Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 356177 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2750 on: 01 September, 2023, 10:19:44 pm »
You can upload a GPX here: https://veloviewer.com/routes/0

I think you will have to count the tiles manually.
Perfect thank you.  (a route I have in mind should give me ~350 new tiles)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2751 on: 01 September, 2023, 11:31:34 pm »
don't bother, no GPS signal in the tunnel  :P

Just swim... or kayak... :p

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2752 on: 01 September, 2023, 11:35:05 pm »

Gossamer Albatross tactics?

« Reply #2753 on: 02 September, 2023, 10:11:55 am »

Gossamer Albatross tactics?
Far too much effort. Kayak is prime option, although it would be really fitting to have some kind of pedalo.

« Reply #2754 on: 03 September, 2023, 12:03:23 am »
170 tiles today on the Insch by Insch 200. I've ridden most of the roads before, just before strava  ;D

« Reply #2755 on: 04 September, 2023, 02:27:30 pm »
A Bank Holiday outing to Shrewsbury let me fill some gaps around Banbury. Annoyingly I missed the circled one, due to a combination of the garmin throwing random straight lines across a field, then as a result telling me I was off route / off the end of the spur too early, and a lady jogger, who I'd overtaken, then spun around in front of, using the excuse of a wrong turn, then feeling uncomfortable going back and circling around her in case i'd missed it... Always leave something out there for next time, right? it'll only add 2km to the next ride picking up the lower gaps.
Made poor time on the way, over heating and hills, so had a massive sulk and cut the route short by 6 miles or so, which meant I missed out on unifying and expanding the Shrewsbury clusters but I did unify two and expand from 5-11

« Reply #2756 on: 08 September, 2023, 08:37:36 pm »

Woop! Now just need to fill in a tiny gap closer to home...

« Reply #2757 on: 09 September, 2023, 06:39:07 am »

Explored a North West corner of my tiles yesterday and unexpectedly got up to 32x32
!
Can you see what I’m building here? 60+ square before I retire, ha

« Reply #2758 on: 10 September, 2023, 05:47:38 pm »
Mission fully accomplished this afternoon.
Distance: 14 km
New tiles: 10
Max cluster increase: +318 (1800 -> 2118).

« Reply #2759 on: 10 September, 2023, 07:13:34 pm »
A couple of updates.
This one was a day trip to the island of Unst, which is about 2 hours drive and 2 ferries from home.
I'd never ridden there before, so all new tiles, but a fair bit of off road tracks and random wanders about in the hill to get the tile coverage.
In the end I ran out of time to do the SE corner, so another visit still needed, but it was great riding on and off road, with hardly a car moving.

« Reply #2760 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:11:22 am »
Brilliant photos.  Looks like there are 2 tiles allowing you to join Yell cluster on to Unst.  But maybe a struggle to link the cluster between Yell and the mainland without taking to the water?

« Reply #2761 on: 11 September, 2023, 11:37:18 am »
Thank you carlosferreiro - love the pictures.

I also love the finite challenge your islands offer. You are going to have to get in that water though...

« Reply #2762 on: 11 September, 2023, 03:27:19 pm »
Yes, Unst to Yell joins no bother right along the sound, but Yell to the mainland means a small boat trip to the uninhabited islands of Bigga and/or Samphrey for some little walks. Fetlar can be joined to Yell with the same kind of trip to Hascosay and then one short swim/paddle too.

I'm not taking to the water by kayak etc myself, so I'll see what random opportunities come up.
Quite a bit of Yell tiles away from roads means not that interesting peat bog hikes, which again are not so much my thing....
My interest has shifted to easier gains on new ground on mainland Scotland, more to come in the next update ;-)

« Reply #2763 on: 12 September, 2023, 08:50:55 am »
Took to the water myself at the weekend. Used the paddleboard to get the tile under the Queensferry Crossing.  Will aim to complete the inner Forth over the coming months.  Cool to see the bridges from underneath

« Reply #2764 on: 13 September, 2023, 08:44:57 pm »
And my other bit of action lately, a ferry trip to Aberdeen and a 5 day tour round the north east - Aberdeen - Portsoy - Elgin- Elgin - Portsoy - Aberdeen
Route planning was a surgical out and back parallel putting a corridor all the way through to Nairn, but things didn't quite work out, with a couple of missed tiles and Culbin forest not turning out to be so easy to navigate, but mostly putting in a shortcut on the Portsoy to Aberdeen return as there was a strong southerly wind and I wanted a bit more buffer to make sure I caught the ferry.

In the end though 5 great days riding over a big mix of surfaces, mostly on road but a fair bit of forestry and coastal paths and the random farm tracks cutting across from road to road, and blazing sun every day, fully maxing out my sun tan  ;)
This is more where my interest is at the moment, playing join the dots of places by interesting corridors on little holiday trips.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2765 on: 13 September, 2023, 09:54:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #2766 on: 14 September, 2023, 07:31:58 am »
And my other bit of action lately, a ferry trip to Aberdeen and a 5 day tour round the north east - Aberdeen - Portsoy - Elgin- Elgin - Portsoy - Aberdeen
Route planning was a surgical out and back parallel putting a corridor all the way through to Nairn, but things didn't quite work out, with a couple of missed tiles and Culbin forest not turning out to be so easy to navigate, but mostly putting in a shortcut on the Portsoy to Aberdeen return as there was a strong southerly wind and I wanted a bit more buffer to make sure I caught the ferry.

In the end though 5 great days riding over a big mix of surfaces, mostly on road but a fair bit of forestry and coastal paths and the random farm tracks cutting across from road to road, and blazing sun every day, fully maxing out my sun tan  ;)
This is more where my interest is at the moment, playing join the dots of places by interesting corridors on little holiday trips.

Great photos. Inspiring

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #2767 on: 22 September, 2023, 12:14:20 pm »
Hi folks,

Love this ongoing thread :-). I am trying to write down the history of tiling as best I remember it. What I have so far is at https://rideeverytile.com/history-of-tiling but there's likely important bits I'm missing. If you have any thoughts/remembrances/ideas for the article (or, indeed, the site) please let me have them!

Thanks, Pete.

« Reply #2768 on: 22 September, 2023, 06:31:52 pm »
Hi folks,

Love this ongoing thread :-). I am trying to write down the history of tiling as best I remember it. What I have so far is at https://rideeverytile.com/history-of-tiling but there's likely important bits I'm missing. If you have any thoughts/remembrances/ideas for the article (or, indeed, the site) please let me have them!

Thanks, Pete.
What about things that came before? eg the Degree Confluence Project, and Geograph. Maybe they helped to inspire tiling.

« Reply #2769 on: 01 October, 2023, 11:39:43 am »
My first new tile for three months!

Unfortunately I have been a victim of circumstance. Came off the bike at the beginning of July, which gave me a minor fracture which was sufficient to keep me from cycling for a couple of weeks. Managed a few days riding, when I had a major and non-bike related accident, which has kept me off the bike for a couple of months. Since getting back on I've been trying to build up the strength and stamina again, and today managed the 60km round trip to the most accessible unbagged tile (Berkeley power station, if anyone is interested).

I'm sure that more will follow in due course.

« Reply #2770 on: 04 October, 2023, 04:06:57 pm »
Up to 42 x 42 today. Nothing as aspirational as the adventures above.

Got Bicester knocked off which I had been putting off for ages for obvious reasons.

Getting to 43x43 is going to take some planning/cunning as i'm hemmed in by HS2 currently.

« Reply #2771 on: 13 October, 2023, 08:31:18 am »
Up to 42 x 42 today. Nothing as aspirational as the adventures above.

Got Bicester knocked off which I had been putting off for ages for obvious reasons.

Getting to 43x43 is going to take some planning/cunning as i'm hemmed in by HS2 currently.

Interesting you mention HS2. In 2018 Jon France cited potentially getting blocked by HS2 was one reason he did his crazy 100x100 year - he wanted to get them all done whilst the countryside was still there. Are there any really tricky tiles due to HS2 now? I think I've got most of them and am always surprised by how huge an area the construction sites are. Will be tidied up when they finish I suppose.

« Reply #2772 on: 19 October, 2023, 10:42:09 am »
I wasn't going to bother doing this because I don't want to pay for Strava or Veloviewer. Squadrats (free) made me have a look though.

In August I started with a mess of random training rides and races and a "massive" 9x9 square :D

A month later, with some Strava backfilling and local lunch rides (no long rides as I've been overseas) I'm now in top 20 in Squadrats and Squadratinos

« Reply #2773 on: 23 October, 2023, 12:13:18 pm »
Mountain bike excursion yesterday to mop up some tiles around Salisbury. First max square increase in a long time, from 25x25 to 26x26.

That faint track is the Roman Road :)

This kink was to avoid a massive valley. Funny to see the point at which the roman engineers thought "to hell with the straight lines, I'm going around that"

« Reply #2774 on: 23 October, 2023, 12:18:56 pm »
I did a couple of rides on the weekend, totally about 230k and added 54 tiles and 4 to my square taking it to 24x24.

I think I'm stuck in most directions with private land so my squadratinos lunch explorations are probably going to move towards increasing yardage.