Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 145024 times)

Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #425 on: 13 August, 2015, 11:48:54 am »

No good can come of applying sportsball metaphors to software development.

Absolutely. Having such metaphors in play should be considered a foul, or at the very least offside. They should be kicked into touch at the first opportunity.
Everyone should run with that.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #426 on: 13 August, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »

No good can come of applying sportsball metaphors to software development.

Absolutely. Having such metaphors in play should be considered a foul, or at the very least offside. They should be kicked into touch at the first opportunity.
Everyone should run with that.

OUT!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #427 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:43:23 pm »
Barakta informs me that manglement in her place of ork have taken to using "bottom it out" to mean something approximating "finish a task".

Since "bottom out" is generally understood to mean that something has reached its lowest point, it stands to reason that "bottom it out" ought to imply that you're being instructed to fuck something up until it can't get any worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #428 on: 27 August, 2015, 02:54:14 pm »
Barakta informs me that manglement in her place of ork have taken to using "bottom it out" to mean something approximating "finish a task".

Since "bottom out" is generally understood to mean that something has reached its lowest point, it stands to reason that "bottom it out" ought to imply that you're being instructed to fuck something up until it can't get any worse.

I have a perfect skill set and experience.  How do I apply?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #429 on: 05 January, 2016, 08:57:00 am »
Yesterday morning I had the pleasure of a "The Art Of being Brilliant" presentation.

All about mood hoovers and 2 percenters etc. The nub of it was that the really effective folk are happy cos they choose to be so.

I decided that I would stop being a miserable fucker when people stop pissing me off.

« Reply #430 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:44:34 am »
'smashed it'

Management here don't use this. It's bloody popular in restaurant kitchens. Apparently "absolutely smashed it" means "the restaurant was busy and we managed to cook all the food properly and on time.".
My son has been told he's up for promotion once he's smashed everything in the kitchen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #431 on: 19 January, 2016, 11:56:20 am »
To further foster our customer centricity and to better align our structure to focus on customer needs the following management changes.
 are announced

Reading between the lines-A was not able to acheive the astronomical budget that we set him  so we have bought in B.
 A will move to a non customer contact role.

« Reply #432 on: 19 January, 2016, 12:17:24 pm »
As an antidote, here's some managementese set to a Crosby, Stills & Nash-style backing track:

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Mission Statement  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #433 on: 19 January, 2016, 01:33:31 pm »
'smashed it'

Management here don't use this. It's bloody popular in restaurant kitchens. Apparently "absolutely smashed it" means "the restaurant was busy and we managed to cook all the food properly and on time.".
My son has been told he's up for promotion once he's smashed everything in the kitchen.

Are you sure it doesn't mean: "We ran out of proper potatoes"?

« Reply #434 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:10:53 pm »
'smashed it'

Are you sure it doesn't mean: "We ran out of proper potatoes"?

"You peel them with the little knives... hahahahahaha...."
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #435 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:28:44 pm »
Our on-line training site is no longer the "Defence Learning Portal", it is now the "Defence Learning Environment". There are no courses in this new "learing environment", only "learning opportunities" :sick:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #436 on: 19 January, 2016, 02:33:47 pm »
Our on-line training site is no longer the "Defence Learning Portal", it is now the "Defence Learning Environment". There are no courses in this new "learing environment", only "learning opportunities" :sick:

Presumably dreamt up by the same genius who coined "fitted for but not with"?  :demon:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #437 on: 19 January, 2016, 03:43:34 pm »

Presumably dreamt up by the same genius who coined "fitted for but not with"?  :demon:

"Thought of but not through"?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #438 on: 19 January, 2016, 06:40:08 pm »
Presumably dreamt up by the same genius who coined "fitted for but not with"?
In the correct context that is a useful phrase. We often use it at work where something is designed to have an optional extra fitted but which doesn't come as standard or where we won't be supplying it.

But I have no idea how you'd use it in a 'management' context.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #439 on: 19 January, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »

- Boss, I've got a serious problem.
- There are no such things as problems here, just opportunities. What is it?
- It's a serious drinking opportunity.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #440 on: 19 January, 2016, 10:49:36 pm »
On a recent course, we were instructed not to use the term "but" in response to anyone elses comments, rathe to "build positively using and instead" ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: More insane management speak phrases
« Reply #441 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:31:14 pm »
"One Best Way" or, as I've started to call it "Tautological One Best Way".
If we were to follow Winslow Taylor's principles then we would be efficient.
We're not, but manglement still keep spouting "One Best Way".
I'm still managing to keep biting my tongue but it can't last ...........

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #442 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:04:07 pm »
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #443 on: 05 February, 2016, 01:18:13 pm »
My manager is a great source of management speak bullshit neologisms and mashups. Some would be very funny if delibearte. I never get the chance to write them down, but here's a sample from recent discussions:

"We'll stretch the envelope a bit on this one."
"So now we're a bit behind the curve-ball."

(There was one about everyone being on the same bus - which of course all come at once - recently, but I forget the exact wording ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #444 on: 12 July, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »
Smoke test this in the war room.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #445 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:44:14 am »
According to our CEO's weekly blog, there was a Hackathon in the building last week. He particularly thanked the Scrum Master...

W T actual F?  :hand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_(software_development)

A delightful hybrid between a project failure management methodology and a borderline-cult. We've got some of it at our place. The high priests and priestesses of it call themselves "masters".

A sometimes deliberate misinterpretation of the principles of scrum/agile, or even sometimes a correct interpretation of them, can be and often is used as an excuse to avoid bothering doing a particular piece of work.

Agile, in general, annoys me these days. It's loaded with jargon that seems intended to obfuscate at every level from management to droid what is actually happening. Which is generally annoying customers with constant software updates where the features are bugs. Yeah, yeah, but look how quickly we fix them, they'll say. Scrum that.

« Reply #446 on: 13 July, 2016, 11:02:16 am »
You're all a bunch of gits in here.   I was thinking of applying for a permanent position but this thread reminds me of the utterfuckwitteryandtotalarsebollox that I would have to endure on a daily basis if i did.

« Reply #447 on: 13 July, 2016, 12:02:45 pm »
According to our CEO's weekly blog, there was a Hackathon in the building last week. He particularly thanked the Scrum Master...

W T actual F?  :hand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_(software_development)

A delightful hybrid between a project failure management methodology and a borderline-cult. We've got some of it at our place. The high priests and priestesses of it call themselves "masters".

A sometimes deliberate misinterpretation of the principles of scrum/agile, or even sometimes a correct interpretation of them, can be and often is used as an excuse to avoid bothering doing a particular piece of work.

Agile, in general, annoys me these days. It's loaded with jargon that seems intended to obfuscate at every level from management to droid what is actually happening. Which is generally annoying customers with constant software updates where the features are bugs. Yeah, yeah, but look how quickly we fix them, they'll say. Scrum that.
The whole field of software development & testing methodologies annoys me, & has done for many years. It's a constant re-packaging of the same ideas under fancy new names. 'Scrum', for example, seems to be a description of the workings of disorganised in-house development departments cursed with users whose demands must be met & who can't make up their minds. I have painful (& sometimes hilarious, e.g. the discovery that incremental changes had created two reports with 90% overlap, delivered to users in adjacent offices, neither of who wanted the non-overlapping parts*) memories of them.

I was recently sent a few invitations to give money to a supposed expert on testing methodologies, accompanied by a list of supposedly ground-breaking 'advanced' testing techniques - all of which I recall as being regarded as being standard good practice & too bloody obvious to need spelling out to anyone above the level of just-joined trainee back in 1982, when I was one of the just-joined trainees who was being told about them.

*Resolved by showing both reports to the users & asking them to mark everything they wanted on both of them, then modifying the one which was easiest to change & no longer scheduling the other. One report with half as much on it (easier to read), & happy customers.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #448 on: 13 July, 2016, 07:11:27 pm »
Of all the development "methodologies" I have been exposed to and had to work within over the years including but not limited to Waterfall, SSADM, V, Headless Chicken, Death March, Mongolian Horde and combinations thereof (Headless Mongolian Horde Death March is no fun at all) I think Agile is absolutely the worst. 

To work at all it requires a degree of involvement and commitment on a near daily basis from the product owner (customer dear boy, customer) that just isn't possible when the customer has to get on with his or her own job.  In the infinitely improbable event that the customer does have the time to spare he or she will turn out to have either no bloody clue or to want 10 different things, all mutually incompatible, within the space of an hour.

And don't get me started on management who expect programmers to write solid production quality code against evanescent or non-existant specifications and with hopelessly woolly acceptance criteria in zero time using tools that don't remain stable for two months together.

And what Bledlow says; goes.  It's all just fresh lipstick on the same old pigs.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #449 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:53:26 pm »
You're all a bunch of gits in here.   I was thinking of applying for a permanent position but this thread reminds me of the utterfuckwitteryandtotalarsebollox that I would have to endure on a daily basis if i did.

Surely you should be thanking us for helping you escape a fate worse than death?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens