Author Topic: more insane management speak phrases  (Read 147451 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: more insane management speak phrases
« Reply #750 on: 03 June, 2022, 11:58:31 am »

I've been trying to reduce the number of tabs I have open. It's down to about 150 now.

The first 30 or so are always the same, the rest depend a lot...

I bet your desktop is more akin to this:

than this:

too :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #751 on: 03 June, 2022, 11:59:28 am »

That first pic makes me feel physically sick.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #752 on: 03 June, 2022, 12:03:03 pm »
The second one made me notice that I've neglected to rename the topmost item to “Dave's Anbaric Dustbin” too :facepalm:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #753 on: 03 June, 2022, 01:35:44 pm »

I've been trying to reduce the number of tabs I have open. It's down to about 150 now.

The first 30 or so are always the same, the rest depend a lot...

J

I  not quite that bad, maybe 40-50 in my case, in some cases work-related stuff that I plan to come back and read later, also Dilbert
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #754 on: 03 June, 2022, 01:39:37 pm »
Isn't this what Bookmarks are for?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #755 on: 03 June, 2022, 07:17:58 pm »

<snip>
too :demon:

Nope. My system has no desktop at all. Just blank screen covered in windows. There's no minimise for the windows, they also have no title bar, and a single one pixel boarder. It's incredibly low resource usage, very efficient for me to use. And has the added advantage that no one can use my laptop as it's too obscure...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #756 on: 03 June, 2022, 11:45:49 pm »

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #757 on: 04 June, 2022, 01:12:22 am »
Yeah, I know, but that God Mode wossname is quite handy.  I don’t think you can hide the Recycle Bin.  Can you?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #758 on: 04 June, 2022, 11:31:31 am »
Yeah, I know, but that God Mode wossname is quite handy.  I don’t think you can hide the Recycle Bin.  Can you?

Recycling bin? That's in the kitchen.

It's worth noting I use Linux and evilwm as my primary OS and window manager.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #759 on: 04 June, 2022, 12:09:24 pm »
The reason I think it's a particularly stupid idea is that if I'm in a job interview, I'll have no browser windows open at all. I especially won't have social media sites open. (I had an interview over Teams recently and made sure to close down all other apps and put my phone in airplane mode before it started. Like duh.)
This. But then I suppose there's another load of assumptions and guesses waiting to be written about people who have no windows open.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #760 on: 04 June, 2022, 12:21:23 pm »
The reason I think it's a particularly stupid idea is that if I'm in a job interview, I'll have no browser windows open at all. I especially won't have social media sites open. (I had an interview over Teams recently and made sure to close down all other apps and put my phone in airplane mode before it started. Like duh.)
This. But then I suppose there's another load of assumptions and guesses waiting to be written about people who have no windows open.

So you close all your windows and turn off your computer after each usage?

J
--

« Reply #761 on: 04 June, 2022, 12:25:45 pm »
Just press delete, then you can move the recycle bin to the recycle bin...
Or Settings > Personalisation > Themes > Desktop icon settings. Can choose what you want to show.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #762 on: 04 June, 2022, 12:54:48 pm »

J
???
I close windows I no longer need. I have for instance just closed the W****e window (it was
(click to show/hide)
). And I turn my computer off when I'm no longer using it, like I turn off the oven when the pizza I'm about to eat is done.

« Reply #763 on: 04 June, 2022, 01:37:50 pm »
It's not just management, it's infecting the junior ranks as well - I found this in a report I'm reviewing

"To facilitate the fulfilment of documentation requirements from CU to BU level efficiently"

It’d be more efficient if they were concise.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #764 on: 04 June, 2022, 02:07:23 pm »
Quote from: quixoticgeek
If by "usage" you mean session then yes.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #765 on: 04 June, 2022, 02:27:04 pm »

The Great Hall PC stays on 24/7 and the laptop only gets turned on every few months.  The Estate Office PC does get properly shut down because if you don't Windows had, and possibly still has, a nasty habit of waking it up to Do Things which you'd prefer it didn’t.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #766 on: 04 June, 2022, 03:31:36 pm »

???
I close windows I no longer need. I have for instance just closed the W****e window (it was
(click to show/hide)
). And I turn my computer off when I'm no longer using it, like I turn off the oven when the pizza I'm about to eat is done.

I suspend/hibernate/sleep my device when I am done with it for the current time. Then when I want to use it again I open it back up and resume exactly where I left off.

Your oven analogy isn't a good one. Better would be the TV. Do you leave it on standby where hitting the remote will bring you back to where you were. Or do you detune all the channels and unplug it from the wall?

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #767 on: 04 June, 2022, 04:05:55 pm »
A TV analogy would have to be the interviewer asking the last few programmes you watched, as your TV can't display more than one channel at a time. You can, however, have many pies in the oven at once.

But I don't actually understand what you mean about detuning all the channels. Once you've got the channels tuned in, they stay tuned in regardless of power supply. At least, they used to – perhaps TV sets have "progressed" in the ~18 years since I last had one!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #768 on: 04 June, 2022, 06:53:35 pm »
A TV analogy would have to be the interviewer asking the last few programmes you watched, as your TV can't display more than one channel at a time. You can, however, have many pies in the oven at once.

But I don't actually understand what you mean about detuning all the channels. Once you've got the channels tuned in, they stay tuned in regardless of power supply. At least, they used to – perhaps TV sets have "progressed" in the ~18 years since I last had one!

Once I have all the tabs open they stay open in the order and position I left them in.

J
--

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #769 on: 04 June, 2022, 08:16:09 pm »
As do the tabs in $BROWSER when you shut it down and restart it, provided you tick the “Restart where I left off” option in Settings.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #770 on: 04 June, 2022, 08:18:12 pm »
I switch off the TV power with a smart socket when not using it. I only have 1-3 tabs open on my browser at any one time. We are all different!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ian

« Reply #771 on: 04 June, 2022, 09:08:37 pm »
I shut everything down at the end of the day and start afresh the next. Otherwise I’d be incrementally cluttered to death.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #772 on: 04 June, 2022, 11:00:27 pm »

God Mode is the only icon on my desktop. lissotriton mentioned options oop north ^^^^

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #773 on: 04 June, 2022, 11:03:58 pm »
As do the tabs in $BROWSER when you shut it down and restart it, provided you tick the “Restart where I left off” option in Settings.

I achieve that by using the suspend/hibernate function. which also means my cad package is still where I left it.

I shut everything down at the end of the day and start afresh the next. Otherwise I’d be incrementally cluttered to death.

Do you come to a complete finish on all tasks at the end of a day? No carrying over of tasks to the next day ?

J
--

« Reply #774 on: 05 June, 2022, 05:00:08 pm »
[quote author=quixoticgeek link=topic=49325.msg2727219#msg2727219 date=
Quote from: Mr

Do you come to a complete finish on all tasks at the end of a day? No carrying over of tasks to the next day ?

J
[/quote
Surely it depends on the type of job. At work, I always turn off at the end of a clinic as there is nothing else to do.
At home some things stay open, eg route planning.