway (on phone map) at the roadside.  Rode this, but bridleway seemed to end on GPS, took alternative route to the road - came across elderly gent out for a walk.  Ended up having a cycling chat; turns out he used to do a lot of cycling post WW2 , & frequently cycled from Liverpool area up to Scotland to see relatives.   
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1313 on: 13 August, 2020, 01:46:02 pm »

Something I've noticed about my explorer route planning is that I now no longer really look at the elevations much; just set what seems to be a fairly efficient track for tile bagging & ride... 
Yes, that's how I ended up climbing over 2000 metres on a 95km ride on a very hot Sunday last week

« Reply #1314 on: 13 August, 2020, 02:10:37 pm »
Since 'discovering' Veloviewer and Explorer tiles a year or so ago I've been endeavouring to complete Cornwall.
Good effort! I'm working on something similar in Devon, but have got a lot further to go than you, especially in the far west of the county. Parts of Dartmoor are going to be tricky too. Currently on 6863 tiles total, max square 21x21, max cluster: 1018.

« Reply #1315 on: 13 August, 2020, 02:41:54 pm »

Something I've noticed about my explorer route planning is that I now no longer really look at the elevations much; just set what seems to be a fairly efficient track for tile bagging & ride... 
Yes, that's how I ended up climbing over 2000 metres on a 95km ride on a very hot Sunday last week

Lumpy!   :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1316 on: 13 August, 2020, 03:07:20 pm »
Parts of Dartmoor are going to be tricky too.

Depends how much you enjoy being chased/fired at by the MOD, I guess!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1317 on: 14 August, 2020, 06:50:39 pm »
26 new tiles today, max cluster up to 1216.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1318 on: 15 August, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »
Max cluster now 1274  :)

« Reply #1319 on: 16 August, 2020, 11:05:14 am »
A week's staycation and some well chosen early morning 1-2hr rides and a few family walks, mean that I added another ~100 tiles and reached the Kilocluster (© Pingu) yesterday.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1320 on: 16 August, 2020, 01:49:42 pm »
Signed up to Strava and VeloViewer, blimey that looks addictive!
3287 tiles
8x8 square
104 cluster

Addictive is exactly what I need to get me moving, I hope.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Davef

« Reply #1321 on: 16 August, 2020, 03:16:16 pm »
Max square is now 47x47 and my current year (2020 only) max cluster is 10th at 1337. Just need to wash the bridleway off my bike.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1322 on: 16 August, 2020, 07:06:44 pm »
37 new tiles today, cluster up to 1360.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1323 on: 16 August, 2020, 08:36:42 pm »
Zig-zagging over peat country yesterday in a DIY300 to fill some holes and bring the square to 30x30 and the cluster to 1700. Now I'm boxed in by a lake and the Eems estuary (in the East), so it's time to move South (and maybe learn to kayak, already learned it's a Bad Idea™️ to hit big open water without experience and training)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1324 on: 16 August, 2020, 09:44:14 pm »
Zig-zagging over peat country yesterday in a DIY300 to fill some holes and bring the square to 30x30 and the cluster to 1700. Now I'm boxed in by a lake and the Eems estuary (in the East), so it's time to move South (and maybe learn to kayak, already learned it's a Bad Idea™️ to hit big open water without experience and training)

Maybe time to consider wadlopen?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/