Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356131 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1350 on: 23 August, 2020, 04:35:52 pm »
ugh, yeah I managed that at the <Shrughs> Golf Course during full lockdown, turned before the closed gate into the club house area without going down to the water treatment plant.
I went back and went to the gate of the water treatment plant to claim the tile a few weeks later.

What's on the dotted line the other side of the water? MTB Territory?

Edit: It's the "Castle Course" which appears to be one of the links trust ones... which means I could have just vaulted the gate and not worried too much.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1351 on: 23 August, 2020, 06:05:01 pm »
27 new tiles today increased the max cluster by 118 to 1478.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1352 on: 23 August, 2020, 06:53:29 pm »
What's on the dotted line the other side of the water? MTB Territory?

Across the water is the Isle of Sheppey. Here's a wider view of the area:

The stretch from Elmley Hills down to Dutchman's Island is mostly part of Elmley Nature Reserve, which I'll need to book to visit - they say many of their trails are accessible by bike, so it will be worth taking the MTB over. Parts of it can only be reached on foot though.

What looks to be a road down through Grove to New Quay is actually a private farm track. Just a bit east of that is the road through the prison complex - not sure how accessible that is.

I could have just vaulted the gate and not worried too much.

I've picked up a few tiles by going down private tracks - it's the bits that are marked on the map as 'Danger area' that you want to be wary of. And with much of Sheppey being boggy marshland, I'm not keen on trying anything that involves straying from the marked paths.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1353 on: 23 August, 2020, 07:28:49 pm »
You can learn a lot by just looking at Google Streetview coverage. They (the Google Streetview Cars) are very conservative on where they will go.

On the North side of that tile the Google Streetview goes all the way into Ridham Dock up to about the 'a' of Ridham.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1354 on: 23 August, 2020, 08:30:23 pm »
On the North side of that tile the Google Streetview goes all the way into Ridham Dock up to about the 'a' of Ridham.

Yes, I did some streetview scouting in advance of yesterday's ride. The streetview runs all the way up to the dock entrance barrier, but well before you get to that point there's a big 'No unauthorised entry' sign... which is odd, but there you go.

Fortunately, you've already entered the tile in question by the time you reach that sign, so no need to go any further.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1355 on: 23 August, 2020, 09:48:31 pm »
This long weekend I finally managed to complete all 1038 BeNeLux municipalities for the LongDistance Challenge.
After completing Fischbach on friday I continued with the tilehunt. I have quite a mini cluster in central Luxemburg and around Bastogne now. My main cluster I've extended to sligthly south of Hotton. Still a few stray tiles to connect before I can add my 4th country to my cluster.

« Reply #1356 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:27:52 am »
Decided to update my off road gear and go bikepacking as cycling holidays are off for this year. Mix of roads, WHW and Great Glen to Inverness then the Badger Divide back down to Glasgow. The last part from above Drymen was changed as it missed nice singletrack and route curved to Killearn but missed the water board track going back onto the WHW at the Beechtree inn so never bothered going into Glasgow, cut off for home at Milngavie. 3 days up and another 3 days back for 300+ tiles. Total now 28026, roads are full of campervans. Will try some more bikepacking routes.

« Reply #1357 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:31:48 am »
Had a doctor's appointment this morning which I had to drive to, so set my alarm for 5.30 am and threw bike in the car to do an hour's ride in an area which was "sort of" on the way.  Woke to pouring rain and thought I would man up and go out anyway.  Drove through to planned area saw rain had stopped there. Felt smug, got bike out and ready and went to record ride.  Ah- phone was still plugged in at home where it had been left to charge!

Went for a ride anyway to familiarise myself with the layout, but not on Strava so did't happen.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1358 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:16:05 pm »
Max cluster now 1504.

Back to work tomorrow so the cluster increase rate will drop to more normal levels  :(

« Reply #1359 on: 27 August, 2020, 02:48:04 pm »
I've noticed that by default VV saves activities with a reduced amount of data points. As a result the stored activity is made up a number of straight lines, rather than following the curves of the road/path accurately.
If you open up the specific activity in VV it then fetches all of the data points and a far more accurate track is stored.
I did this for a few of my activities and hey presto, I have dropped from 56x56 to 45x45

So it seems a ride out to Petworth is required!

I wonder how many other "fake" tiles I have? I contacted Ben at VV to ask him if it was possible to trigger a mass regeneration of all activities. He said it's not and one would have to access each activity individually to trigger a recall of the rich data.
+2000 activities will take some time.

I'm fairly certain that the activities done specifically to target tiles are good. But there could be quite a few normal rides that are not. It would be a nice project to find all the holes and fill them.

« Reply #1360 on: 27 August, 2020, 02:58:02 pm »
I contacted Ben at VV to ask him if it was possible to trigger a mass regeneration of all activities. He said it's not and one would have to access each activity individually to trigger a recall of the rich data.
+2000 activities will take some time.

I'm fairly certain that the activities done specifically to target tiles are good. But there could be quite a few normal rides that are not. It would be a nice project to find all the holes and fill them.

I think I've figured out how to do this...
One can download a CSV file of all or your activities.
It doesn't contain the url for each activity, but it contains the ID.
You could use the ID to create a url and then create a script to access all of the urls (slowly!)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1361 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:02:02 pm »
General practice for tilers, check each ride after you do it, dosent help you historically though.

On your activities page there is a column (right over on the far right) titled "Tiles calculated" which tells you which rides have been expanded to max resolution.
You can click on the header and sort all checked to the top..etc.

You can also filter that column for Yes and No.

« Reply #1362 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:06:08 pm »
Yeah you really need to click on and open all* of your activities in veloviewer to get an accurate tile count and remove all false positive and false negative tiles.    This was discussed upthread a while back.

*in practice you don't need to open all your activities as it's the longer ones that the downsampling has the biggest effect on, so it's just these that you need to concentrate on.   What I've done is, in veloviewer activity tab display the list of your rides, add a filter to show 'tiles calculated' and just leave 'no' checked.  Then click on the distance heading to order  by distance with longest first.  Then just go down the list with a ctrl click to open the activities in a new browser tab - carry on down the list as far as you can be arsed.

Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1363 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:07:23 pm »
^^^Cross post with Jack
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1364 on: 27 August, 2020, 03:08:27 pm »
Many thanks both of you!

« Reply #1365 on: 27 August, 2020, 05:00:36 pm »
So I recalculated all rides longer that 160km and now my square is looking like a Swiss cheese.
Down to 38x38!

It will be a large task to fix this.  ...which is a good thing.
I have no doubt that there are many more errors waiting to be discovered. Makes sense to find them all before planning rides to rectify the situation.

« Reply #1366 on: 27 August, 2020, 08:46:00 pm »
I've lost a dozen tiles, 38 off my cluster and square back down to 19 following a similar exercise. Wondering if I should do all the remaining rides- I went to 90km but there's another 468 still to do...

*sigh*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1367 on: 28 August, 2020, 01:01:34 am »
Dammit!

38->32  :(

« Reply #1368 on: 28 August, 2020, 02:04:15 pm »
I fixed mine last month, zoomed in on map looking to do a good new tile run and the M8/74 showed up. Cropped all of the runs affected 200+ tiles deleted, i had forgotten to swich off then drove home.

« Reply #1369 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:05:28 pm »
Lol, 3 false positives.  So down from 34x34 to 28x28.  Better load each ride after updating.

VV-post-tile calc_280820 by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Davef

« Reply #1370 on: 28 August, 2020, 04:31:29 pm »
I went from 47x47 to 36x36 as I lost critical square. I was going through the village in question today and it needed only a 100m detour. Stopped at pub for lunch in village. Just arrived home and realised I forgot the 100m detour. Still back at 36x36

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1371 on: 28 August, 2020, 07:11:26 pm »
I feel for you downgraders.

Yes, this was discussed early in the topic and being a relatively late GPS adopter I luckily only had a couple of hundred activities to update. Still took a while thobut.

Perhaps Ben at VV could make this issue more prominent on the website?

« Reply #1372 on: 28 August, 2020, 07:19:30 pm »
I had a couple of rides which meandered all over (especially Mille Pennines), but couldn't get them to update so I've been eyeballing it and knocking out the false positives. I'm confident I have none in my square, probably a few in my cluster.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #1373 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:03:06 pm »
I laboriously went through this a year ago, sorted my rides by length and slowly loaded them all until I'd got accurate VV tiles for each. Now I just click on the ride after loading it, just to make sure. It's a pain, but like Audax, just stick with it.

simonp

« Reply #1374 on: 29 August, 2020, 11:30:53 pm »
When I tried this my laptop ground to a halt because I opened too many at once.