Author Topic: Pass through AA cell  (Read 1585 times)

Pass through AA cell
« on: 20 April, 2018, 04:35:24 pm »
I'm looking for an AA cell to put in a battery holder which takes six cells but I only need five to provide the necessary juice for the application.  It has of course to be conductive so as to ensure that the circuit is completed.

Anybody know if such a thing exists?

Re: Pass through AA cell
« Reply #1 on: 20 April, 2018, 04:46:47 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:19:17 pm »
Golly these used the be really popular for handheld CB radios (which definitely WEREN'T called walkie talkies).
They ran on 12 volts (for car compatibility) and typically had 10xAA slots intended for 1.2v NiCads, but if you put 1.5v non-rechargeable in you'd only need 8 and fill the remaining two slots with dummies.

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
Thanks Spesh.   :thumbsup:

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2018, 11:28:12 am »
A bit of dowel and some alu foil?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2018, 03:01:27 pm »
Maplins sell 'em.  Well at least they always used to, but I'm unsure of when Maplins are giving up the ghost totally.  I've got one from there, its fine.
Wombat

« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2018, 11:37:07 pm »
A decade or two ago, I made one from some copper pipe, probably 8mm, though old enough that it might have been some antique Imperial size. A couple of supports, to bring it up to AA diameter, were made out of offcuts from uPVC double glazing. I don't think I bothered to tin the ends of the pipe, which would have made it a bit more corrosion resistant.

No photos, I'm afraid. I did hunt briefly, but it's probably buried in the depths of the bits box, superseded by alternator powered bike lighting, which isn't very relevant to OP.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2018, 08:33:20 am »
This is my 10x cell box converted for 9x cells, using a pen top and two solder tags.

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll