Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356132 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2675 on: 09 May, 2023, 08:51:29 pm »
With an inaugral kayak I managed to nab an acquatic Squadratinho.

Nice proof of concept, the boat didn't deflate, and I didn't capsize. Eventually I felt comfortable enough to move a little way away from the shore.

But it sure is a long way from this (not today, obviously!):

To this:

It may well prove more expedient to bridge the gap at Sharpness, but long term prospects of filling in further downstream are nice.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2676 on: 09 May, 2023, 09:05:31 pm »
Spent the weekend camping in Drenthe and doing day rides. I now have a nice cluster formed between Assen and Groningen. Added over 80 tiles to my total count.

Now I just need to work out how to connect it to my main cluster...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #2677 on: 10 May, 2023, 02:04:04 pm »
Having never used it, I just asked Veloviewer if it's possible to get "Explorer" fields, things like max cluster, max square etc. in the signature image thing. Squares this year would be good too I guess. We'd all use it, right?

Filled in a couple of squares yesterday, in Dalkeith just outside of Edinburgh, and it reminded me why I like this squarebagging so much. It's somewhere close enough with a bunch of urban fiddly type riding to it that I could easily have went a long time without ever cycling there. Plotted a 30km route and had a wonderful time. Back alleys, cut throughs, field margins, nettle stings, the remains of a 17th century tower, bluebells. It were great.

« Reply #2678 on: 16 May, 2023, 07:54:18 am »
Set out to fill a gap yesterday evening after work.

« Reply #2679 on: 16 May, 2023, 01:07:32 pm »
Delighted to report, after a number of attempts, that I'm marginally less computer-stupid than previously. (perhaps computer-ignorant is kinder). Plannign to pick a further four up tomorrow night, on a shorter route home.

25 new squares by commuting back from London to Bedfordshire last night. Some of them "new" because they're from the pre-GPS North London stamping ground.
(no image, cos I'm computer stupid)

« Reply #2680 on: 18 May, 2023, 12:18:57 am »
Another train catalysed outing, starting at Winchester this time.

However, all that off roading on Monday seemed to have loosened a couple of bolts, so for my first order of business I had to nip via Halfords to get them tightened up. Only, navigational dunce that I am, I headed completely the wrong direction. Oh well, a couple more tiles.

Ruh roh. I don't remember seeing the A34 on the advertisement. Oh, and I had to take the rightmost exit from the roundabout  :o

In contrast, the planned section of the route was excellent.

« Reply #2681 on: 18 May, 2023, 08:29:45 am »
I amended my planned commute home that would have picked up four tiles, and without too much extra distance picked up 17. Expanded the cluster by 25 by virtue of filling a couple of gaps. Endless red lights, and three road closures added interest
My main problem now is that given my current speed, making the commute home longer starts pushing it beyond what is reasonable to do on a weeknight. Fifty miles is probably the limit at the moment.

« Reply #2682 on: 18 May, 2023, 08:55:44 am »
Got a loan of a Brompton and used it on the commute the other day, jumping off the Metro early and riding in via track that has more "Private" and "No Entry" signs per kilometre than any other track I've cycled down. Which was interesting.

Anyway, that got me a couple of fiddly squares near my max cluster, looking forward to the summer when I can get some proper squarebagging done.

« Reply #2683 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:37:44 am »
I did that track in summer. It's a rollercoaster even in the dry.

« Reply #2684 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:42:35 am »
Yeah, nice to find the limit of the 16 inch wheels though. The Strava Heatmap shows people do ride the track, but the signage suggests they shouldn't be. Nice little track to know about though, even though they do train police dogs there at times.

« Reply #2685 on: 18 May, 2023, 04:03:11 pm »
I did Luton last week. Turned out it had some quite nice bits:

Max square will probably stay on 50x50 for the rest of this year:

« Reply #2686 on: 19 May, 2023, 04:11:38 pm »
The busway is very nice. If my trains aren't running it's a lovely ten miles home along the busway, greenway then backroads on the brompton. It's the towns at each end that are the problem. I got a double puncture after coming off the busway early one sunday morning on a (sadly aborted) tilebagging mission. Booting the tyre and replacing tubes on the high street early on a sunday morning was like being on safari. Now I've got all the tiles I avoid Luton if at all possible.

« Reply #2687 on: 19 May, 2023, 08:45:30 pm »
Now I've got all the tiles I avoid Luton if at all possible.

That's my plan too  ;D

« Reply #2688 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:07:19 am »
Does anyone know how I can get rid of straight lines on Veloviewer when the red line should follow the road riden. See middle of pic. This example doesn't change anything but I suspect it might change things elsewhere.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

LFCC

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2689 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:16:52 am »

Click on it. That will open the detailed view.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2690 on: 21 May, 2023, 12:37:02 pm »
Also, on your activities page you can add a "Tiles calculated" to only show rides that have not had their precision updated. Click on all rides in that list to prevent surprises later on.

« Reply #2691 on: 21 May, 2023, 01:25:58 pm »

Click on it. That will open the detailed view.

J
I have done that and can see the proper trace of the ride but the tile map in Veloviewer still shows the straight lines.
I tried editing the Strava activity and then doing an update on Veloviewer but it still shows straight lines rather than following roads.
LFCC

« Reply #2692 on: 21 May, 2023, 01:32:14 pm »
Also, on your activities page you can add a "Tiles calculated" to only show rides that have not had their precision updated. Click on all rides in that list to prevent surprises later on.
This creates a very, very long list.
I have clicked on rides that have shown straight lines which brings up an accurate map of the individual ride but does not change the tile map after refreshing
LFCC

« Reply #2693 on: 24 May, 2023, 07:59:28 am »
13 new squares, cluster up 27. now up to 3x35 squares from just 2. Tilebagging in London in rush hour really is slow work. Only one out and back spur, and one missed turn

« Reply #2694 on: 24 May, 2023, 08:58:38 am »
A semi tile in London, 27 new tiles, 1 more for my C. London minicluster.

Well, this bridge was about to be closed, with the most ridiculous diversion I've ever encountered (saying something!), which you can see ready to be put in place...

::-)

« Reply #2695 on: 25 May, 2023, 07:55:52 am »
I have clicked on rides that have shown straight lines which brings up an accurate map of the individual ride but does not change the tile map after refreshing

I think that the tracks on the 'tile map' on the Activities tab are simplified to speed up processing.  This seems more noticeable on the longer rides so there may be a limit on the number of points displayed per ride.

A bit of a 600k on the Activities tab:

...and the same bit on the individual ride page:

« Reply #2696 on: 30 May, 2023, 08:27:36 am »
Wife and kids are away for half term, so dropped me off on their way for 42 squares, filling in most of the east bank of the Cherwell.

Found this when I stopped to put more air in the tyres. whoops. Premptively booted it and it made the forty miles home

« Reply #2697 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:27:13 am »
Insubstantial, but a couple of walks while visiting family made a new mini-cluster in Glasgow.

« Reply #2698 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:33:24 am »

I think that the tracks on the 'tile map' on the Activities tab are simplified to speed up processing.  This seems more noticeable on the longer rides so there may be a limit on the number of points displayed per ride.

A bit of a 600k on the Activities tab:

...and the same bit on the individual ride page:

Thanks. I was worried about claiming tiles that I shouldn't have. After lots of checking I found one that won't effect my max square or cluster. See pic. I was on the road so should have the top right tile instead of bottom left.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

LFCC

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2699 on: 30 May, 2023, 09:55:31 am »
Open the activity page for that particular ride (click on it in your activities list). Veloviewer will then use the complete gpx not the abridged version to calculate your squares.