Author Topic: Why would I want to buy a pint of wine for the first time evah...?  (Read 1305 times)

Why just why?
Well I suppose it makes sense as island BRITIAN does not now export anything..
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pints-of-wine-stocked-on-britains-shelves-for-the-first-time-ever
Shirley we don't need yet more packaging ? although 500 ml and 200ml (not the headline) makes some sense
The puff 'that is is a boost to industry I just don't belive'
I'm awaiting comment with bated breath, and then we may have to move this topic to NSFW or PAOBI !

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Why would I want to buy a pint of wine for the first time evah...?
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2023, 08:01:43 am »
1. Supermarkets won't stock both sizes due to space
2. Foreign producers are unlikely to bother producing in pint sizes
3. If pints of champagne supplant 75cl bottles (unlikely) you can bet they'll cost the same, because shrinkflation
4. In a consultation, no-one wanted this apart from one swivel-eyed loon in Margate with a Churchill duvet cover.

My guess is that it will die out.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:05:50 am »
S'obvious innit?  The Gov't, Gawd bless 'em, has solved all the major problems; homelessness, economic, infrastructure & societal collapse as well as the rampant inflation afflicting the UK and now has time to spare for all those minor irritations that plague us and which no good Gov't should ignore.  I have absolutely no idea* of the number of times I've thought to myself, "I really want a pint bottle of Champagne." and now I can have one. Oh what very heaven, to be alive in times such as these.

Supoose it might come in handy for launching small ships and yachts.

*Lie.  I have.  Exactly nought.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:49:19 am »
4. In a consultation, no-one wanted this apart from one swivel-eyed loon in Margate with a Churchill duvet cover.

Up to a point, Lord Copper.  It was Penfold lookalike and [“redacted” – The Invigilator] Mark François who first kicked up a fuss about being unable to buy champagne in pints.  And as was pointed out at the time:

1. a half-bottle plus a quarter-bottle add up to ~ 562 ml, and
c: François is a [“disagreeable person” – The Invigilator]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:53:00 am »
I suppose that press release does explain why you see 187.5ml bottles of still wine but never 200ml, while you do see 200ml bottles of fizz.

It doesn't, though, explain why it refers to the new permitted size as "a new 568ml 'pint' quantity" - the scare quotes around 'pint' look distinctly odd to me.

(I presume that the single quotes reflect that the bottle size has legally to be defined as metric, so even this symbolic casting off of our European shackles retains a reminder of our continued subjugation.)

« Reply #5 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:54:28 am »
1. a half-bottle plus a quarter-bottle add up to ~ 562 ml,

A half bottle plus 200ml add up to 575ml, which is more than a pint and therefore betterer.

« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2023, 10:00:16 am »
Also available on POBI!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2023, 12:14:17 pm »
I fairly infrequently drink wine, so haven't really noticed the 500ml and 200ml sizes. But I do remember that in the past some bottles were 700ml while some were 750ml. I think they're all standardized on 750 now, is that right? With that difference and the 62ml between a half litre and a pint, you're only getting/losing about half a glass, which seems, well, half-glassish. My prognosticatering (otherwise known as cynical guesswork) is that many UK-bottled wines will switch to pint, charging an extra ~20% for the larger size. After a while, they will return to the half litre but keep the new! improved! price!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2023, 12:32:19 pm »
Culture war.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 27 December, 2023, 01:51:05 pm »
In France more and more wines are available in 50cl botles in restaurants - the theory being that a full 75cl bottle is too much, and 37.5cl not enough for 2 people - 50cl being a good compromise.  [Or for the budget conscious "pichets" - i.e. wine not in a sealed bottle - come in 25, 50cl sizes - invariably with the pichet filled from a win box]

« Reply #10 on: 27 December, 2023, 02:19:08 pm »
It'll be a lot more convenient to redefine the "pint" as 500ml. And also the pound as 500g, although nobody uses the pound anymore.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11 on: 27 December, 2023, 03:07:05 pm »
In France more and more wines are available in 50cl botles in restaurants - the theory being that a full 75cl bottle is too much, and 37.5cl not enough for 2 people - 50cl being a good compromise.  [Or for the budget conscious "pichets" - i.e. wine not in a sealed bottle - come in 25, 50cl sizes - invariably with the pichet filled from a win box]
There was a time when bistros and restaurants used to offer carafes of wine. My sister worked in a Cavalier Steak House (a brewery pub chain restaurant) and she has a few tales of uneducated but pretentious folk insisting on tasting the wine and then rejecting it as ‘corked’. These stories seldom end well for the customer.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 27 December, 2023, 03:11:35 pm »
Prediction:  Someone will sell a batch of wine in the classic Express Dairies bottle.  These will be bought for comedy[1] value, and then never seen again.

This will be considered a huge success for BRITISH sovereignty.

[1] Greatly diminished by the unwillingness to make an Ian Rush shitvert campaign, after what happened last time.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 27 December, 2023, 04:49:49 pm »
Professor Larrington expressed disbelief yesterday that it was still possible to buy milk in pints, citing as proof the litre of semi-skilled she obtained from Henry of Hook Norton the other day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14 on: 27 December, 2023, 05:33:50 pm »
There was a time when bistros and restaurants used to offer carafes of wine. My sister worked in a Cavalier Steak House (a brewery pub chain restaurant) and she has a few tales of uneducated but pretentious folk insisting on tasting the wine and then rejecting it as ‘corked’. These stories seldom end well for the customer.

Err, a pichet is a carafe (and such things are still available her in the UK in some places)

. . . and to paraphrase Basil Fawlty, if the wine wasn't corked it would fall out of the bottle.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 27 December, 2023, 07:29:59 pm »
Prediction:  Someone will sell a batch of wine in the classic Express Dairies bottle.  These will be bought for comedy[1] value, and then never seen again.

This will be considered a huge success for BRITISH sovereignty.

[1] Greatly diminished by the unwillingness to make an Ian Rush shitvert campaign, after what happened last time.
Of course. What other shape could a pint bottle take?* I mean, even if you buy a bottle of beer that's brewed in ENGLAND and sold in pubs by the pint, the bottle is always 500ml.

*Yes, I know it could take the old, long-necked milk bottle shape. Or some other shape completely. But a pint is a pint and if it isn't beer, it must be milk. Or blood.**
**Hancock.***
***Not Mattie.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16 on: 27 December, 2023, 07:40:36 pm »
Here we use the term a 'Giraffe' of wine, because that was what the Smalls called them when they were little!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 27 December, 2023, 08:48:29 pm »
I'm old enough to remember the previous design of doorstep milk bottles.  The current ones, dating from the late 1970s, are dumpier with more of a curve into the neck - the old ones had a long conical neck.  The new one was called "Pintie".
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:23:08 pm »
Speaking as someone at least partly responsible for about 15% of the wine sold in the UK.

It ain't happening.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:29:18 pm »
So - it will be in 568ml bottles but the cost per ml will be probably be higher than the cost per ml of a 750ml bottle.

« Reply #20 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:34:24 pm »
That's already the case for the other sizes, as so much of what you pay is packaging and (for example) the bottle, label, cap and case for a 187ml bottle are not 25% the price of a 75cl.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: 27 December, 2023, 09:45:06 pm »
Speaking of heavy bottles I believe the Wine Society are trialling cartons and other such light weight wine packaging.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #22 on: 28 December, 2023, 09:54:24 am »
Quote from: rogerzilla
I'm old enough to remember the previous design of doorstep milk bottles.  ....the old ones had a long conical neck.
And they, in their turn, were a development of the previous style which used a cardboard pull top disc rather than a pressed on tinfoil top.  Viz*:

*Yes,  I did use that word because it was RZ's post. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23 on: 28 December, 2023, 11:03:01 am »
You now have me wondering where my Pogs and Tazzos are.