Author Topic: Five countries in 250km  (Read 1171 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Five countries in 250km
« on: 24 November, 2018, 09:13:50 am »
My old Airnimal died this year, so I bought a replacement.  Gave it a couple of short test rides in the UK and then took it to France for a couple of short rides on our family trip in Normandy.  Had a week in Basel, so packed it up and had a ride into Germany and back into Switzerland.  Then last week had 3 days in the Netherlands and was able to sneak in a couple of my favourite rides (one down to Hook v Holland and across to Maasluis and back via Delft, and the other through the dunes to Zandvoort and back).  Was writing up my log today and realised that I'd packed in 5 different countries within 250km of riding my new machine.  Proves the value of the Airnimal for a business traveller like myself.

Highlight, and most terrifying moment was on the way back from Zandvoort.  There's quite a big deer herd there but I wasn't expecting a huge stag standing in the middle of the path glaring at me!  Fortunately alert breaking and a surprised yell made it move off in that reluctant way that the black ram does in the VW add set to Lenny Kravitz's "Are you going my way?"
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Re: Five countries in 250km
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2018, 05:55:03 pm »
This sounds like a challenge: minimum distance to visit 5 countries (in a single ride, obviously  :P). I bet less than 200 km is possible. For instance: Vaals-Aachen-Longwy (going through the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg and France). Maybe Lindau-Vaduz-Montespluga (Germany-Austria-Liechtenstein-Switzerland-Italy) is even shorter?