Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356327 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2625 on: 03 February, 2023, 10:27:04 pm »
I can't find the veloviewer grid option in Strava routes on Chrome any more.  My VV extension seems all in order.  I note there's been some recent issues.  Has it disappeared?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #2626 on: 04 February, 2023, 06:58:24 am »
same here- personal heatmap no longer shows tiles
**update***  VeloViewer twitter says there was another change to the Strava Route Builder yesterday morning.  Ben has rolled out a change to his Chrome extension and it should be released on Google within 24 hrs.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2627 on: 04 February, 2023, 01:42:24 pm »

The chrome extension for the strava route planner works for me. I didn't do anything so dunno if it updated automagically or not.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2628 on: 05 February, 2023, 09:05:03 pm »
Caught on military grounds ✅ on foreign soil ✅

Most likely my last "naughty" tile for a 100 square, and the only that might have gotten me in trouble. Luckily it was a forester and not the MP, and he was mostly perplexed that someone would still wander into an area with "Danger of Deth, here be unexploded ordnance" signs repeated every 100m at the perimeter. (I don't have a death wish, it was 300 meters on a well maintained and clear track with recent tyre marks)

Fortunately my German was good enough to apologise and blame my GPS and bad enough to be dismissed as Another Dumb Dutchman  ;). Already on my way back to the perimeter and dressed in hi-viz clothing may have added to the story of an innocent dimwit and I soon was sent on my way with a parting "schönes Wochenende"

The adventure of tiling  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2629 on: 05 February, 2023, 09:53:08 pm »

Most likely my last "naughty" tile for a 100 square, and the only that might have gotten me in trouble. Luckily it was a forester and not the MP, and he was mostly perplexed that someone would still wander into an area with "Danger of Deth, here be unexploded ordnance" signs repeated every 100m at the perimeter. (I don't have a death wish, it was 300 meters on a well maintained and clear track with recent tyre marks)

Fortunately my German was good enough to apologise and blame my GPS and bad enough to be dismissed as Another Dumb Dutchman  ;). Already on my way back to the perimeter and dressed in hi-viz clothing may have added to the story of an innocent dimwit and I soon was sent on my way with a parting "schönes Wochenende"

It's amazing what you can get away with if you blame Google maps. That's saved my arse a couple of times.

J
--

« Reply #2630 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:44:42 am »

It's amazing what you can get away with if you blame Google maps. That's saved my arse a couple of times.

J
I don't think I'd have got away with that for the Lulworth one, given, y'know, the padlocked gate.

But there was nobody around  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #2631 on: 06 February, 2023, 12:49:16 pm »

Which bit of DE was that?

I failed in Niederkrüchten and unless I take up golf I will not get that tile.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Zed43

« Reply #2632 on: 06 February, 2023, 02:05:26 pm »
Ah, the former RAF base near Brüggen :) The good news for that tile is that (AFAIK) it will be developed into industrial or housing.

My tile was just North of the village of Lavesum, near Haltern am See.

« Reply #2633 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:27:56 pm »

Which bit of DE was that?

I failed in Niederkrüchten and unless I take up golf I will not get that tile.

I already failed 3 times at RAF Brüggen. Waiting for the redevelopment (or when someone de-fenced it)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2634 on: 07 February, 2023, 11:21:50 pm »

https://youtu.be/31vE4FbKna0

Well that's one way to get the tiles in the channel...

J
--

« Reply #2635 on: 13 February, 2023, 08:06:45 pm »
That Squadrats plugin is great for plotting in RideWithGPS, I like it, except it's alerted me to a missing square smack bang in the middle of my max square  :facepalm:

Back down to 11x11...

« Reply #2636 on: 06 March, 2023, 01:18:53 pm »
@FifeingEejit 's 'Tour of the Ochils' got me 25 new tiles

11230 tiles
Max square 18x18 (still!)
Max Cluster: 848 (seem to have lost one somewhere!)
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #2637 on: 14 March, 2023, 11:49:07 am »
That Squadrats plugin is great for plotting in RideWithGPS, I like it, except it's alerted me to a missing square smack bang in the middle of my max square  :facepalm:

Back down to 11x11...
That might just be the ride is private, worth reviewing.

Once going through privacy settings I haven't spotted a single mismatch with VV.

« Reply #2638 on: 15 March, 2023, 03:22:24 pm »

Back down to 11x11...
That might just be the ride is private, worth reviewing.

Once going through privacy settings I haven't spotted a single mismatch with VV.
Nope, I actually haven't been through it.

Zed43

« Reply #2639 on: 02 April, 2023, 08:45:55 pm »
Upped the square to 106x106 today.

« Reply #2640 on: 02 April, 2023, 09:37:56 pm »
Wow

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2641 on: 02 April, 2023, 10:13:56 pm »

Seriously impressive @Zed43!!

And on page 106 of the thread too...

J
--

« Reply #2642 on: 04 April, 2023, 09:25:13 am »
Upped the square to 106x106 today.

If I count quickly, it's 51 tiles south until you hit the impossible tile near Brüggen. Is there anything else (except logistical and time issues) that's stopping you to reach 157x157?

Zed43

« Reply #2643 on: 04 April, 2023, 04:38:24 pm »
Hopefully, by the time I reach Brüggen re-development will have started and that big fence torn down :)

The main obstacle until Brüggen will be Truppenübungsplatz Senne, the huge military training grounds North of Paderborn (31 tiles away). Some roads crossing it are public when there is no live fire, but that still leaves some pretty deep incursions to get all the tiles. And I know from a ride report on Strava that there is active patrolling, even on Sunday... And there could also a few "difficult" military and industrial tiles North-West of Bremen. It's a bit difficult to judge, with Germany banning Google Streetview  :(

« Reply #2644 on: 04 April, 2023, 08:55:58 pm »
So time to start canoeing the IJsselmeer and Waddenzee to avoid those obstacles  ;)

Zed43

« Reply #2645 on: 04 April, 2023, 09:54:47 pm »
I honestly think there's more risk in that than in trespassing on military grounds  :-\ Big open water is not to be taken lightly. Maybe, if the weather is really really calm and stable I'll try to get (some of) the islands into the cluster.

But after filling that hole East of Arnhem I'll give rest to increasing the square for a good while. First PBP qualification and getting used to the new bike (anxiously awaiting it), doing a few more BRM (Maastricht 1000 is on the wish-list as is a German 600) and maybe a little cluster expansion in Holland and in the South in between.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2646 on: 13 April, 2023, 12:10:46 pm »
At the weekend I added 13 new tiles to the east of my main cluster round Woking. My square/cluster extends further to the west of my home than to the east - it's just more pleasant cycling to the west than to the east.

A couple of years ago I managed all the military ranges round Aldershot, Bisley etc without getting arrested. Or shot.

Next week I'm going to try to fill in some missing tiles in my secondary cluster on the Machars peninsula,

including this one, which should be doable without getting my feet wet if I time it right.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #2647 on: 14 April, 2023, 04:48:28 am »
At the weekend I added 13 new tiles to the east of my main cluster round Woking. My square/cluster extends further to the west of my home than to the east - it's just more pleasant cycling to the west than to the east.

A couple of years ago I managed all the military ranges round Aldershot, Bisley etc without getting arrested. Or shot.

Next week I'm going to try to fill in some missing tiles in my secondary cluster on the Machars peninsula,

including this one, which should be doable without getting my feet wet if I time it right.

Well done Salvatore, your square is pretty-much my target for the next few years! I have completed from Eastbourne, in the South East, up to the South West tip of your cluster basically.

« Reply #2648 on: 14 April, 2023, 04:02:11 pm »
Extended my max cluster from Sunderland up to Alnwick the other day. It got a bit too adventurous in places tbh.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2649 on: 15 April, 2023, 06:45:20 pm »

Today I decided to take the train to the North of Noord Holland, and cycle south until I got hungry, then get on a train. 48km later, I was annoyed at myself for not having a better breakfast. But I did manage to extend my cluster to the north of Noord Holland at Den Helder.

Am happy with that.

J
--