General Category > On The Road

This boffin checked out HiViz for cyclists, you won't believe what they found!

(1/13) > >>

hulver:
Sorry for the buzzfeed headline. ;D

The use of conspicuity aids by cyclists and the risk of crashes involving other road users: a population based case-control study

Conclusion :-

--- Quote ---There was therefore a raised odds ratio of collision crash involvement for those using conspicuity aids even after adjustment for a large number of important confounders.
--- End quote ---

Which I think means that people using HiViz are more likely to have incidents than people who don't. Although the whole thing needs more than a basic understanding of statistics to read.

--- Quote ---This study demonstrates the importance of understanding why many cyclists remain at risk of collision crash resulting in injury despite the use of conspicuity aids.
--- End quote ---

Doesn't matter if you wear HiViz stuff, drivers are still going to knock you off your bike.

David Martin:
What they found is that it doesn't matter how visible you are, that still requires  drivers to actually look where they are going.

red marley:
That's really interesting - thanks. Looks like a pretty robust study, or at least well aware of the possible methodological strengths and weaknesses. (BTW, "these boffins" is "a boffin" - Phil Miller's PhD thesis).

If nothing else, it goes some way to explaining why we have had endless thread discussions on HiViz that argue on the one hand that in the right circumstances HiViz can make you more conspicuous from a distance (true) and on the other that it makes no difference to being knocked off (also true).

And for a glass-half-full interpretation of your final sentence, I'd suggest a more accurate statement would be  "Doesn't matter if you wear HiViz stuff, drivers are not going to knock you off your bike".

clarion:

--- Quote from: David Martin on 23 October, 2014, 10:28:48 am ---What they found is that it doesn't matter how visible you are, that still requires  drivers to actually look where they are going.

--- End quote ---
Pre-bloody-cisely!

hulver:

--- Quote from: David Martin on 23 October, 2014, 10:28:48 am ---What they found is that it doesn't matter how visible you are, that still requires  drivers to actually look where they are going.

--- End quote ---

Neatly summarised :)

--- Quote from: jo on 23 October, 2014, 10:35:54 am ---That's really interesting - thanks. Looks like a pretty robust study, or at least well aware of the possible methodological strengths and weaknesses. (BTW, "these boffins" is "a boffin" - Phil Miller's PhD thesis).

If nothing else, it goes some way to explaining why we have had endless thread discussions on HiViz that argue on the one hand that in the right circumstances HiViz can make you more conspicuous from a distance (true) and on the other that it makes no difference to being knocked off (also true).

And for a glass-half-full interpretation of your final sentence, I'd suggest a more accurate statement would be  "Doesn't matter if you wear HiViz stuff, drivers are not going to knock you off your bike".

--- End quote ---

Title fixed.

I think I prefer your "glass-half-full" interpretation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version